Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By Mandy in TN
  • 2 Post By fairylover
  • 1 Post By Mandy in TN
  • 1 Post By MamaToHerRoo

Thread: Homeschooling is a parental responsibility! VENT

Mandy in TN is offline Senior Member

Default Homeschooling is a parental responsibility! VENT

Several times recently, I have run across homeschool parents who seem to be confused about what they signed on to do when they decided to educate their child at home. So- this is just a vent. I am not talking about a difference in homeschool philosophy. I really don't have a problem with someone CHOOSING to be a radical unschooler and happy with that decision or someone CHOOSING to use Calvert with ATS exactly as designed and being happy with it.

My vent is about parents bringing a child home, expecting that child to self-teach and not wanting to be engaged with the child in any educational fashion, with any curriculum, or with any educational philosophy. They want to purchase a product, have the child leave them alone and self-teach spending all day without any human engagement being self-motivated in moving through the material, and they don't even want to check with any regularity to see that whatever they purchased is being completed correctly. Then, they are shocked, angry, or frustrated when they do finally check up on their offspring and find that either the child is behind where they expected or the child isn't completing the work at the level of mastery the they expected. Then, they blame the situation on the child.

Good Grief! What is this? As a parent, you decided to home educate. You are are the person in charge. It doesn't take a genius to realize that very few kids are this self-motivated, and the ones who are still need parental involvement from time to time either to ask questions or to engage with another human being and discuss what they are learning. This handing off a product and then blaming the child when it isn't used how you wanted it to be used is not only a dysfunctional educational environment it is a dysfunctional relationship. Either decide to engage in home education in a way that actually works for your family or decide to put your child in school.

End of rant. Carry on.
    Mandy
    Last edited by Mandy in TN; 03-24-2014 at 09:52 AM.
    MamaToHerRoo likes this.
    ds Doodlebug 11yo
    currently homeschooling with an eclectic mess of stuff

homeschool graduates:
    ds Cashew 20yo
    ds Peanut 22yo

fairylover is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

I totally understand your feelings Mandy. One of my favorite questions that I get all the time is "Where can I find a homeschool for my child?" They are completely serious. I so want to say, "You have a home. That is where your homeschool is."
    MamaToHerRoo and Mandy in TN like this.
    Kathi Homeschooling Mama to Twelve year old Dakota

Quote Originally Posted by fairylover View Post
    I totally understand your feelings Mandy. One of my favorite questions that I get all the time is "Where can I find a homeschool for my child?" They are completely serious. I so want to say, "You have a home. That is where your homeschool is."
    How do you keep a straight face? I would assume that they meant to ask where they could find a homeschool tutorial or a homeschool group. If I thought they were serious, I have no idea how I would react. Uhmm, home schooling is where you are responsible for your child's education. How you do that (depending on the state where you reside) is largely your choice and your responsibility. Even if you use a tutorial, it is still your responsibilty to take care of whatever paperwork is required by your state or umbrella. Even if they require nothing, it is still your responsibility to keep whatever records your child may need. How do you find a homeschool? Geesh! Where do you live? If you are looking for a place to send your child everyday, that is just called school.
    ds Doodlebug 11yo

homeschool graduates:
    ds Cashew 20yo
    ds Peanut 22yo

No, I have people ask how I get my children to do their schoolwork. I usually start by asking what schoolwork means to them. I mean everything, everywhere is a learning experience, so what isn't happening that you think should be? Usually, they mean a math text or some other textbook, workbook, or product that could be used in a typical traditional classroom. I tend to look at them and blink slowly before explaining that my child doesn't use any textbooks. We own some that we use for reference, but currently he isn't systematically working through any textbooks.

However, when he is learning something new, it can go a few ways. I instigate the material. It is something I want him to learn, so either I present the material or I coordinate having the material presented. I make myself available to him for assistance. I may do the dishes or something, but, if he needs me, I stop and help him. If it is an assignment that involved some sort of written output, I check to see that it was completed correctly. Yes, I try to check right then or within a short period of time. If it is something that I am requiring, then I am the teacher and it is my responsibility, my job as an educator, to teach (or see that it is taught) and check the assignment. If it something he is working on figuring out for himself, something he has instigated, I leave him to it unless he asks for assistance and then I see what I can do to help. I see that as my responsibility as a parent. Often, lately what they mean is that their child has a stack of classroom-type materials that the parent is expecting the child to use... alone.

Sometimes, he is cranky and sometimes I am cranky. Some days are rough for one reason or another. However, I am very clear that when I chose to homeschool I chose to legally take responsibility for my child's education. Aside from the fact that legally the parent is the responsible party, how would you feel if you sent your child to school and when he arrived they handed him a stack of books. They told him to go sit in a room alone and expected him to figure everything out himself. They only sporadically checked to see that he was completing his assignments and acted put out about grading or explaining anything. If on one of these infrequent random checks they discovered he was behind or not doing well, they blamed him. Is this the school you want your child to attend? Then, why is this how you homeschool?!?!
    Last edited by Mandy in TN; 03-24-2014 at 04:52 PM.
    MamaToHerRoo likes this.
    ds Doodlebug 11yo

homeschool graduates:
    ds Cashew 20yo
    ds Peanut 22yo

MamaToHerRoo is offline Senior Member

Ladies, I just have to tell you that I am giving you both a standing ovation! Thank you for making a great argument...
    Mandy in TN likes this.
    Linda
    Homeschooling one for 8 years and counting!

fairylover is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

Thanks Linda.
    Kathi Homeschooling Mama to Twelve year old Dakota