How long to get into a routine?
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Mandy in TN
  • 1 Post By Mandy in TN

Thread: How long to get into a routine?

Amber Cross is offline Member

Default How long to get into a routine?

Ok I am new to homeschooling my 3 and 5yr.old daughters for a bout a month now. How long does it take to get used to things and get into a routine?

fairylover is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

With kids as young as yours it could take a while. Three year olds are so different every day. If you are consistent you should be able to settle into somewhat of a routine in two or three months. You have to really be consistent but also a bit flexible for the little ones. Have you tried starting with a morning circle and building your day from there?
    Kathi Homeschooling Mama to Twelve year old Dakota

Amber Cross is offline Member

No. What ideas do you have for a morning circle?

Blog Entries

Look into some of the Waldorf traditions. They talk a lot about the cycles of the day. Starting with a morning circle to bring the day together. Sometimes lighting a candle to begin the day. Singing simple songs, especially songs with hand motions. Then moving through the rhythm of the day. look at some of the Waldorf sites. Try A Little Flower Garden. They may give you some good ideas. They are geared toward younger children.

Mandy in TN is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Amber Cross View Post
    Ok I am new to homeschooling my 3 and 5yr.old daughters for a bout a month now. How long does it take to get used to things and get into a routine?
    This is very dependent upon the personalities of the little people, your consistency, and your expectations.

However, having said this I agree with Kathi. Waldorf-y stuff is really good at building rhythm/ routine into your day/ week/ year. Even if you don't buy into any of the anthroposophy stuff, the materials and routines can be beautiful and helpful. Seasonal tables, wet-on-wet painting, and finger knitting are all things that we have incorporated into our homeschool. I kept meaning to add form drawing and never have. Waldorf craft materials are really high quality.

Your kiddos are pretty young, but my youngest joined his older brothers for tea time poetry from birth. We didn't typically have tea, but we usually had something sweet to eat. Eloise Wilkin's Poems to Read to the Very Young is a board book that is one of my favorites for very little kiddos. The Ambleside Year 1 online poems arranged by month is another favorite compilation of mine. The Random House Book of Poetry for Children is another favorite. With everyone gone, right now the little guy and I are reading poetry together about 4x/ week. That is nice, but I sort of miss the big production of tea time. It made special memories.

Trish Kuffner's Picture Book Activities has lots of ideas based on children's books. The index also has directions for things like edible peanut butter play doh. Five in a Row is Christian, but even if you are not there is a ton of adaptable material. I love my little Before Five in a Row books and I am saving them to share with my grandchildren. I think that both of these products have suggested weekly schedules.

HTH-
    Mandy
    ds Doodlebug 11yo
    currently homeschooling with an eclectic mess of stuff

homeschool graduates:
    ds Cashew 20yo
    ds Peanut 22yo

I forgot Mother Goose. Every child should spend some quality time with Mother Goose.
    Mandy
    Amber Cross likes this.
    ds Doodlebug 11yo

homeschool graduates:
    ds Cashew 20yo
    ds Peanut 22yo

I am a bad inconsistent blogger, but here are some of the posts that I labeled tea time poetry. Through probably 4th grade we just read and memorize poems. After that I start discussing poems and elements of poetry. You can see the difference between the tea times with my high schoolers and tea time with littles.

Here is some finger knitting with loops. This is difficult to do with the cheap nylon loops, but fabulous with the higher quality cotton loops.

Mandy
    Amber Cross likes this.
    ds Doodlebug 11yo

homeschool graduates:
    ds Cashew 20yo
    ds Peanut 22yo

Blog Entries

Great ideas Mandy.