excuses for school work and how we countered them
    Brook Simmons is offline Senior Member

Default excuses for school work and how we countered them

So I am looking to get feed back or ideas to things that may occur or things that have already happened and would like to use this thread to prepare and give feed back on our smart children trying to get out of work entirely.

For example some years back my oldest child no matter what seemed to always break her pencil or loose them and I was always never able to find a pencil when it came time for her to do her schoolwork.
    This is how we kicked it in the rump. I gathered all the pencils in the house into 1 box and I had bought A LOT. I mean they were constantly disappearing. I found many pencils snapped in half in her room and put them in the box as well. I also bought many packages of new pencils as well. I bought a pencil sharpener and a package of erasers that slip on the top. I was waiting for the next time. My pencil is broke and I cant find anymore.Sure enough she had a huge report due and all the pencils that were not gathered in the box went missing. ( found out later she was giving them away at school) Anyways I brought out my box of pencils sat her down at the kitchen table with a bowl to put shavings in gave her the sharpener and instructed her to put erasers on all of them even the ones that were broken. I expected to see all the pencils sharpened and in working order before she had dinner.
    So at all times now we have a box of sharpened pencils and box of erasers.
    Also it ended up that this child became extremely picky and only uses mechanical pencils now but I told her she was old enough now to use her allowance to pay for them since the couples of times I did buy them for her she would come home saying the lead spilled out everywhere and she could not find it.

My youngest child is real good with whining and complaining about everything.
    I am hungry, This is even after she has eaten a bowl of cereal and when I tell her I saw her eat it it is.
    My tummy hurts. I tell her oh well you can work till you feel the need throw up or something.
    I have to go to the bathroom. Ok use the bathroom but make sure you go real good because its going to be awhile before you can use it again.
    I am tired I want to go back to sleep- Ok that tv show I was waiting to watch with you you go to sleep and I will watch it without you. I was hoping to see it with you when you got your work done but its not going to happen today so I will watch it while you are in bed.

So my plans when I start homeschooling for her real is to make sure she has a big breakfast with plenty of grab and go snacks available and she has used the bathroom. I do not think she realizes I am keeping a list and preparing for it.

What excuses or problems have you run into and how have you countered them or turned it into something productive?

fairylover is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

What a great thread Brooke. The one I get most often is "I'm hungry." No matter how long it has been since he last ate he is always starving when it is time to do school work.
    Kathi Homeschooling Mama to Twelve year old Dakota

Blog Entries

Watching my grandchildren do their work today brought up another one. I can't do my lesson, the internet crashed.

My DD is always 'starving' (school work or no school work). So to keep us on track we always have fresh fruit (apples or bananas), that way she can eat and work at the same time.
    Quote Originally Posted by fairylover View Post
    What a great thread Brooke. The one I get most often is "I'm hungry." No matter how long it has been since he last ate he is always starving when it is time to do school work.

Blog Entries

How do children ever sit in school all day as hungry as homeschoolers always seem to be? Yes this is a common excuse.