Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Homeschoolers - Would you share your stories please?

JohnEdelson is offline Super Moderator

Default Homeschoolers - Would you share your stories please?

Time4Learning has put together a free guide for new homeschoolers.

When we do the annual update, we like to update the section of mini case studies about why and how people decided to homeschool. We find that many homeschoolers call us up and want to know about homeschooling. What we find odd is that many explain to us that they are "homeschoolers by necessity", not by choice. We call them "accidental homeschoolers"

I'd like to share our term for this concept: Accidental Homeschoolers!

---------------
    These "accidental homeschoolers" have the impression that all other homeschoolers are philosophically dedicated to homeschooling and that they are part of a minority who are doing it only because... it's the best option for their kids.

My experience is that there are alot of homeschoolers who intended to have their children in school and started by putting their children in school. But... it didn't work. There are many reasons that it didn't work relating to schools, children, family etc.

As they considered their options (many people first tried changing schools), they found that homeschooling was the best option.

We've included section on this in our Homeschoolers Guide. I'd like to keep collecting examples of how people got into homeschooling. If are one of these, could you share your story with us? I'd really appreciate it. Please post it below:
    Here, for instance, was one story that I just heard from my neighbor....

Maryland Homeschool High School Story

I ran into an old friend today who homeschooled his second child during high school. Here's the story:

R (son) went to a public high school in Maryland. He was not very academically oriented and was totally focused on his sport (at which he was Olympic calliber) which he did outside of the school.

In the first half of tenth grade, his grades slipped from Bs to Cs, he seemed unhappy, and there were some discussions about switching to a private school. Near the end of the first semester, on a Friday, there was some incidents which confirmed the parents' suspicions that he was involved with drugs, perhaps dealing. There was a confusing set of phone calls and activity on Friday (never fully understood) which also included a visit from the local police.

By Sunday night, the parents had made a decision to not send him back to school. They decided to start homeschooling him on Monday and would try to find a decent alternative school. They told R on Sunday night and he did not complain.

Monday morning, they took him to the office (he is an optician, she is the office manager). The father started to establish a program. They took him to the office daily and his father put together his educational program.

For math, he basically got the school text book and teacher guide (getting the teacher guide was a major problem, he finally got it by a teacher just handing it to him since he couldn't seem to buy it anywhere) and starting work R through it.

In language arts, after having some discussions with R, his Dad decided that the major goal was to get his son to read. It seemed that he had never really read a book. He picked King Rat by James Clavell because it was the type of book that would appeal to his son, was meaty and so would provide a sense of accomplishment, and he remembered it as a gripping story from page one.

The first week did not go well on this score. R was surley and while he spent the requisite one hour a day on it, he seemed to have covered less than half a dozen pages by the end of the week. Week 2, R started reading and over a few weeks, devoured the book. They talked about what to read next and R asked if Clavell had written anything else. This opened the floodgates.

On science and social studies, they discussed what courses to do when and basically followed the public school text books.

There was no socializing or other homeschool activities, there was just a daily focus on academics. In Maryland, there are meetings with public educators mandated to get reviewed and advised. Some meetings were very helpful, some were a waste of time, in one case, the reviewer was hostile. Overall, they had minimal impact or input.

They did look for schools for a few months but did not really pursue it. Over three years, he covered a good high school curriculum and graduated. He continued his very active athletic career during this period (he was a world class athlete).

-------------------------------------------------

I found this very interesting. It shows how parents need to be responsive to their child's needs. It shows how parents need to ferret out the problems that their kids are having and help with leading them out of it. In particular, I think it is typical of a "silent portion" of the homeschool community, those that are approaching homeschooling as "problem-solving" , not dogmatically or philosophically.
    Last edited by hearthstone_academy; 11-04-2010 at 09:15 AM.
    John Edelson, Founder
    It's Time 4 Learning. And Fun!

Time4Learning is Automated Online PreK-12th Curriculum: Math, Language Arts & More.
    Time4Writing provides eight week writing courses for students, 2nd-12th grade. Teachers included!

paglia is offline Junior Member

Default A Mississippi Homeschool Story

When we enrolled our two boys in private school again in August 2005 - we already knew it would be the last year we could afford their tuition. With our toddler approaching school age in just a couple of years... and the birth of a new baby just days before school started... Our finances were strained, to say the least... But we cringed at the thought of sending the boys to public school for the first time.

Honestly - we had enough trouble with private school. George struggled with paying attention -- William with bullies... And we ALL suffered through three hours of homework time each night. I felt like I never saw them anymore -- or if I did I was always the horrid tyrant telling them to finish their homework or tuck in their shirts... While the teachers took them on field trips and let them make dinosaur dioramas all day. We received ridiculous notes from the teachers that would say things like "George doesn't know how to read yet -- please work on this." Uhm... why is it again that we were paying $6000 to send them to this school if we were the ones teaching them anyway?

So - the frustration was already there on August 29th when Hurricane Katrina hit. Katrina was just the large and sopping wet straw that broke the proverbial camel's back.

Our house -- well inland on a piece of property that has not even come close to flooding in 300 years of recorded history -- took in three feet of nasty Katrina water. We were all here to see it too - me, my husband, my mother, our two boys, two girls, five cats, and a puppy. We survived... and we somehow survived the aftermath (you've seen the news). We lost 90% of our personal possessions -- everything except whatever was in the boys' rooms which remained untouched. We lost both of our vehicles... And we had a severely damaged house. With no flood insurance (our agent didn't even try to sell it to us -- no flood in 300 years, remember?) - we thought we were ruined.

With no where else to go -- we lived in the wet and stinky house. Slowly but surely with the help of FEMA - our life savings - and kindly volunteers... we managed to strip and clean the place out....
    But we were still living with half-removed interior walls and concrete floors by Christmas of 2005.

Things were not normal. But somehow - the school managed to reopen in October and my husband went back to work. Of course, I had no car to bring them to school... and the private school did not have a bus... So the boys were forced to walk to school every morning. When it rained in the morning - my husband would have to leave work and drive back across town to pick them up and drop them off.. Even worse when it rained in the afternoon as well - as their dad would end up coming home very late at night trying to make up the time he missed bringing them to school.

The first time a teacher pulled me aside to tell me that the boys were getting to school 'almost late' in the mornings and that we should set a better example for them regarding punctuality -- I almost lost it. When I got the letter from the school telling all parents (100% of which were either living in tents on the slabs where their homes once stood or were living in gutted-out shells as we were) that there were some school uniforms were looking a little shabby or were ill-fitting and that 'enough time had passed' for everyone to be able to go out and replace uniforms ruined in the storm - I think I did lose it... but I was alone at the time.

It was when our oldest son brought home a progress report with an "F" in social studies that I'm sure I lost it. We called the teacher to find out what had happened and of course - she said that we had to schedule a conference rather than talk over the phone. More time missed from work for my husband - and we discovered that George had not turned in a particular assignment. I remembered the assignment when she showed it to me... I had put it in his folder completed. But my husband remembered it too - he had taken it out of his folder thinking it was schoolwork to be reviewed. In the chaos of our totally abnormal post-Katrina lives -- we, the parents, made a mistake. We explained to her that it was our fault... But she refused to change his grade. This one worksheet meant so much because it was one of only three she had given that year. That night my husband feverishly poured through our finished schoolwork file looking for that worksheet -- and he actually found it. We had proof that it was finished - proof that our 8 year old did the work and that we goofed up. My husband brought the sheet to the teacher in the morning and explained again. She was 'kind' enough to give him 50% credit for the assignment - but said that he needed to learn that it was HIS responsibility to keep up with his schoolwork.

That's when I lost it and I wasn't alone.

We were living in what only could be described as a post-apocalyptic world. All of us are suffering from post-traumatic stress disorder. We didn't have walls or a chair to sit on in the living room - yet we faithfully suffered through the three hours of homework torture every night... The one store in town kept running out of diapers and toilet paper.... We all had other things on our minds... we made a mistake....

But when I explained this to her - her response was that it was in the best interest of our children to not use the storm as an excuse. We were to go on as if everything was normal - to make them feel like everything was normal. Let's just say - I don't agree with the philosophy. I knew that the teachers often resorted to bizarre mind-tricks and reduced everything to psycho-babble... but teaching our children that nothing on earth is more important than not having worn spots on the knees of your trousers or returning your assignment folder on Monday signed by your groggy and incoherent parent (who often signed the wrong page during this period) is just wrong.

These sorts of things went on for the entire post-Katrina schoolyear... And eventually the teachers began to hear from the boys that I was considering homeschooling them. When one teacher declared in poor handwriting on a sticky note that I should reconsider because I was not 'qualified' -- the decision was made.

There are more important things... MUCH more important things than getting a smiley-face on the weekly assignment chart or sending in your fundraiser materials on time. We could have died that week in August -- like so many thousands who did. I decided it was more important for us all to be together.... Not for 30 minutes after homework time each night or for the 30 minutes in the morning while we're shuffling around looking for someone's belt...

And while their school counterparts sing bad renditions of "High Hopes" while planting a tree outside in the playground... My kids and I roam the coast and document a major moment in history... we talk to our neighbors and hug them when they cry. My boys have helped unload and sort donated items from charities... and they've helped with the distribution. They have volunteered to help neighbors clean out their houses.... and they've helped clean out their own.

We are all learning what's really important.... and what's not. And we're doing it together.

And that's why we're homeschooling.
    zainab, Joybelle and faeryphoebe1 like this.

SueRainville is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default AMAZING RESULTS!!

My name is Sue and I am a Full-Time Army wife and mother of a special needs child. Our son Brandon is an 8-year-old third grader who is currently being treated for BiPolar, Sensory Integration Dysfunction and possible OCD. For the last 2 years, my husband and I have constantly frustrated with the education that our son has been receiving. The schools did not know how to work with or son's condition or did not want to take the time to help him.

It has been especially difficult since we moved back to the United States at the end of October 2006. It's hard enough for a child to make friends and get into a "groove" when moving to a new place, but to make matters worse, most of the medications that his doctors have been trying with him have not been working. They either don't have the desired effect or his body is too sensitive and he has an adverse reaction. With the last school that he was in (from November 2006 up until last week), we informed the school that the new meds would make him sleepy until his body adjusted. (Please keep in mind that this is a public school in southern Oklahoma that our son was enrolled in SPECIFICALLY because they specialize in educating kids with special needs.) The majority of the school officials had no patience with him and at one meeting the vice-principal made a comment that all Brandon did was complain that he was sleepy and that they felt as if they were no longer educators, but merely "babysitters".

It was because of that comment and also by seeing one of their methods of "restraint" firsthand that I decided that I would homeschool our son. I was tired of playing by all the rules and doing everything that we were recommended or told to do by doctors, teachers, administrators etc. I asked my husband to give me one month and if at the end of one month he did not believe that we had made any progress, I would put Bran back in school.

When I first started researching homeschooling online I was quite overwhelmed. So much to know, so many places that say that their way is the best and honestly, I didn't know where to begin. My main focus was to find a program that would keep his attention and teach him without him realizing it. (Brandon is very intelligent and learns quickly, so when he knows something and is forced to repeat it over and over he becomes bored and immediately is annoyed by it.)

During all of my researching, the one that name kept coming up on just about every site I was Time4Learning. I have to admit, I was very skeptical. It sounded too good to be true and I kept saying,"How can they say it's a good program if they're not charging an arm and a leg?" That was the exact question that my husband asked me. He immediately thought that it was going to be a bust. However, when I told him that they offered a trial period and that the payments were about the same as what we were paying for Bran's lunch at school, we decided to give it a shot.

GOING WITH TIME4LEARNING WAS THE BEST DECISION WE HAVE EVER MADE FOR OUR SON!! Not only was the site fairly easy to navigate, but when you do get stuck (and I did at one point) the helpful, knowledgeable staff was AWESOME when I called. Our son is actually learning and loving the whole experience. NEVER thought I'd ever say those words all in one sentence. We all love the fact that they make learning into fun, interactive games that keep him focused and motivated. He loves the characters and the "hidden treasures" as he likes to call them. (Clickable objects scattered around that turn animated.) Best of all, he can work at his own pace and not feel rushed. If he gets tired or I can see him getting antsy, we can take a break and rest. This alone is more of a blessing than you could ever possibly know. He knows now that he isn't stuck in a desk being forced to keep up with the other children and if he needs to rest he can without fear of being criticized for it.

In just a very short amount of time we have seen a DRASTIC OVERALL change in our son's behavior and mood. He is more relaxed and so much happier than he was in "regular" school. I am extremely pleased with the outcome and so is my husband. If this is what we can expect from this program, then I can't wait to see ourselves in a month or a year.

THANK YOU SO MUCH T4L for giving our family the peace of mind that we have been searching for.

With much appreciation,
    Gary, Sue and Brandon Rainville
    zainab, Joybelle and faeryphoebe1 like this.

JohnEdelson is offline Super Moderator

These are amazing stories. Since I've been asking people for their "why I homeschool" stories, I've noticed something interesting...the fact that many people's start in homeschooling appears totally accidental.

I've collected a few of these stories where I characterize familes starting as "accidental homeschoolers"....
    John Edelson, Founder
    It's Time 4 Learning. And Fun!

Time4Learning is Automated Online PreK-12th Curriculum: Math, Language Arts & More.
    Time4Writing provides eight week writing courses for students, 2nd-12th grade. Teachers included!

NewLifeAcademy is offline Member Regular

Homeschooling was always my first choice. My husband didn't disapprove of homeschooling but he thought it would be best to have our shy little one in school to help her make friends. Our youngest has always seemed a bit behind in developmental areas. She seemed to have a very long attention span for listening to me read for literally hours at a time. However, in school she seemed to her teachers to be spacy and "lazy". She was always well behaved and the teachers labled her as "delightful" to have in class.

We had her repeat Kindergarten. She never volunteered to speak. Not even to the children. Her second year of K went a little better. She made one friend. Her teacher heard her voice for the first time after Christmas. First grade she had two friends. She didn't say anything unless she was directly asked to answer a question. My husband was shy as a boy so we thought she's just the intraverted type.

By Christmas in first grade, we started begging the staff at her school to test her for learning challenges. Nope. She seemed fine to them. I started working afterschool and every weekend to try to help her grasp the concepts she did not understand.

Second grade she regressed in her reading abilities and math. We begged again for them to test her. They said she was at the top of the list to be tested for learning problems. She was walking in her sleep and throwing up at breakfast several times a week. She was so nervous all the time. Her teachers noticed she was starting to "shut down" during stressful situations.

We finally had her tested independantly during Christmas break of her second grade year. Her docs said she is Specific Learning Disabled. In a nut shell she is dylexic, dysgraphic, struggles with dyscalcula and has a speech delay. Both of the doctors that evaluated her said that homeschooling would be an ideal situation for our precious daughter to reach her potential. (That was like a miracle to have two PhDs tell my husband that THEY both thought homeschool would be best for her!)

She has progressed through the first grade level of LA in T4L. She really likes the program. She loves music. There is not too much stuff moving on the screen at the same time so it doesn't aggrivate her issues with becoming visually over stimulated. She can go at her own pace so she doesn't get overwhelmed. She has been pushing herself because she has noticed that she is reading better and finally has hope that she might be like the other kids someday and be able to READ on her own without MOM always helping her. Her favorite subject is science so instead of going to the playground area in T4L she asks to do some of the science.

It is a joy to guide my daughter in her education. With patience and prayer I know she will succeed.
    faeryphoebe1 likes this.

adelenpaul is offline Member Regular

We have been homeschooling for 7 years now. It was something that was in the back of my head but not anything I had seriously considered.

My now 13.5 yo son had been attending K and 1st at a private Christian school known for their advanced curriculum. We knew he was advanced and the school was trying to accommodate him but they just didn't have the resources. They wanted to advance him to the third grade but he was already the youngest in first. The kids all thought he could walk on water and that created problems of its own. He was now THE standard to beat and gave him no room to fail or take a risk. He was bored in the classroom and the constant rushing from home to school and back again was causing him a great deal of stress.

It was his dear first grade teacher that suggested we homeschool. "We just don't know what to do with a kid like him." Hmmm, good idea. In hindsight it would have made perfect sense to do it sooner. So with fear and trepidation we started homeschooling. I have a teaching degree and at first that got in the way. I had a picture in my head of what "school" should look like and unfortunately that didn't fit with my son's learning style. Thankfully we sorted through it all. Yeah Mom!

My daughter was in K at the ps and doing fine but was bored out of her mind. She is also adhd and a bored adhd student is not a good thing! LOL I asked the gt consultant to test her for eligibility for the gt program and they refused to even talk with her. So.. there we were homeschooling again. Dd was the one I was most concerned about having home and she has been so much fun! She is able to be challenged and yet still do things in her own kinesthetic/visual way. It's a learning curve for both of us.

Finding T4L recently has been wonderful! It offers me some flexibility and freedom. I don't feel as if I'm the one driving all the lessons. It helps us progress a little more promptly through science and social studies as it seemed those were things I never got to (since I was the one driving it!). Now we still work together but she can get the ball rolling with T4L and then we ride together. Perfect!

She loves the visual and auditory portions of the language arts. She really enjoys working on the computer and I love the fact that there isn't a trail of papers around the house when she has completed school. AND T4L keeps the records for me. What a better solution than that?!

I love being able to customize for each student the learning adventure. I love being able to see a play on Sojourner Truth rather than just reading about it.

Homeschooling isn't for everyone but we love it and are so grateful for it! It has been a lot of work but a blessing for our family.

Adele
    [email protected]
    faeryphoebe1 likes this.

SavannasMom is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default Our story

My daughter (Savanna, 11) has never had a positive experience in school. When we enrolled her in California's public school system it was one that filled me with dread but she seemed to love it. She wasn't ready for it however which opened her up to the frustration of a teacher who should have retired.

I believe that a lot of the problems our children face in public schools who are dealing with teachers who got into teaching for the right reasons but through underpay or burn out are bitter and take this out on any child (or all children) who makes things a bit harder on them. Please don't misunderstand me, im sure there are WONDERFUL teachers out there who continued to stay wonderful through the entirety of there career but our experience has been very different.

I was picking my daughter up from kindergarten and was standing at the fence (it was a closed campus so we couldn't just walk right up) I could see the front of her classroom from where I was standing and happened to be a tiny bit early. All the children came piling out and my daughter was busy with the distractions of everything around her. Which is her way.

The teacher was busy wrangling other students when I saw her grab my daughter, rip her around and scream in her face. Needless to say I had seen enough and promptly went to the principles office with my complaint. My daughter didn't want to return to her class. With the overcrowding of the school system, there was no room for her to go to another classroom so we made the decision to pull her from kindergarten that year.

The next year while there was no abuse I could see. I found myself in all sorts of parent teacher conferences telling me my daughter wasn't paying attention. Wasn't working to her full ability. All complaints, never anything positive. I found it hard to believe that my daughter was SO bad. I hadn't noticed these behaviors at home. Needless to say she finally finished kindergarten. 1st grade wasn't any better. She didn't get complaints but I'm convinced her teacher slept through class! We never heard ANYTHING. Nothing positive. Nothing negative. Her teacher was almost 78 and they had no projects, no field trips. Nothing was said.

By the time we got to the 2nd grade, we had moved to a more prominent part of California. Which you would expect to be better. But it wasn't. The politics of wealth in school were prominent. Then we had to deal with a lot of kids thinking they were better than other kids. Kids whom should have been punished for certain things going unnoticed simply because of the child's parents involvement (or financial involvement) in the school. There were more flyers home from that school for luxury car auctions and such than anything about my daughter education. When a family emergency forced me to pull my daughter from school for 2 weeks for a trip to Texas, I got a letter from the school talking about they thought keeping her back would be a good idea.

When I finally had the meeting with the principle. The reasons were not academic. Savanna was doing fine academically. They felt she wasn't ready to move on socially. We made the decision at the end of that year to move to Oklahoma to be closer to my family. I ignored their recommendation to keep her back and put her directly into the 3rd grade. Being that we moved into a tiny tiny town where class sizes were about 10 and entire school enrollment was about 200. I felt this would leave time for teachers to take more time in my daughter. At the end of the school year, with about 2 months until summer I got a letter stating they were not going to pass my daughter. When I went in to find out why, they said they had just received my packet from the school in California stating they were intending to hold her back. When questioned about Savannas academic ability they couldn't tell me she was doing badly, only that they didn't feel she was "Socially up to snuff" which were the exact words spoken.

Apr a month later, my nephew was killed with an accidental gun shot wound to the head while my daughter was at school. He was 4 and she was devastated. Before she could even get home from school, being that we live in a small town the news had already reached her. She was 10. Instead of the truth there were horrible lies told to her by the children. The following months she was numb and couldn't focus. On top of that the town was divided about support or turning there back on my family. My sisters other children were taken by the state and given to us. Savannas friends mothers no longer allowed them to play with savanna. She was alone, and had lost her best friend.

When the hard grieving was over. When the funeral was over and the police and investigators were gone things seemed to settle down a bit. But not for my daughter. She developed a sort of panic about the way the children and teachers would treat her when she went back to school. I had a meeting with the principle prior to enrolling my daughter in school. When asked how she would protect my daughter from the comments and problems with her cousins death. She said "I think it would be better if you found an alternative method for your daughter'

We irrevocably decided on home school as there was no other choice. My daughter was excited. She SLAMMED through her courses with no problem. None of the problems teachers had explained to me over the years. We had decided to do home school until we could get to a place where I felt comfortable with putting her back into a private school. This year, her second year at home schooling. Myself and my husband have decided to home school her exclusively. I think its better for my daughters mental health in the long run. Now school isn't scary. It doesn't hold the same issues that it did before with her. Its a part of her day and it doesn't hold any psychological holdups like before.

This is our story. And were glad we were somewhat forced into this life. Its better for our daughter which is the MOST important thing to both of us.

Rebecca

Mommydynee is offline Junior Member Newbie

I had posted this elsewhere and since it pretty much covers why we are here, decided to post it here too.

Hi Rebecca,
    I've been anxious to respond since the day you posted. First, I had to sign up in the forum and for some reason it wouldn't work. Anyway, now it is.

The beginning of your story sounded so much like ours. Our dd (biologically grand daughter, adopted) is a delightful person and special beyond words. She is not really shy, but is very compliant and just doesn't make problems. However, in the private Christian school she attended from k-3, she was labeled as fidgety and distracted. Her 2nd grade teacher made an effort to assist her in reading which she struggled with, but the school did not support her efforts. Finally, in 3rd grade she was tested and labeled as ADD. She is extremely quick in math and though she is currently at 8th grade, she is capable of upper high school math and algebra. However, she still struggles with reading and spelling.
    At 4th grade, the Christian school teacher was not a good Christian if at all. I accidentally caught her belittling the children in her classroom in a very harsh manner. My dd began exhibiting signs of low self esteem. When we realized the verbal abuse from the teacher was frequently referred to her we pulled her out.

Having no idea what else to do we enrolled her in public school. My husband and I run a business together and we found a school close to the business. It had a great administrative staff. The prinicple was a Christian as well as most of the teachers. In the beginning we thought this was the answer. She could also get special help for her ADD.

To make this not so long...we soon learned the school was basically made up of kids that came from much different homes than ours and even in her 4th grade room, there were gangs. She was bullied by the gang of girls...first because she behaved in class (the children were always out of control)...then because she wouldn't do their homework for them. She was locked in bathroom stalls, her glasses taken from her, her lunches stolen as well as most of her school supplies. It turned into being stabbed with pencils, hair pulling, and pushing her down.

Everyday she was afraid to go to school and I was afraid for her to go. She would not let me go to the administration because she feared this gang would kill her.

They were finally exposed by another 'bad' kid in the class and actioins were taken against them, but not before I promised her we would never do that again.

We have now been homeschooling since 5th grade. We did 2 years of a private online school. First year was wonderful; 2nd was a nigthmare. Last year was a hodge podge of several curriculums. Now we're going to try this and supplement with a couple of other programs.

Since I work full time (actually two jobs) it's not always easy to say the least. But we will stay at it. I have found her to be a very quick and independent learner. I have a teaching background which I guess helps but she really does not require much help, just that I keep her on schedule.

Your story sounds much sadder but I'm glad you seem to be in happier learning times.

Learning should be happy and fun.

I'm new, too, but welcome to T4L!

McEwanClan is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default Homeschooling to Unlock my Child

Homeschooling for us was not an option, it was a necessity. My daughter was formerly diagnosed ADHD with DSI (Dysfunction in Sensory Integration) combined with OCD in the second grade. By third grade she had added migraines and ulcer like symptoms to her repertoire. She was miserable and hated school, learning, and anything related to it. She struggled to keep herself together throughout the school day's distractions and missed most of the instruction (which quite frankly did not appeal to her learning style anyway.) She would then come home and melt down (I'm talking two year old tantrum melt downs the minute her feet crossed the threshold, without the ability to vocalize what was troubling her.) Relating to her siblings was unbearable and she still faced at least 2 hours per night in homework. I will say she did have one truly remarkable teacher in fourth grade and we did see some improvements in her demeanor only to be shut down again during state tests and again the following year.

With Middle School approaching, we knew we had no choice but to homeschool our daughter T. We had begged and pleaded with the school system for 3 years with a 504 Acommodation Plan on our side but with no successs. We knew if we had not had success with one academic teacher that it would be impossible to gain acceptance of T's accommodations (which were simple to implement and proved to work for her) with 5 different academic teachers. So I, with a full time and part time job, began our journey.

It was truly a blessing from God that I found Time 4 Learning. I expected some resistance at first since T typically has trouble warming to new things, but I can honestly say that from the very first day, she loved it! I could not believe it. Humor has become very important to her and she thought the lessons were very funny and would show them to her brothers repeatedly. I have never heard her complain about the lessons.

Not only was T4L a blessing for T, it was for me also. I was really stretched thin from developing her lesson plans from scratch since I could not find a curriculum that I believed would appeal to her. My main goal was for her to learn to enjoy learning (at any level).

Today, after only one year, she is a completely different child. She laughs and is truly happy in her own skin. Her DSI issues are much less extreme and are tolerable for the first time in her 12 years. T4L filled a need for us and I am truly grateful.

I used it last year as my main curriculum and intend to do the same this year with some supplementation. I only pray that it can be developed further into the Middle and High School years. PLEASE if at all possible consider it. Lives are being changed as a result of this program.

My daughter for the first time can enjoy being the person God created her to be and is no longer frustrated by what she can't do...she's learning what she can do!

God Bless!
    Anne

mom2mce is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default homeschooling with T4L

We are enjoying T4L very much. I stumbled on it in Jan 07 for my 2nd child. She does not like me teaching her. She likes to self learn on her own terms and refused to let me teach her to read. I searched for a solution and found T4L on a home school site and joined.
    She does school often without me telling her and really enjoys it. I monitor her work and sneak some workbooks in as well but she prefers T4L on her own.
    I had to add my other 2 girls within a week of her because they begged me to. All 3 now enjoy your program. It's a really nice break from our book curriculum and for me as the teacher.
    I love hearing them laugh while learning. It usually ends up with 2 of them together at the computer cheering each other on for higher scores while giving bits of help. They frequently discuss what they are learning with friends and family. I think they don't actually believe using T4L is school because it is so much fun.

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast