Help going back to public school
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By apatraw1980

Thread: Help going back to public school

Christina7278 is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default Help going back to public school

Hello! I was hoping someone could help me. I've been homeschooling for 2 years & I went to the school board today to enroll my boys back into public school. They told me my oldest (who is going into 11th grade) will have to take 18 proficiency tests. Has anyone had experience with these & what they entail? Any help is appreciated!

hearthstone_academy is online now Administrator
    Blog Entries

Hi, Christina. My kids have been homeschooled straight through high school, so I don't have any experience to offer you about returning to public high school. I do know that schools vary in their willingness to accept homeschool work for credit, and there are no laws saying what they must or can't accept.

You might want to explore Let's Homeschool High School.com. It's the best place I know of to find information about everything having to do with homeschooling and high school students.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

apatraw1980 is offline Junior Member

We live in Tennessee and my kids will have to take a test to enroll in public school. It is typically the state's standardized tests. Ours is called TCAPs. It is mostly just to find out what the student's grade level is. When i sent my daughter back to public school last year, she had to take the TCAP for grade placement. She was put in her normal grade and AP classes. I will be sending both of my children back to public school for the 2017/2018 school year.
    We follow the core standards listed on the tn.gov/edu website to make sure we are learning everything that could be on the tests.
    You can check out your state government education page to find out more about the tests.
    bailbrae likes this.

pj54669 is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default Re: Help going back to public school

Quote Originally Posted by Christina7278 View Post
    Hello! I was hoping someone could help me. I've been homeschooling for 2 years & I went to the school board today to enroll my boys back into public school. They told me my oldest (who is going into 11th grade) will have to take 18 proficiency tests. Has anyone had experience with these & what they entail? Any help is appreciated!
    Here is my issue with my grandson - Hi everyone ,

I am new here so thank you for any information you may be able to give me I am wondering if anyone know if your residential school can refuse to allow your child enrollment back into their school after pulling them out and homeschooling for the last part of the year? He is dyslexic and I feel public school and getting his diploma is very important to him. He is 16 and in his junior year. The school said and I quote :"He is credit deficiant at this point and is no longer on a credit based track, we would have no basis on which to re-enroll him as traditional student. As with other students that are on HSED track we would send him to WTC anyway. If that is not the best option now,in your mind, you could continue to homeschool him and re-enroll him when you think he is ready to commit to the HSED coursework at WTC. Other options would be to open enroll to any surrounding alternative schools (Challenge Acadamy, SAILS in Sparta or Lacrosseroads"- end of quote. That is what they sent back to her. Now they know he is dyslexic and there is no mention of his IEP at all. They did not inform her of any problems with his IEP and online schooling either!!! Any ideas here?? He is not a troubled youth, he does not get into trouble with the law, he was simply a teen rebelling on a couple minor things like his cell phone. He knows that he needs to comply with school rules and get his education, and is heartbroken that his school won't allow him back in. HELP!!!! and Thank you