Helloooo! Question about scheduling
    WaltzerFamily is offline Junior Member

Default Helloooo! Question about scheduling

Hello! This is my first year homeschooling. I am homeschooling my four and a half year old in Kindergarten. He attended a parochial PreK last year, but after many years, they closed their doors at the end of last year. He didn't make the cut off for Public Kindergarten, but we had him tested for early admittance, and he did test well enough to be admitted early, however, we didn't feel he would do well in the over crowded classrooms, so we decided to homeschool this year. We started on August 26th.

We live in Delaware, which has very lax standards for homeschooling. I only have to prove his attendance, not what he has or has not learned. I want to make sure he is prepared to start 1st grade next fall when another branch of the parochial school opens in our town, so I am still doing a portfolio.

My question is how to set up the scheduler. I originally set it up for the 180 days required by Delaware, but we finished the first week worth of activities in three days. Our "school" day has lasted about four hours, including spelling, vocabulary words, writing practice, independent reading, "circle time", and the time4learning curriculum. Next week, we are going to start a Spanish program. We are doing mostly the 1st grade curriculum, but I'm thinking of moving him to second grade language arts next week. I don't want to overwhelm him, but I also want to keep him challenged. Today, we did very little T4L curriculum, and tomorrow I was just going to start him on next weeks work.

Would you suggest moving it up to maybe 100 days or 140? That way he would have more meat, and then when he finished he could start the next years curriculum? How do most of you set the schedule? What other things outside the T4L curriculum do you use?

Any suggestions and tips are more then welcome. Thanks so much for your input!

Susan
    Mom to:
    Homeschooling Aiden 4 1/2
    Gabi (Charter School, Middle School)
    Vivian and Anna (Public High School)

fairylover is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

For a little one that age I would not increase his schedule. He's still very young and needs lots and lots of play time. But that is just my opinion. I think that we push kids so much these days that they miss out on a lot of childhood.

Perhaps you could add some learning games to fill out his day more if you are concerned about too much free time. I love to use Learning Games For Kids. There are also some great board games like Starfall.

I hope others chime in on this so you can get another opinion.
    Kathi Homeschooling Mama to Twelve year old Dakota