Feeling overwhelmed!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    JMF
    JMF is offline Junior Member

Default Feeling overwhelmed!

I have been home schooling my kids through a Charter School for the past few years and finally became so overwhelmed and frustrated with the insane amount of work they put on the kids that I left the program with the hopes of being able to do my own thing to help further my children's education.

Sadly because of the amount of unnecessary work they placed on each of my kids, (which I discovered was all in preparation for the State test), we did get behind last year and I am feeling a sense of panic set in when I think about how behind we are and if they will ever be able to catch up. I have 5 kids that I am teaching and 5 different grade levels, (Pre-K, Kindergarten, 2nd, 4th, and 5th).

What can I do to get my kids started off on the right foot for this next school year and is there any way to get them caught up? I really feel that I am failing them and just want them to feel good about where they are at. Should I drop them to the grade below the actual grade they are in so they can do some catch up from last year??? Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks so much!

fairylover is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

We got terribly behind last year as well. We had a death in the family. Then we had to move because our lease was in the name of the person we lost. We ended up buying a house. Then we remodeled our kitchen. All told, it put us about six months behind. My goal is try to finish fourth grade by the end of the year and then start fifth grade. I don't think that is going to happen but it is a goal to work toward. I would continue on where the kids left off. Your older kids should be able to do some work independently.

Are you using Time4Learning now? If you are, I would let them do the final tests for the grade that they got behind in. If they pass the test with an acceptable grade, let them skip the lessons. If they can't pass the test, then have them go back and do the lessons and then retake the test. That's what we do a lot of the time.

Don't stress about them being behind. They will pick up on your stress. They will learn what they need to know before they head off to college. School have to "teach to the test." Frequently their funding is dependent upon how well their students do on certain tests. So often they are not teaching to help the students improve their knowledge. They are teaching them to pass the test. I would much rather my son learn to use his mind and enjoy learning.

I don't know what state you are in but at the top of this page there is a drop down menu which has a Parent Forum for each state. Head on over to your state and spend some time on the forum. Relax and enjoy your children.
    Kathi Homeschooling Mama to Twelve year old Dakota

Default Ref mom who feesl she has gotten behind

Quote Originally Posted by fairylover View Post
    We got terribly behind last year as well. We had a death in the family. Then we had to move because our lease was in the name of the person we lost. We ended up buying a house. Then we remodeled our kitchen. All told, it put us about six months behind. My goal is try to finish fourth grade by the end of the year and then start fifth grade. I don't think that is going to happen but it is a goal to work toward. I would continue on where the kids left off. Your older kids should be able to do some work independently.

Are you using Time4Learning now? If you are, I would let them do the final tests for the grade that they got behind in. If they pass the test with an acceptable grade, let them skip the lessons. If they can't pass the test, then have them go back and do the lessons and then retake the test. That's what we do a lot of the time.

Don't stress about them being behind. They will pick up on your stress. They will learn what they need to know before they head off to college. School have to "teach to the test." Frequently their funding is dependent upon how well their students do on certain tests. So often they are not teaching to help the students improve their knowledge. They are teaching them to pass the test. I would much rather my son learn to use his mind and enjoy learning.

I don't know what state you are in but at the top of this page there is a drop down menu which has a Parent Forum for each state. Head on over to your state and spend some time on the forum. Relax and enjoy your children.

Hi I know how this mom feels I have a ten year old that i am homeschooling this year becuase the school basically just taught to test and my son is really behind especially in Math. i have joined time for learning and decided to start one grade below his grade level with science langage arts and social studies and two grades below with math. My feeling is he age is not a factor as long as he is getting what he needs before finishing high school. i would rather take him back a year or two than have struggle with materials he is not ready for.

JMF

Thank you Fairylover! I appreciate your encouraging words and already feel a whole lot better. I am sorry for your loss but understand where you are coming from. On top of the insane amount of work the other school put on us last year I miscarried, twice, and we moved twice - finally buying a house.

It is kind of crazy to think I could possibly get them caught up but I do like your idea for seeing where they are at and will do the test for them this week. I am hoping that they picked up more than I think over the last school year. One can hope right? LOL =) Anyhow, I do look forward to relaxing and enjoying my kids and making this a more stress free and happy learning environment. Thank you again from your suggestions and encouraging words! =)

Blog Entries

You are so right Hawksnest. Age does not matter. My son is actually finishing up 2nd grade language arts extensions. He is a very reluctant reader. He tried to read something to his dad when he was around 6 and his dad laughed at him. It took over three years to get him interested in reading again after that. He is doing 3rd grade science because I hate it so much that I have a hard time teaching it. And fourth grade in everything else. I know one mom refers to the different levels instead of grades.

JMF, I am so sorry for your losses. Many people just don't get the pain of the loss of a child even in early pregnancy. My daughter had 8 miscarriages before she was able to carry her youngest daughter to term. Each one was a horrible loss for her. And two moves, yes it is easy to see why you feel your little ones are behind. But they will catch up. They will be fine. Just relax and keep on going.

JMF

Hawksnest1 and Fairylover,

Thank you for your support! I am wondering Fairylover where I go to get the final test for their grade at and does anyone have to administer it or can I give it to them? Also, I didn't realize that with Time4Learning there would be end of the year test given so do I need to turn it into someone or just file it?

Hawksnest1, I think it will be easier if I drop them below grade level until the get a little more comfortable so thanks for the suggestion.

Blog Entries

I guess I wasn't clear about the testing. There is no final test at the end of the year. I was talking about the tests that are at the end of the units or chapters. Since I don't know what state you are in I don't know if you have to do any end of the year testing or not. This varies from state to state. Where I live there is no testing, no reports to turn in, no one to answer to but yourself and your child.

JMF

I thought that's what you were referring to but wanted to double check. Thanks for getting back to me. We're in CA so my understanding is that we do no tests as well, but I better double check on that too! You have really been a HUGE help and I feel real good about this school year and took your advice to relax and enjoy my kids to heart. Thank you for helping me through this. =) Have a good week!

Blog Entries

Glad to help. I was once a newcomer as well. I remember how scarey it was.

SamMia is offline Junior Member Newbie

I just cam on this thread because I too am feeling overwhelmed. I've been homeschooling my daughter since pre-k. But I am so worried about her development now that she is in the first grade. She just turned six last August and she's been through so many changes with our family. I recently had a baby in February and was so sick during the pregnancy, I was practically bed-ridden the entire time. I could barely lift a fork to my mouth, never mind eating. Her learning suffered because I couldn't teach anymore. I used to teach her and my pastor's daughter together, and that just stopped almost cold-turkey.

She's gone from that active environment to just herself now. And i can tell she's bored. She's such a trooper though. She doesn't complain. But I know she's bored because she has trouble keeping focus. Is that typical at six? Now my son is 7 months and such a handful! I'm about two arms short on help with him. He always wants to be in my arms, and screams (more like Tarzan-shrieks) when i put him down. Which only serves to break into my teaching time with his sister. Even now trying to type this he's pulling on my arm to get into them. I feel guilty because he is so demanding he takes the lion's share of my attention. And she doesn't complain, just waits her turn. I feel like I'm neglecting my child on every level.

My days just feel so helter-skelter. Then my husband started a new job around the time of my delivery in Feb which takes him out of state into NJ. So now he's gone all day. I'm by myself. We came down to my mom to cut his commute a bit because it was just too long. Now we have to move again to get closer to his job. I just want my family settled. And trying to teach her in all this upheaval is stressful. I've cried so many times since school began this September.

I had such hopes for homeschooling, but I've begun feeling like putting her in school is a better option. I think maybe it will help if I find other homeschoolers around so we can interact. And she can develop some friendships with other homeschoolers. We're the only ones I know in my area. Her friends live far and are all in school.

Some advice would be great, if I made any sense. I'm tired and losing hope...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast