Homeschoolers - Would you share your stories please? - Page 8
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Homeschoolers - Would you share your stories please?

Chrys is offline Junior Member

Well, it's been a long and curvy road for our family to come back to homeschooling. I did homeschool my son for pre-school (he's now in 5th grade) and did so well with him that they wanted to jump him ahead to second grade when he entered public school kindergarten! But, after a couple nights discussion with my husband we decided that due to our son's short stature and being so young it just wasn't the time to be skipping grades. A couple years later I missed the opportunity to home school our middle child because I was wound up with my husband suddenly coming down with seizures which required a lot of care because he'd have several grand-maul a day. At that time our youngest was only a baby and she had several developmental delays (thankfully she's outgrown most of them) homeschooling just was not an option, most of our week was spent at doctors or learning centers. After several different public schools, a stint in a private catholic school, attempting to go back to public school and many many many hours of frustration for the children and us we were at our wits ends. We were already talking about homeschooling at the end of last school year when suddenly at a ruitine check-up for my husband's CoPD (got the seizures under control, but found other issues) my husband was diagnosed with a terminal illness. He's always wanted to travel but wasn't sure how we could do that with the three kids (not to mention pets) and still keep the curriculum under control enough where we'd still be able to bring clothing and toys while we were on the road. I set to work and found time 4 learning. This is perfect, we can take it with us with no more weight than our computer which was coming anyway ... it's a fun way to learn (one day into it and my kids are already asking if they can do more work! AMAZING!!!) and it's affordable! What more can you ask from a program? I also am teaching using "living" books since all of the children love to be read to and absorb so much that way, but this gives me the ability to work with my pre-K child while the eldest does his work independantly, guide my middle child through her workbook and reading, and even get the laundry done!!! I've learned more in less than a week of homeschooling my three children then I've learned about them in their entire lives. And, although I always knew this somewhere in the back of my mind, every moment is a good moment to learn ... our "field-trip/walk" today was spent doing some errands a couple blocks from the house, my son practiced his times tables while walking through the store, the middle child showed me how well she could count by 2,5, and 10, and the "baby" kept reminding everyone that they had to "be good" because it was "school-time". I'll never go back to public school with my kids, I'd miss out on learning all about such amazing little people and they'd miss out on being able to enjoy school instead of "working" at school.
    Brook Simmons likes this.

fairylover is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

What an amazing journey you have had. I hope you are able to travel and enjoy life with your family for as long as possible. I have always thought Road Schooling would be fun.
    Kathi Homeschooling Mama to Twelve year old Dakota

Askarida517 is offline Junior Member Newbie

Hey guys i kinda new here and i want to share

amygailanderson is offline Junior Member

My husband and I were both active duty military so we believe in structure, accountability and perseverance. I got out with the birth of our first child. Fast forward twelve years, and we now have the smart son that has learned the system. He would say things like "I'll just take the zero for that, I don't want to do this for homework" or "my grade is high enough". The system has let him fall to the wayside because he passes his classes and is not a problem child. He is not challenged, he is simply allowed to skirt by. Even though his teachers all state he is quite intelligent, he cannot be placed in more challenging classes because of his average grades due to lack of motivation. The only repercussions he gets is from his parents, and it is difficult to punish a child when the school does not let me know when he is not turning in his assignments. I have found that the school tried too hard to make them adults at a young age- no recess after second grade, lockers and switching classes in fourth. My son is a bit lacksadaisical about things, and the school is not pressing him to challenge himself educationally yet they are asking him to be responsible beyond the maturation of a child. Elementary aged children need the ability to play for a few minutes during the day to relieve some stress, they should be running around the playground, not squeezing a potty break into a break between classes.
    My daughter did not pass the school administered test for G/T classes because of test scores from the previous year (she was ill). She scored the highest in her class for the standardized tests, got the most A/R points in the whole school and did not study a single sheet of paper sent home by her teacher while making straight A's. She was also allowed to do extra projects because she completed her work so quickly. Since the new school year started, the teachers wanted her to go back to 4th grade work instead of leaving her on the higher levels she was previously on. The library no longer had books for her, she would bring them from home due to the grade level. The principal actually suggested that I enroll her in classes after the school day ended in order for her to be challenged. I did not feel that my daughter needed to be punished with extra work because the public education system was failing to meet her needs.
    My sister is stationed overseas in the military, and she was explaining to me how enjoyable T4L was, as well as how much her kids enjoyed it, so we decided to give it a try. We are enjoying the freedom to travel a bit with the kids and still be able to have them complete their studies. My son is learning to be more responsible, as he is required to take notes and complete his assignments daily. He learned through trial and error what happens when he chooses to slack off. My daughter is enjoying her school, I have not had a single day yet of her stating how she does not want to do schooling, whereas in public school I would have to drag her out of bed some mornings. She is allowed to complete her lessons at her own pace because she finishes her assignments quickly. After we have adjusted a bit more to the new school year I plan on adding extra lessons to encompass more activities for my children. Currently we are doing daily Bible studies, some travelling and the kids will be starting up soccer again next month. I am enjoying the flexibility that home school has allowed us.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8