Help, I need advice.
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By lovehmschlg
  • 1 Post By Strouse House

Thread: Help, I need advice.

Armymama4 is offline Junior Member

Default Help, I need advice.

Hello everyone, I have been homeschooling my son for about 3 years now. I feel like we have lost motivation in learning, also I am having a hard time finding group activities in the area for my son; he is 15. I found a couple of groups but they want a membership fee (example $150- $200 per year). I am not really wanting to participate in group learning time just the activities and the ability for my son to meet kids his age and make friends. He has become so sad and depressed because he doesn't have friends that he no longer wants to do school work. What can I do? I don't drive much because of health conditions.

lovehmschlg is offline Forum Moderator

Hi, Armymama4,

I'm sorry. It sounds like you need a spark or a little bit of a change in your daily routine. How about setting up some field trips, either with a homeschool support group or just the two of you. Depending on the homeschooling community, it can get harder or easier as the kids get older.

What part of Florida are you in? I know some families in the Orlando and Tampa area, and they're very active. We're in South Florida, and the homeschooling community is very large and active here, too. Have you looked around for a homeschool support group in your area?

One of our homeschool support groups is big because they have a drama club, which attracts a lot of the teenagers. They also have a yearbook club, and the teens are the ones who take pictures at the events and put the yearbook together, with a little help from parents.

What is your son interested in? I'm sure there are other teens who may be interested in the same thing. For example, does he like to play chess, airsoft, archery? These are some other groups that moms have organized. Maybe join one of the support groups and send out an email to the parents of teen boys inviting them and their parent for an afternoon of board games for the moms and XBox for the guys....or something similar. Once you get to know the moms, you can always take turns in organizing activities and/or carpooling.
    Something else our support groups has is Spelling Bees, Geography Bees and Math Bees. The 2 latter ones they compete as teams (boys against the girls or Group A against Group B). I mention these because it's an opportunity to meet other kids. You would just have to organize the one event and let it open doors to a friendship or two.

I'm just trying to throw out some ideas. There's a Florida Time4Learning forum where you may want to seek out other families who are near you. And if your son is using Time4Learning as his curriculum, there's Time4Friends, where he can communicate with other high schoolers using T4L. Time4Friends is only for members and is strongly monitored by T4L staff. Let me know if you want to know more about that.

Last edited by lovehmschlg; 04-06-2015 at 03:33 PM.
    Armymama4 likes this.
    Janet
    enjoying homeschooling and learning with my kids, using T4L and T4W
    blogging our homeschool experiences at The Learning Hourglass

Strouse House is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

Janet had a lot of great advice. I want to add check out your local library, too. Ours offers things like teen night, chess, and other fun activities.
    Armymama4 likes this.
    Brandy - Christian (86), Wife (93), and Mother (boy 99, girl 07,boy 08). Homeschooling since 2003. Come check out our adventures in life and Time4Learning.com at Five in Training For Him.

Armymama4 is offline Junior Member

Thank you ladies, we are in Volusia county. I have looked for groups that are free, the few I found want to charge an annual fee and the parents do not want to meet up if you are not part of the paid group. I don't drive very far from home because I have Lupus, Fibromyalgia, etc., I was in a group for a while but my son was the oldest one and we would ride with someone if they were doing a field trip that was to far for me to drive. For what ever reason either they are no longer meeting or they have decided not to include us any more so we have not done anything since December. I will look into the library and see what activities they have. I just feel lost and not sure how to change the situation. My son isn't really sure what he is interested in anymore, he mostly just reads, watches movies and how they were made, plays games and listens to music. He is just a kind hearted kid that wants others to like him.
    Oh, and I have posted in the Volusia county Florida post a few times looking for locals but have not had much success with finding people in my sons age group.

Ruth_Lanton is offline Member

In my local homeschool group, there's a small group of parents with teens who get together for activities about once a week. We don't have to pay to join, but none of the activities have been free. I'm sure most families have spent over $200 over the course of the year on all the activities, but it's done in a "pay as you go" setup. Also, this is entirely social activities- go-carting, bowling, lazer tag, etc. The parents feel that their kids get enough academics already and don't need group learning activities.

My son also socializes with local kids he met when he was still enrolled in school. Even if your son has never attended school, you can still look into "after school activities" in your area that might interest him.

Another option is to enroll him in school next year. My daughter (now nearly 19) chose to return to school in 8th grade because most of the other girls her age in the homeschool group were going to school, and she was drifting apart from the boys her age. It was definitely the right decision for her at that time. You need to take a look at your son's needs, what the local schools can offer, what you can offer him at home, and pick what's the best fit for him.
    Ruth, single mom to Jack, 13, Hannah, 19, and Leah, 20.

Ashley987654 is offline Junior Member

Hi,

I understand the problem, even my son is home schooled from the last 4years and some of the times he feels bored to stay at home. I will take him to the places like sports clubs ( you can find them not too costly for the memberships), and parks, movies, and on a holiday where he can find kids of the same age group and can spend some time and have fun with them. My son has joined in the home schooling group, where the students usually meet at the weekends like the traditional school kids and have the activities and fun together. So it's not that hard to get out of the boredom. You can find these for your kid too..