First Time Home schooler with a child with learning disabilities
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By PhyllisA
  • 2 Post By onlyme4430

Thread: First Time Home schooler with a child with learning disabilities

guinkim is offline Junior Member

Default First Time Home schooler with a child with learning disabilities

Hello I am homeschooling my 2 children my daughter has a learning disabilty and I am trying not to overwhelm her does anyone have any suggestions?Thank You

PhyllisA is offline Junior Member

I would allow her to proceed at her own pace.

Make sure you print out resources (like worksheets), get books from the library, and materials for supplemental projects/experiments, so she can engage in other types of learning too. (Some supplemental materials are needed at the lower grades (K - 8), but high school has everything on the website. You might want to get some books from the library or supplement the writing if she's in high school.

The most important thing is giving her extra time, offering help when needed, and having fun.
    Last edited by PhyllisA; 08-28-2015 at 07:48 PM.
    bjd7774 likes this.

onlyme4430 is offline Member

patience and not rushing through material for sure will help. try to figure out how she learns the best and go with that...what activities is she most interested in when learning...computer based, creative things, reading...that may help keep her motivated and on task. remember that as a homeschooler, you don't have to feel the pressure of completing everything in 1 school year like she would in "regular" school. with my special needs son, we started really slow over the summer doing 20-35 minutes a day so he could get used to the program and how it worked...now we've added in the extra stuff i'm supplementing the t4l curriculum with and it's working out so far. don't get discouraged and consider giving lots of breaks in your schedule so she doesn't get frustrated too
    bjd7774 and family1st like this.

I am in the same boat. I have a five year old that is ASD. He is very high functioning. Is there another website that offers a full complete curriculum for younger kids? He is doing second and third grade reading activities. Has already done all of the social studies and science. Now he's on third grade level on this site, and all you do is read. It's not fun nor entertaining like the other ones were. Please advise. I am a sahm first time homeschooler, no transportation to library etc for other materials. Thanks.

Camey82 is offline Junior Member

Just try to keep it fun. It's hard sometimes to get too bogged down in the scoring and what have you of homeschooling. Children learn at their own paces. One day something will seem about as clear as mud to them. Then one day, bam, it just clicks.

Find what works for your little one. Some children like hands on, working with manipulatives. Others do well with reading and gleaning information. Find out how your child likes to learn and then run with that. Don't be afraid to think out of the box. Learning can occur in so many different ways. Use multiple resources; movies, field trips, random conversations, while cooking, shopping, you name it!

Never compare her to other children, not even siblings. Try not to praise correct answers. Instead praise hard work. Praising correct answers can sometimes chip at a child's self esteem when they get it wrong. Praising the fact that they're working really hard to learn will ensure that their self-esteem is kept intact while still encouraging them to continue working hard until they can get correct answers. Does that make sense? Hope that helps.

I have five children myself. The oldest is now in public school in 8th grade and my youngest is three. Quite a bit of experience under my belt. I'm still learning though! Each child is a new adventure.