Frustrated!

Thread: Frustrated!

MrsHamilton is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default Frustrated!

I don't know what to do. I just started home schooling my 9 year old daughter who has dyslexia. She was supposed to be going into fourth grade this year but because of her learning disability, she only reads at a first grade reading level and is having a very hard time getting past the 2's in her adding. I thought home schooling would be the best option for her to get caught up and gain some much needed self esteem. However, it has been a horrendous experience so far. We start each day with her crying and missing her school friends. She thinks she is home schooled because she is stupid. I have talked, and talked with her and let her know that she is VERY smart. I have told her she just learns a little differently and that we will be able to help her better at home. However, she is inconsolable. She cries through most of her lessons and is very difficult to teach because she constantly says its too hard. I don't know if she's playing me because she doesn't want to work or if she is really struggling that badly... I hate seeing my once happy 9 year old so depressed. We are joining a co-op next week and I think that will help but it's only one day a week. Has anyone else experienced this kind of struggle? I know that God placed it on my heart to home school her and the public school system was clearly failing her. How dod I make this a success? She is already so far behind her peers. I don't want her to fall even further behind because of all the crying and no learning. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. All of my best efforts are failing.

Kimberly

fairylover is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

Sounds like you are having a really bad time of it. If it were my child I would back off of organized school work a bit. Let her have a little time of deschooling to get used to the change in her life. Find a good homeschool group in your area that you can connect into so she can make new friends. I'm sure the coop will help as well. She needs to be around other kids and you need the support of the other moms. When you do start doing school work again ease into it just a few lessons a day. And start at a lower level so it won't be so hard for her. Come on over to the Kentucky Parent Forum and introduce yourself. Hopefully there will be someone close to you on that list. I would also suggest you check out the special needs forum.

I have a ten year old who says he can't read. He refuses to do a lot of the work because it is too hard. But when I read it to him, he does a great job. Maybe if you sit down with her and read the lessons to her it won't be so tramatic.
    Kathi Homeschooling Mama to Twelve year old Dakota

greeneye_jen is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default I understand your pain

I am basically going through the same thing with my 12 yr old daughter. We have always stuggled with her and school. Before school was out for the summer they did a regular evalutaion of her and found out she is mildly I.D. Finally during this summer break I decided to homeschool her knowing that she would just basically be put on the back burner in a special eduation room. I knew she could succeed if she had one on one attention all the time! She didnt have much friends at school due to her being "different". So I knew I could build her up as a person and gain self confidence! At first she was sad because she missed her school life. I had to make her understand that this is the best thing for her in this part of her life. I have too started slow with her so she could adjust.But I understand the behind part. She is in the 6th grade but doing 3rd grade level work. It hurts me that she is so far behind but I know that God will guide me and her in the right direction! I have 2 teacher friends in the public schools in my town and they both support us so that really helps. I know how difficult it is to have a child with a special need but alwasy remember that God will not allow anything to enter your life if he knew you couldn't handle it Hope my story can encourage you in some way!
    Jennifer

Quote Originally Posted by fairylover View Post
    Sounds like you are having a really bad time of it. If it were my child I would back off of organized school work a bit. Let her have a little time of deschooling to get used to the change in her life. Find a good homeschool group in your area that you can connect into so she can make new friends. I'm sure the coop will help as well. She needs to be around other kids and you need the support of the other moms. When you do start doing school work again ease into it just a few lessons a day. And start at a lower level so it won't be so hard for her. Come on over to the Kentucky Parent Forum and introduce yourself. Hopefully there will be someone close to you on that list. I would also suggest you check out the special needs forum.

I have a ten year old who says he can't read. He refuses to do a lot of the work because it is too hard. But when I read it to him, he does a great job. Maybe if you sit down with her and read the lessons to her it won't be so tramatic.

fairylover is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

Hi Jennifer, Your words were indeed encouraging. Sometimes when we are going through hard times with our child it does make it better to talk to someone who has been there or is going through the same thing. I would encourage you both to join local homeschool groups for this kind of support.
    Kathi Homeschooling Mama to Twelve year old Dakota