Help for literature study in grade 3?
    brill is offline Member

Default Help for literature study in grade 3?

hi,
    I am a homeschool mom of two kids 8 and 9 years.I have been homeschooling my kids since 5 years.I want to get Language Arts grade 3 and onwards curriculum.
    In Literature I don't know which curriculum ,novels for grade 3 and onwards?
    How many novels should he study in grade 3?Which story books for and novels grade 2 and onwards?no worksheets on t4l language arts lesson?Is spelling list on t4l are enough for each grade ?any free site for study guides of novels?
    If you kindly guide me which curriculum you are using with your 3rd grader or older(if you have in those grades)?and how to select reading books for each grade?How I could test their understanding of stories/novels as I am a non native speaker?
    How many hours do you give to each of your child?How many subjects do you have?
    Hope you will tell me about your experience .
    Waiting for your prompt reply.

fairylover is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

If you look at the grade three lesson plans for Language Arts Extensions you will find a reading list that goes along with those lessons. There are worksheets in both Language Arts and Language Arts Extensions for grade three. I think a child should read as many books as they want to in each grade. I don't think there is a specific number of books that are required. Usually 15 to 30 minutes per day of reading time is good for a child. I don't think it is necessary to write book reports or things like that. But that is just my opinion. I like to ask questions like, "What happened in the story" or "Tell me about this book." "What did you like best about it." That way you can tell if they actually read the book and understand what it is about. As far as spelling, have you tried Spelling City. It is a great way to add to the spelling work that you do.

We use time4learning as our core curriculum. We supplement with lots of field trips and library trips. We also do soccer and bowling. Reading is really important at our house. I find the best way to get your child to read is for them to see you reading. We usually spend an hour and a half on school work each day.
    Kathi Homeschooling Mama to Twelve year old Dakota

brill is offline Member

Thanx for replying.............
    Could you kindly give me the link of worksheets in both Language Arts and Language Arts Extensions for grade three?I couldn't find any.........
    Any free literary sites for reading in grade 2 n 3?
    How much time do you spend in grammer,spelling n reading daily for grade 3?
    Thanx.................

Mandy in TN is offline Senior Member

The ILA in grade three cover literature using the books on the recommending reading list.

In addition to this litetature, my 3rd grader is reading literature that is tied to US history. Each day after he reads, I have him narrate to me about his reading. If he needs help getting started, I ask him the same sort of questions that Kathi suggested.

HTH-
    Mandy
    ds Doodlebug 11yo
    currently homeschooling with an eclectic mess of stuff

homeschool graduates:
    ds Cashew 20yo
    ds Peanut 22yo

Mandy in TN is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by brill View Post
    Is spelling list on t4l are enough for each grade ?

If you kindly guide me which curriculum you are using with your 3rd grader or older(if you have in those grades)?and how to select reading books for each grade?How I could test their understanding of stories/novels as I am a non native speaker?

How many hours do you give to each of your child?How many subjects do you have?
    Hope you will tell me about your experience.
    We are using T4L, but we added a Spectrum phonics workbook for additional work on how words are formed.

Kumon reading lists are secular and offer a nice selection of quality literature.

We work until it is done. Sometimes this takes All. Day. Long. and sometimes it is very quick. We seldom spend more than 45min/day on the T4L portion of our day. In TN with my umbrella, I am required to spend 4 hours/ day- 180 days/ year.

We have over-scheduled ourselves and are doing a lot this year. It isn't a schedule that I would recommend and we will not be doing it all next year. We go to Kumon on Monday afternoons, an academic tutorial on Tues and after that my extra student comes home with us for math, violin and a math tutor on Wed, an extra student all day on Thurs, drama and art lessons on Fri morning. This semester the little man stopped going to the afternoon session of our Tues tutorial, but we started going to a play group on Fri afternoon. We also practice violin, do Kumon math, and have additional writing, phonics, reading, and US history ouside of T4L. I work Sat morning, but on Sat afternoons we have to do school work, because we don't attempt to do T4L or anything on Fri. As I said, I would not suggest this schedule. This is an example of what not to do.

HTH-
    Mandy
    Last edited by Mandy in TN; 02-27-2012 at 12:20 PM.
    ds Doodlebug 11yo
    currently homeschooling with an eclectic mess of stuff

homeschool graduates:
    ds Cashew 20yo
    ds Peanut 22yo

fairylover is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

3rd grade language arts can be found here. The worksheets don't seem to start until chapter 8 or so. I couldn't find any for Language Arts Extensions. I could have sworn I saw them this morning. Oh well. We do not do anything extra for language or spelling other than what time4learning includes. We try to do 15 minutes of reading per day.
    Kathi Homeschooling Mama to Twelve year old Dakota