End of year grades?
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By fairylover

Thread: End of year grades?

sharkbait is offline Junior Member

Default End of year grades?

as wondering just how do we figure out if our kids have passed that grade and ready to move on to the next grade?
    my son is doing great and ive even had him do work sheets from several different workbooks.
    he seems to be doing great but im not sure what or how to tell if he passes the 3rd grade into the 4th grade????
    i have done a report of his score here but there are several % and im not sure how to figure out the main grade for that subject,.

fairylover is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

One of the great things about homeschooling is the flexibility that we have in how we grade or even if we grade. Some families want a specific grade so they take the overall percentage for the class and give it a grade.
    90%-A
    80%-B
    70%-C
    60%-D
    Below 60 if failing.

Others raise the bar a bit:
    93%-A
    88%-B
    80%-C
    75%-D
    Less than 75% failing.

Still others use the pass fail. If the overall percentage is higher that 75% they pass, if not they fail.

I think you know your child better than anyone else. Does he know the material? Will he be overwhelmed if he moves on to the next grade level? Does he need to review more before he moves on? If you think he has a good grasp of the material, move him up. If you find he struggles with one or more subjects, you can always go back for those subjects and review the lower level. Remember, you have access to one level above and one level below where he is currently working.

With my son, when he completed all the work for a subject, I moved him up in that subject. If he didn't complete the work he stayed at the lower level. We always reviewed anything he struggled with right away until he understood it. So we didn't have to go back in June to catch up on things he didn't understand.
    Pashta likes this.
    Kathi Homeschooling Mama to Twelve year old Dakota

Mandy in TN is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by fairylover View Post
    I think you know your child better than anyone else. Does he know the material? Will he be overwhelmed if he moves on to the next grade level? Does he need to review more before he moves on? If you think he has a good grasp of the material, move him up. If you find he struggles with one or more subjects, you can always go back for those subjects and review the lower level. Remember, you have access to one level above and one level below where he is currently working.

With my son, when he completed all the work for a subject, I moved him up in that subject. If he didn't complete the work he stayed at the lower level. We always reviewed anything he struggled with right away until he understood it. So we didn't have to go back in June to catch up on things he didn't understand.
    I agree.
    Mandy
    ds Doodlebug 11yo
    currently homeschooling with an eclectic mess of stuff

homeschool graduates:
    ds Cashew 20yo
    ds Peanut 22yo

Blog Entries

Thanks Mandy.

Skool Time is offline Senior Member

i use excel to calculate the final grade, because like u said, there are several % and id like to know what the final grade will be. i know my daughter's learning capability but id like a final grade report to print and add to our portfolio.
    i have the excel file and i can share it with you if youd like.

Blog Entries

I print out the final report for each subject as he finishes that subject. I keep these printouts in a notebook that is divided by grade level. That way I have a record of his progress. It doesn't give a letter grade, but it does show progress.

sharkbait is offline Junior Member

Default end of year final grade

Quote Originally Posted by Skool Time View Post
    i use excel to calculate the final grade, because like u said, there are several % and id like to know what the final grade will be. i know my daughter's learning capability but id like a final grade report to print and add to our portfolio.
    i have the excel file and i can share it with you if youd like.

end of year yes can i have the excel file please to help me out

Blog Entries

I hope Skool Time sees this and shares that file with you. Like I said, I just print out that final report for the subject and add that to my folder.

reb621 is offline Member

Mine are NOT mastering the material, and their exam scores are low (Ds and Fs), but the lesson quizzes are Bs and Cs, so they're getting it AT THE TIME...and therefore it's likely to come back to them if/when they see it again...hopefully. So I don't feel too many qualms about moving them up to the next grade level once they complete a subject. (Plus we're playing catchup. My 15-yr-old 8th grader is currently doing 6th grade work in all but LA and LAx (she completed 8th in those). My 7th grader is also behind, so I'm kind of pushing them along, having them redo only the math lessons (because they're building blocks) and some of the basic science (such as scientific method) and social studies (like Civil War, US History) lessons that they need later.

However, I just put the average of their lesson activities and quizzes (the Bs and Cs) as their report card grade, along with a note about the "final exam" grade (which is the average of all chapter tests--usually Ds and Fs). Mine are awful test-takers anyway as they struggle to understand inferences and "trick" questions (where a red herring answer is provided to throw them off track). But I also want to show that they understand the material AT THE TIME they're doing it (lesson quiz average). And some of the low test scores are because mine are sneaky and will skip the chapter tests just to avoid seeing a low grade. (Of course making it up a week or two later when Mom catches it guarantees a low grade, but mine are impulsive and don't think this skipping thing through!)

Blog Entries

When you print your final report you can exclude the chapter tests. Tell the report to just print the lessons and the quizzes. That way the chapter tests won't even show up on your report.