free high school education - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Hello - what do you think of Connections Academy? Free Online School from Home: Connections Academy . My daughter is in the 8th grade this year. She's not sure yet what she wants to do next year.
    Vicki
    Mom to Prissy Sarah 9th grade & Game King Caleb college freshman

davidscott5 is offline Junior Member Newbie

A free GED online class with a free practice math pre test. Preparation for the Math, ... training programs. Practice for your high school diploma equivalency exam.

after school club ideas

Mandy in TN is offline Senior Member

Connections is incredibly expensive in TN. It looks like it is close to $400/semester/class. For that price we can take classes at the community college and if we take the basic general ed requirements then they will transfer to the state 4-year institutions! Currently, TN does not have a free public school at home option for high school. OTOH, if Connections was a free public school at home option offered in my state, I would certainly look into it.

Sorry, I know that isn't any help.
    Mandy
    ds Doodlebug 11yo
    currently homeschooling with an eclectic mess of stuff

homeschool graduates:
    ds Cashew 20yo
    ds Peanut 22yo

fairylover is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

That is so true Maxwell. To me government money usually means government control.
    Kathi Homeschooling Mama to Twelve year old Dakota

Syele is offline Member

Ambleside online is free, but it will be alot of work on your part. (I always say, if its free in money it wont be free in time). Ambleside Online

Blog Entries

I'm making a list of all of these sites. Eventually we will need resources for high school.

Blog Entries

Mandy, I just checked Connections in my state. It's over $4000 for the year. That's outrageous.

If I were going to try to do high school for free, here is some of what I would use:

Khan Academy (for maths alongside a text, economics)
    CK12.ORG - FlexBooks (for science- biology, chemistry, physics)
    HippoCampus - Homework and Study Help - Free help with your algebra, biology, environmental science, American government, US history, physics and religion homework (for environmental science, US History, American Government)
    Daily Grammar Archive - Comprehensive Archive of Grammar Lessons (grammar)
    High School English (for Language Arts support- daily grammar is actually linked on this page)
    Annenberg Learner High School Level video learning

9th grade
    Language Arts 1 (start with Daily Grammar, CK12.org's Composition Commonsense, and suggestions from High School Engish)
    Algebra (of course T4L offers Algebra, but I would still use the Khan Academy Exercise Dashboard for drill and after that I would move on to Khan Academy and use CK12.org texts if I needed more)
    Environmental Science (HippoCampus Environmental Science)
    World Geography (This one I would put together myself starting with Annenberg Learner videos)
    World Religion (HippoCampus Religions of the World)

10th grade
    Language Arts 2 (finish Daily Grammar and CK12.org's Composition Commonsense, and suggestions from High School Engish)
    Geometry (I would use the Khan Academy Exercise Dashboard for drill and Khan Academy and use CK12.org texts if I needed more)
    Biology (CK12.org Biology with videos from HowStuffWorks)
    World History: Western Civilization (I would start with these videos and add library material.)
    Art History (I would start with Art of the Western World at Annenberg Learner and inlcude stuff from Art History Spot. Art History Spot is nice, because it has easy categories to navigate.)

11th grade
    Language Arts 3 (American Passages from Annenberg Learner with library books)
    Algebra 2 (I would use the Khan Academy Exercise Dashboard for drill and Khan Academy and use CK12.org texts if I needed more)
    Chemistry (CK12.org and Khan Academy lectures)
    American History (CK12.org and Annenberg Videos)
    Foriegn Language 1 (for this I would get a tutor, but there are online resources for the highly motivated)

12th grade
    Language Arts 4 (British Literature, I can't find something online that I like in a quick search, but Luminarium comes close.)
    Pre-calculus/ Trig (I would use the Khan Academy Exercise Dashboard for drill and Khan Academy and use CK12.org texts if I needed more)
    Physics (CK12.org People's Physics with videos)
    US Govt: 1 semester (HippoCampus US Govt, lightly in order to finish in 1 semester)
    Economics: 1 semester (hmm, there is CK12.org project based economics and Khan Academy has quite a few lectures that fall in this category)
    Foriegn Language 2 (for this I would get a tutor, but there are online resources for the highly motivated)

Ask me next week and I'm sure I can come up with a whole new set.
    Mandy
    ds Doodlebug 11yo

homeschool graduates:
    ds Cashew 20yo
    ds Peanut 22yo

Blog Entries

Mandy this list is great. I'm copying it for future reference. People are always asking me about homeschooling for high school.

Quote Originally Posted by fairylover View Post
    Mandy this list is great. I'm copying it for future reference. People are always asking me about homeschooling for high school.
    Thanks. The thing is that home schooling high school can be very tailored to fit the interests of the child and what he plans to do after graduation. I can come up with lists like this all day and none of them may be exactly right for any particular family.

For example, if you have a child that had Algebra 1 in 8th grade or is ready in 9th grade to hit the ground running with essays and research papers, you may want to condense those four years into 3. Then, the child can dual enroll for his senior year. Of course, some children can condense some subjects, but not others. So, a child may dual enroll math his senior year, but really need high school English over four years.

9th grade- 5 1/3 credits
    LA1- World Lit with a focus on Eastern Hemisphere cultures (Invitation to World Lit)
    World History 1 w/ a 1/3 credit in Eastern Hemisphere geography
    Biology
    Geometry
    Art or Music (start at Annenberg and go from there.)

10th grade- 5 1/3 credits
    LA2- English Lit
    World History 2 w/ a 1/3 credit in European geography
    Chemistry
    Algebra 2
    Foreign Language 1

11th grade- 5 1/3 credits
    LA3- American Lit
    Govt/ Econ w/ a 1/3 credit in American geography
    Physics
    Trigonometry
    Foreign Language 2

My oldest also did philosophy in 9th, logic in 10th, and rhetoric in 11th. For philosphy, he used Sophie's World with the online notes from St John's College High School. We just bought texts for logic and rhetoric.

My second son did studio art as a 9th grader and art history in 10th and 11th. There are a ton of free materials for this. Now as a senior he is taking Humanities 1 (arts and culture from prehistory through the Renaissance) through dual enrollment.

If you had a child who was interested in computers, there are a ton a free resources for this.

My oldest son did not take physics. He took physical science as a 9th grader and marine biology as an 11th grader with a textbooks. The colleges he looked at wanted 3 sciences and specifically wanted to see biology and chemistry. Even as a senior, he had to claw his way through chemistry.

My second has taken a ton of science, because it is no big deal for him. OTOH, he hasn't read nearly as much as my oldest. It just isn't his thing.

Planning high school is a lot of fun. If your child is planning on going to college, look at the requirements for the colleges to which he will likely apply. As long as you cover the entrance requirements, everything else is fair game to be tailored to your child. You can really play to your child's interests!

HTH-
    Mandy
    ds Doodlebug 11yo

homeschool graduates:
    ds Cashew 20yo
    ds Peanut 22yo

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast