How many hours?
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: How many hours?

LindaW is offline Junior Member

Default How many hours?

How many hours do your children put in on school work each day? I have never actually met another person that chooses to teach their child at home (this is a small town) so people look at me weird when my children are not doing hours and hours of work each day. I don't think people understand that I am teaching 2 children not the 20+ that would be in a classroom!

fairylover is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

We spend between one and two hours a day on actual "school work". We do not do school every day. We also spend a lot of time doing field trips and play dates which can be included in your total number of hours if you have to report hours. you can also include any reading time, learning games, grocery shopping that the kids help with.

It is so true that you can school your children in a much shorter time than the schools can. So much time is lost in taking attendance, getting everyone to settle down, trips to the bathroom, recess, lunch, lining up for all of these activities, going to the library, helping those who are behind to catch up, and so many other things. I have heard it said that homeschoolers can accomplish as much in 30 minutes as schools can in a six hour day.

I would suggest that you look into finding a local support group close to you. It is so important for the kids to meet other kids that are like them. And, sometimes I think it is more important, for mom to have others to chat with and compare notes with. You need people who are not going to question your every decision. Stop over at the Indiana Parent Forums. There is a link to support groups there.
    Kathi Homeschooling Mama to Twelve year old Dakota

LindaW is offline Junior Member

Is very hard for me to really get into a support group because online and phone is really the only way we could talk to anybody because I do not drive. When we went to FL and stayed with my mom for 3 months they went to co - op every Friday and they HATED it!
    As far as I know Indiana only requires that they attend a school setting for so many days a year so they do not have to do a certain amount of hours. They tend to get done with their work very quickly and I really want them to take their time so I believe we are going to do an hour of school before lunch - have lunch - go for 30 minute walk - then another hour or so of school work - 30 minutes of reading before bed. Does this sound like to little or to much? I really need to be more strict on schedule this year since I have a newborn.

Sorry if this seems a little scatter brained I am trying to feed the baby at the same time.

Blog Entries

If your children are older it sounds fine. It may be a bit much for a Kindergarten or first grader. Try it and see how it works out. If they start sitting there with their eyes glazing over then you might try to break it up with more activity.

Chrys is offline Junior Member

I've only just begun homeschooling again (and only did pre-school for my eldest before) but what works for us is something like this: breakfast, an hour of pbs cartoons (to help my 4yo wake up) while my eldest does his chores, then the girls get work in their workbook while my son does t4l, another hour or so of cartoons (to help get the wiggles out lol), my seven yo does her t4l then while my son does his bible study and i teach the youngest her letter for that week, another pbs break because right before lunch there's the kid's two favorite cartoons and this gives me a chance to make lunch and straighten up any mess from the morning, lunch, educational games for the four yo for about 20 min (all she has the patience for), my son finishes up whatever lessons on t4l he didn't get done that morning that I assigned - the seven yo does her chores - and the "baby" and I work on counting small objects (math and small motor skills combined in that), the rest of the afternoon we do fun things walks and art and music among a few. If I work it right the kids even have a mainly free day on Friday which makes them seem to want to work harder the rest of the week... And I just top this off with a story for the girls at bed and my son reading for half an hour or more (the more is if he wants to) before bed. All told there's only 3-4 hours of "stuctured" learning in a day between the three of them but the one day I tried to do it all with no "wiggle-breaks" (my middle child's term lol) the "baby" got cranky, the 7yo got frustrated, and my son (10) couldn't concentrate. Give it a week or two and you'll find what works best for you family and if you have an off day (and today was one of mine) just go with the flow, there is NO right or wrong it's what works best for you family.

KrissyStLouis is offline Junior Member

Quote Originally Posted by LindaW View Post
    How many hours do your children put in on school work each day? I have never actually met another person that chooses to teach their child at home (this is a small town) so people look at me weird when my children are not doing hours and hours of work each day. I don't think people understand that I am teaching 2 children not the 20+ that would be in a classroom!
    Missouri requires that we keep a daily log, and that we show 1000 hours of instruction per year.

365 days - weekends (104) = 261
    261 days - summer (75 days?) = 186
    186 days - other days needed off (15?) = 171

1000 hours divided by 171 days = 5.84....

So, we generally hs for about 3-5 hours, but we do school on occasional Saturdays and some light duty through the summer. We have longer days, too, where we work on "school" for 7-9 hours... but its usually a project, special field trip, etc...

Blog Entries

Don't forget that you can include things like counting out plates for dinner or reading street signs on a walk for school time. Oh and never forget recess. This counts as physical education, definitely school time.

TutorIndia is offline Junior Member Newbie

Hi!
    There's a PC game called " I Spy School Days". This is an awesome game. My children also like this game a lot.

Blog Entries

Thanks. I'll check it out.

Polly Ann Gulley is offline Junior Member Newbie

I live in Missouri and we have to provide at least 1000 hrs of instruction per year. I don't know what state you live in but how do you get enough hours in by only having classwork for one to two hours a day?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast