Help for literature reading?
    brill is offline Member

Smile Help for literature reading?

Hi folks,
    I am a homeschooling mom of 2 kids of 8 and 9 years.Currently,they are on T4L curriculum in addition to spelling,grammer,literature passage readings from different books for LA ,but now for their next year I am planning to buy Pathway Readers with Climbing to Good English ,Writing with ease level 1 along T4L ?As I have compiled literature reading list for my kids so I also want to add some quality literature novels to LA curriculum so guys what do you suggest that how many novels they should read in a year with T4L,PR and CTGE?Should they study also novels study guides?If they should study guides then which publisher's?What about TLP?
    Should I read aloud novels to kids or let them read independently?benefits of read aloud?
    My kids writing skills are not so good .They just can write 8-10 sentence on any topic?any recommendations?
    Waiting for prompt reply.
    Thanx......................

fairylover is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

Have you tried Homeschool Literature? They have a lot of reviews of books that are writtenby homeschoolers or about homeschoolers. They always have several great books to recommend. In fact, this week they are just launching a new online book club using books by and about homeschoolers.

The greatest benefit of read aloud time for me is the family bonding. I have a nine year old reluctant reader. Reader aoud is great for him. I also have downloaded a lot of kid's books on to my kindle for him. It has a text to voice reader on it so he can listen to the storied when he is having trouble focusing on reading and understaning that hw has written.
    Kathi Homeschooling Mama to Twelve year old Dakota

brill is offline Member

Is there any study guides for Homeschool literature?does anyone know about online audio literature so that my kids could use it as I am at a place where no library and resources are almost none.
    Is my selection of pathway readers and climbing to good English fine?and how many novels per year and should my kids take study guide with each novel?suggestion please!!!!

Mandy in TN is offline Senior Member

First semester and part of second semester ds did Essentials through Classical Conversations. In Essentials he used IEW and EEL (Essentials of the English Language). Currently we are using Scholastic Success with Writing Grade 3 and Killgallon's Sentence Composing for Elementary School. We have used Jacob's Ladder Book 1 for some additional reading comprehension and read poetry from the Oxford Illustrated Book of American Children's Poems and the Random House Book of Poetry. We have used Spectrum Phonics and Word Study Grade 5 all year.

If you feel that what you have chosen will work for your kids, give it a shot. Just remember to prioritize otherwise you can become overwhelmed.
    Mandy
    ds Doodlebug 11yo
    currently homeschooling with an eclectic mess of stuff

homeschool graduates:
    ds Cashew 20yo
    ds Peanut 22yo

We used America's History Land of Liberty as our spine. The black is the chapter title from America's History, the blue is a read-aloud and the green is a reader. My son has just read everything himself, because he doesn't much like for me to read to him.
    This what I planned for first semester. At the end I will tell you what we changed.

First semester weeks 1-18

Earliest People of the Americas North American Indians by Douglas Gorsline Pocahontas and the Strangers by Clyde Robert Bulla (week 1 of 2)
    Europeans Explore the Americas The Discovery of the Americas: From Prehistory Through the Age of Columbus by Betsy Maestro Pocahontas and the Strangers by Clyde Robert Bulla (week 2 of 2)
    Europeans Settle America Exploration and Conquest: The Americas After Columbus by Betsy Maestro The Matchlock Gun by Walter D. Edmonds (week 1 of 2)
    Africans in America The New Americans: Colonial Times by Betsy Maestro The Matchlock Gun by Walter D. Edmonds (week 2 of 2)
    The English Settle in North America Colonial Crafts by Bobbie KalmanThe Sign of the Beaver by Elizabeth George Speare (week 1 of 2)
    Life in the 13 Colonies George Washington for Kids by Brandon Marie Miller (week 1 of 4)The Sign of the Beaver by Elizabeth George Speare (week 2 of 2)
    The Road to Revolution George Washington for Kids by Brandon Marie Miller (week 2 of 4)Meet Benjamin Franklin by Maggi Scarf
    The American Revolution George Washington for Kids by Brandon Marie Miller (week 3 of 4) Thomas Jefferson by Cheryl Harness
    The Nation's New Constitution The US Constitution and You by Syl Sobel No reader this week. Read the raH together.
    The Start of the New Nation George Washington for Kids by Brandon Marie Miller (week 4 of 4)Phoebe the Spy by Judith Griffin
    A Time of Growth and War How We Crossed The West: The Adventures Of Lewis And Clark by Rosalyn Schanzer Millie Cooper's Ride: A True Story from History by Marc Simmons
    Growth and Sectionalism Amazing Impossible Erie Canal by Cheryl Harness Trail of Tears (Step-Into-Reading, Step 5) by Joseph Bruchac
    Working for Reform and Culture The West: An Illustrated History for Children by Dayton Duncan (selections from week 1 of 2)The Great Turkey Walk by Kathleen Karr (week 1 of 3)
    Americans Move Westward The West: An Illustrated History for Children by Dayton Duncan (week 1 of 2)The Great Turkey Walk by Kathleen Karr (week 2 of 3)
    North and South Disagree Last Safe House, The: A Story of the Underground Railroad by Barbara Greenwood (week 1 of 2) The Great Turkey Walk by Kathleen Karr (week 3 of 3)
    The Beginning of the Civil War Last Safe House, The: A Story of the Underground Railroad by Barbara Greenwood (week 2 of 2) Shades of Gray by Carolyn Reeder (week 1 of 3)
    The End of the Civil War Lincoln: A Photobiography by Russell Freedman (week 1 of 2) Shades of Gray by Carolyn Reeder (week 2 of 3)
    The Reconstruction Years Lincoln: A Photobiography by Russell Freedman (week 2 of 2) Shades of Gray by Carolyn Reeder (week 3 of 3)

Here is what changed:
    George Washington for Kids by Brandon Marie Miller didn't work for us. Ds didn't want to do any of the activities or anything, so after 2 chapters we switched to George Washington by Cheryl Harness. The US Constitution and You by Syl Sobel and Shades of Gray by Carolyn Reeder we ended up skipping simply because other things came up. As there are only so many hours in the day, this was just what I decided was optional.

Mandy
    ds Doodlebug 11yo

homeschool graduates:
    ds Cashew 20yo
    ds Peanut 22yo

Last summer when I was planning this is what I scheduled for second semester. The things that I changed are in bold red and the new title is in red italic. Today we are finishing week 27. (The end of 3rd quarter. ) Ds has a few pages left in Rose's Journal and then next week we move on to WW2.

The only book we have ditched so far this semester is The Remarkable Rough-Riding Life of Theodore Roosevelt. My extra student used it for a research report which my ds read, but he just really didn't like the book. I figure if there is only one book or so a year that I schedule that for one reason or another he just doesn't like, then I'll let him skip it.

Second Semester weeks 19-36

Growth in the American West Tracks Across America by Leonard Everett Fisher (selections from week 1 of 2) When the Circus Came to Town by Laurence Yep (week 1 of 2)
    The Growth of Business and Industry Tracks Across America by Leonard Everett Fisher (week 2 of 2) When the Circus Came to Town by Laurence Yep (week 2 of 2)
    Immigration and Labor Movements Change America Immigrant Kids by Russell Freedman (week 1 of 2) George Washington Carver by Matt Doeden
    Reform and the Progressive Movement Immigrant Kids by Russell Freedman (week 2 of 2) Who Was Helen Keller? by Gare Thompson
    The United States Becomes a World Power The Remarkable Rough-Riding Life of Theodore Roosevelt and the Rise of Empire America (week 1 of 2) Wheels of Time by Catherine GourleyIf You Lived 100 Years Ago
    The United States and Latin America The Remarkable Rough-Riding Life of Theodore Roosevelt and the Rise of Empire America (week 2 of 2) The Wright Brothers by Quentin Reynolds (week 1 of 2)
    The United States in World War I Hero Over Here by Kathleen V. Kudlinski The Wright Brothers by Quentin Reynolds (week 1 of 2)
    America in the 1920s Children of the Depression by Russell Freedman (week 1 of 2) Ticket to the Twenties: A Time Traveler's Guide by Mary Blocksma
    The Great Depression Children of the Depression by Russell Freedman (week 2 of 2) Rose's Journal: The Story of a Girl in the Great Depression by Marissa Moss
    The Beginning of World War II Ultra Hush-hush: Espionage and Special Missions by Stephen Shapiro, Tina Forrester (week 1 of 2) On The Wings of Heroes by Richard Peck (week 1 of 2)
    The Fight to Win World War IIUltra Hush-hush: Espionage and Special Missions by Stephen Shapiro, Tina Forrester (week 2 of 2) On The Wings of Heroes by Richard Peck (week 2 of 2)
    The Cold War Begins Spying and the Cold War by Michael Burgan In the Year of the Boar and Jackie Robinson by Bette Bao Lord (week 1 of 2)
    The Civil Rights Movement Freedom Riders by Ann Bausum Walking to Freedom by Richard Kelso In the Year of the Boar and Jackie Robinson by Bette Bao Lord (week 2 of 2)
    Americans Fight a War in Vietnam Vietnam War (DK Eyewitness Books) by Stuart Murray Fighting the Vietnam War by Brian Fitzgerald Leaving Vietnam by Sarah S. Kilborne
    Successes and Trouble in the 1960s and 1970s Kennedy Assassinated! The World Mourns by Wilborn Hampton First Moon Landing by Thomas K. Adamson
    The United States Faces World Problems Tensions in the Gulf, 1978-1991 by J. E. Peterson (week 1 of 2) The Backward Bird Dog by Bill Wallace (week 1 of 2)Whales on Stilts by MT Anderson
    The United States in Today's World Tensions in the Gulf, 1978-1991 by J. E. Peterson (week 2 of 2 )The Backward Bird Dog by Bill Wallace (week 2 of 2)Whales on Stilts by MT Anderson
    America in the New Century The History of the Internet by Josepha Sherman Steve Jobs & Steve Wozniak: Geek Heroes Who Put the Personal in Computers by Mike Venezia
    Last edited by Mandy in TN; 03-16-2012 at 11:31 AM.
    ds Doodlebug 11yo

homeschool graduates:
    ds Cashew 20yo
    ds Peanut 22yo

We do not use study guides and I do not plan to use study guides next year. Next year in fourth grade, we will be using Figuratively Speaking. In fifth grade, I may look at some study guides for our literature. Have you looked at Classical House of Learning? It has free, secular lit guides for literature that coordinates with a four year history cycle.

This said, after we finish up Classical Conversations in a few weeks we plan to do Moving Beyond the Page: ages 8-10: Concept 3: Similarities and Differences. This unit study does contain guides for the literature covered.

HTH-
    Mandy
    ds Doodlebug 11yo

homeschool graduates:
    ds Cashew 20yo
    ds Peanut 22yo

Blog Entries

I personally don't think study guides are necessary. I think the best way to find out if they understand the material is to have them summarize it for you.

brill is offline Member

Thanx Mandy and Fairy lover for replying me each time.
    If you guys clear me that should kids write summary of each chapter of classic literature and then show it to me and what about hard vocabulary words in the novels?how to deal with that for kids to understand well?Any site online show me the way how to write summaries inorder to teach ma kids to do so...
    Thanx...

Blog Entries

I'm not sure I would have an 8 or 9 year old writing summaries. At least not my nine year old. We talk about the books that he reads or I read to him. If there are any hard words we talk about them. That way I can make sure he understands them. You might want to try Time4Writing for more work on writing summaries and things like that.