Grade 7 & 8 Science
    canadianmom is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default Grade 7 & 8 Science

I just enrolled my 7th Grade child and was surprised and disappointed to see that there is no science curriculum available. I love everything else I see but the lack of science at this grade level is a major problem. Does anyone know if this is to be added anytime in the not too distant future? I would hate to have to go to an additional provider.

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Science and social studies are offered as free bonuses. (See statement under Science and Social Studies at http://www.time4learning.com .)

Here's a previous statement from John Edelson (Time4Learning founder) regarding plans for middle school science: "Time4Learning provides the programs that it gets from ChildU/Compass with some additions such as the playground and removing some materials that we consider lower quality. In some cases, the science and social studies are great. But in some grades, the offering is thin or non-existent, So, Time4Learning positions these subjects as "free bonuses". Over time, Time4Learning would like to have a more complete offering but since product plans can change, we urge people to evaluate what we have today and not to sign up based on expectations of new offerings. Otherwise, we would be making promises which we cannot be sure to deliver."

This is Kelly again. My own middle schoolers, who didn't use Time4Learning at the lower levels, are working on fifth- and sixth-grade science and social studies and are finding there's plenty to learn (or review). This might not work for everyone, but it's great for us. You might try letting him work through a test or two in some of the lower levels and see how he scores. If his scores aren't great, maybe he'll benefit from the lower levels. The curriculum is very thorough and I'm glad my older kids aren't going to miss it.

I don't tell my kids that "level" corresponds to "grade".

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

Sonja Philip is offline Junior Member Newbie

hmmmm - since we just started 6th with my oldest & I didn’t know there wasn’t a science for 7th, I'm thinking I may back off on the # of lessons he does each week for science and stretch it to two years.....

(still prayin for that highschool T4L tho!!)
    sonja

"Train a child in the way he should go, and when he is old he will not turn from it."

Mommydynee is offline Junior Member Newbie

This is our 1st year in T4L and we are in 8th grade. My dd is doing the science though it was given for 6th grade. She had science other years, so we are using the T4L as a method of review and to go deeper in the concepts. I've assigned a 4 month science project that she works on along with the T4L. Though she has studied the Scientific Method before, she is now using it for more in -depth work in her project. It takes a little more of my time to keep ahead of the game plan, but so far I can easily adapt the T4L program to her learning level. It would be nice if there were more resource pages (the SS is wonderful in resource papers). It would also be nice if we could have grading in the science and social studies. I realize that these subjects require a lot of teacher grading, but if we could at least enter in grades for averages with would be nice.

Blog Entries

In science and social studies, there is a quiz after every lesson (which consistes of several lesson activities) and there is a test after every chapter (which consists of several lessons). These are graded and will show up on your student's report.

The individual lesson activities are not graded because they are intended to teach . . . not to assess. After the child has finished a group of lesson activities, he is given a quiz to make sure he learned the material in that particular lesson. After he has finished a chapter, he is given a test over all the lessons in that chapter, to be sure he is retaining what he has learned.

If you are unsure how this works, look at the lesson plans for fifth grade social studies. The first chapter, Olmec, contains four lessons: Olmec Civilization, Daily Olmec Life, Art and Religion, and Writing, Counting, and Calendar. The first lesson contains two lesson activities (#5710 and #5840). The lesson activities correspond to the starred items on the gold background after your student has logged in and started clicking on his launchpad.

You must make sure your student knows to take the quiz after he has completed all the stars on each gold background. He must also remember to take the test after he has completed all of the social studies icons on each green/teal background. Flashing yellow arrows do not point to quizzes or tests. I tell my children to take the quiz or test immediately when they complete the last star in a lesson or the last icon is a chapter. Otherwise, they forget to take it before going on.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

Nanci is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default 7th gr Science?!

I need to have Science as part of a report showing that my daughter has completed the grade level course for 7th grade.

Does Science (in the form set up on this program) show as a course on reports?

thanks for clarifying for the new kids...

cheers,
    Nanci

Blog Entries

As mentioned above, there is no seventh grade science. If you choose to use fifth or sixth grade science for your seventh-grader then, yes, it will show up as a course on her reports.

Under the Recent Work tab, you will be able to see the name of each lesson activity and it will be designated as "Complete".

Under the Reports tab, you will be able to see how long your student worked on each lesson activity.

Grades for quizzes and tests will appear under both the Recent Work tab and the Reports tab and you may print the tests, with your student's answers.

Here is more information about reports. There are three pages, so keep clicking on the arrow at the upper, right-hand corner.