Hello from newbie!!!
    hopefulmum is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default Hello from newbie!!!

Hi friends,

I am very happy to come across this homeschooling forum.

My kids are 10 and 11 yo,deciding to sign up for T4L as our core curriculum.

What do you think T4L LA & LAx programs enough for each grade or need to add anything more?(except reading and

handwriting).

My kids writing is so terrible,so need good resources for improving writing skills.I read about T4W ,but have some

questions that is T4W less parent intensive and is this writing program enough through college?Is there live teachers

who guide and grade kids writings?No parent involvement at all?

Hope someone will chime in and guide me.....

Mandy in TN is offline Senior Member

What do you think T4L LA & LAx programs enough for each grade or need to add anything more?(except reading and

handwriting)

My son is 10yo. We are no longer using a handwriting program, but we are adding material to T4L. We are doing some extra grammar just because I am a freak and want to do a little bit of grammar all year in addition to the grammar unit in T4L. Doodlebug is using the Modern Curriculum Press Word Study E workbook, because his word study skills were not equivalent to the rest of his language arts at the time of last year's testing. The first week of January he started T4W. Last week he started Evan Moor Daily Paragraph Editing Grade 4. When he was doing T4W's Elementary Sentences, he had no problem editing one sentence but became a little overwhelmed when presented with multiple sentences. I don't know if we will continue with Evan Moor Daily Paragraph Editing long term, but most timed achievement tests have passages with multiple sentences and I don't want him to freak out in testing when I know that it is something he capable of doing.

My kids writing is so terrible,so need good resources for improving writing skills.I read about T4W ,but have some

questions that is T4W less parent intensive and is this writing program enough through college?Is there live teachers

who guide and grade kids writings?No parent involvement at all?

Doodlebug completed T4W's Elementary Sentences last week and began T4W's Elementary Paragraphs this week. I cannot speak to the higher levels as these are all I have seen, but I do plan to have Doodlebug continue with Elementary Essays when he completes Elementary Paragraphs. There are live teachers who respond to your child's work. The grades are a combination of automatically scored material and material graded by the teacher. At the end of the course there is a certificate of completion which includes the final grade that you can print off for your portfolio or records. I hesitate to say that a 10 or 11yo will need no parental interaction. With any new skill that a 10 or 11yo learns, he may need help digesting the material. How much help a child will need depends on the personality of the child and how much new material is being presented.

HTH-
    Mandy
    ds Doodlebug 11yo
    currently homeschooling with an eclectic mess of stuff

homeschool graduates:
    ds Cashew 20yo
    ds Peanut 22yo

fairylover is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

Hi Hopefulmum. Welcome to the forums. We use Time4Learning pretty much exclusively. My son does get some extra language from a Magic Tree House class that he is doing. But that's it besides handwriting. To me t is enough. But you have to decide if it is enough for your child.

I have no experience with Time4Writing. My son is a very reluctant writer and I'm not ready to push him yet. There is a forum just for Time4Writing that you might want to check out.
    Kathi Homeschooling Mama to Twelve year old Dakota

Mandy in TN is offline Senior Member

I thought some more about this and wanted to clarify that my son is not doing any of the composition work assigned in T4L's LA or LAx. Although I do print off and have him complete all the worksheets and all the typing required in the T4L quizzes, he is only doing the composition required in T4W. If T4L asks him to write a paragraph using as many of his vocabulary words as possible, we skip it.

Also, outside of reading literature and T4W, the extra LA we are doing never takes more than 30min and often significantly less.

Mandy
    ds Doodlebug 11yo
    currently homeschooling with an eclectic mess of stuff

homeschool graduates:
    ds Cashew 20yo
    ds Peanut 22yo

fairylover is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

No need to explain Mandy. Everyone does what's best for their family. My son hates to write but he can tell the best stories.
    Kathi Homeschooling Mama to Twelve year old Dakota