Home School ideas
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Home School ideas

Amber Cross is offline Member

Default Home School ideas

Hi I would like to know how all you homeschool mom's get it all done? I just starting time4learning and homeschooling my 3yr.old and 5yr.old and am trying to figure how to fit in extra supplemental things. Like hands on activities whether with math or reading or writing,music,storytime etc. It is all overwhelming to me. I feel bad if don't get to it all or some of the others in a day or a week. they both really love to play on the computer whether time4learning or pbs etc. I sometimes can't get them off of it to do other things. I guess that is a good thing and not wanting to watch tv all day or something. Any suggestions on how you do it al would be great. Also I have a question as to why I do not get an email that I have a response from this forum? I always have to check back to see if I have any and sometime I forget where I posted something. Lol That is one thing would like to request on this forum.

Mandy in TN is offline Senior Member

Here is where I answered a similar question. Here it is pasted:

My question is how do you decide what to teach - courses anyway...

Outside of the basics that are covered in T4L, what is vitally important to you and/or the other parental unit? Be sure to cover it.
    Aside from the basics and what is important to you, what interests your child? Try to include it.
    After this, if there is time and energy, go for any other things that are available and look interesting.

How much is too much?
    If the child's eyes glaze over, it is time to stop that particular lesson and move on. If there are daily bouts of crying, fit throwing, or other emotional melt downs over school, then you may be trying to do too much! (It may also be a sign of fatigue, allergies, learning differences, etc. As a mother who will be teaching her child, look for those changes in your child's normal behavior that would indicate that the school days have become too long.)

How much is not enough?
    If a child is requesting more (more information, more time on a topic, etc.), it is time to delve deeper into that particular lesson. If you are not seeing adequate educational progress, you may not being doing enough. (Again- lack of education progress may also be a sign of fatigue, allergies, learning differences, etc. As a mother who will be teaching her child, look for those changes in your child's normal behavior that would indicate that the school days have become too short, too easy, or too slow.)
    ds Doodlebug 11yo
    currently homeschooling with an eclectic mess of stuff

homeschool graduates:
    ds Cashew 20yo
    ds Peanut 22yo

Mandy in TN is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Amber Cross View Post
    Hi I would like to know how all you homeschool mom's get it all done?... Any suggestions on how you do it al would be great.
    The direct answer to this particular question is that I don't do it all. There are only 24 hours in a day and therefore you have to choose the things that can reasonably fit into the time left after you sleep, eat, and take care of personal hygiene. Oh, and even after you schedule and plan you will still find that you need to modify and adjust for real life events. You know "the best laid plans of mice and men" and all of that.

HTH-
    Mandy
    ds Doodlebug 11yo
    currently homeschooling with an eclectic mess of stuff

homeschool graduates:
    ds Cashew 20yo
    ds Peanut 22yo

fairylover is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

i agree with Mandy. I don't do it all. With children the ages of your little ones you probably shouldn't be working on actually acedemics for more than a half hour to an hour per day. More than that and they will burn out. Try interspersing some hands on learning activities. If you are teaching letters then spend some time letting them write their letters in a pan of rice. This was a great hit for my son when he was that age. Back off a bit. Too many beginning homeschoolers find themselves buring out very quickly because they try to teach everything all at once. They will learn what they need to learn by the time they are ready for college. Slow down a bit, relax, and enjoy your time with your littles.

As far as getting emails you need go to the top of the thread where it says "thread tools". Open that and then click on "Subscribe to this thread". You should get once a day emails telling you that you have responses to your thread.
    Amber Cross likes this.
    Kathi Homeschooling Mama to Twelve year old Dakota

Thanks all. thing is they like being on the computer and they do want to take a break when they want to. I guess i just want to make sure and be covering everything I am suppose to cover.

Blog Entries

If you follow the curriculum and do one or two lessons in each subject each day. You'll be fine.
    Amber Cross likes this.

Thanks. anyone know of any good books that you can get at the library for beginner readers for kindergartners?

Blog Entries

Where we used to live the children's librarian was wonderful. She was extremely helpful in picking out things for my son. They had one entire wall of graded readers that were great for each grade level. Check out your local library.

marcusgarvey is offline Junior Member Newbie

Hi all,

My son, Thomas, is still just four years old so my curriculum is based more around storytimes, play, and helping her to learn to socialize. I wanted to share a fun art project I like because it helps with her hand eye coordination as well as motor skills which are still developing.

I borrow my partner's mini projector and we project stencils of drawings against butcher paper taped to the wall. Riley, likes to trace the outlines first and then colors it in after. It really encourages her while giving her a sense of symmetry and a blue print for drawing.

I know some people may have issues with technology (I sure do ) but this AAXA LED projector is so simple to use, Riley likes to turn it on sometimes to let me know she wants to draw.

Anyways, just to keep discussion going, I would love to hear of any other fun art projects you all have cooked up at home

Blog Entries

What a great idea. We don't have one of those projectors so we had to use the windows for things like this. I taped a drawing to the window and then put a clean sheet of paper over it. My son could then trace the drawing.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast