handwriting question
    Melissa55 is offline Junior Member

Default handwriting question

I have a 9 year old boy who has autism and ADHD. He is doing well in Grade 3 (T4L, CLE and MUS). His handwriting is legible, but not very neat. He still struggles with the basics like making his letters the same size.

I'm torn if I should start cursive with him this year or keep working on print?

any thoughts/experiences would be appreciated

Thanks Melissa

fairylover is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

In my opinion cursive does not really seem so important any more. Many public schools no longer teach it at all. I would hold off until his writing is a bit better.

Have you tried some of the tricks they use to help students with poor handwriting and students with disabilities? You can buy special pencils that are fatter in the part that you grip. Some of them are weighted as well to help the child grasp them better. You might also want to get some large grid paper. Let him put one letter in each square of the grid. This will help him space his letters better and also work to make them all the same size.

I hope others will chime in on this issue. Best wishes to you and your son.
    Kathi Homeschooling Mama to Twelve year old Dakota

Sanfuus is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default Cursive

Both of my boys have struggled with their printing, but have done tremendously well with their cursive. We started them both on cursive in 3rd grade, and it gave them great satisfaction to be able to show achievement in this area. You may want to do a few sample practices to see how your son does. He may surprise you

Blog Entries

Thanks Sanfuus, Like I always say, every child is different. This may be the best for Melissa's son as well.

nesaby is offline Junior Member

my daughter too has multiple special needs. I decided to just buy a cheap cursive writing and reading book for her. Although she has rarely seen cursive I was shocked at how well she was able to read the sentences in there written in cursive. Depending on your child's fine motor skills. IMO it might be too frustrating to try and teach your child how to write it in the beginning or at all but it would serve a purpose if the child can read it/decode it. WE aren't always going to be around and some forms our children will view might be solely in cursive ,good luck

Blog Entries

That's a good thing to remember Nesaby. Reading things written in a different form is something our children need to learn. My son has a really hard time reading calligraphy.

nesaby is offline Junior Member

oh gosh I can't imagine tacking that one Kathi!! But maybe my daughter could grasp that in time

Blog Entries

My son struggles with fancy writing like that. He does not have any learning disabilities that we know of, just an extremely short attention span.