I'm desperate! College Question
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By fairylover
  • 1 Post By fairylover

Thread: I'm desperate! College Question

kimiyo is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default I'm desperate! College Question

Hi parents,

I have 2 kids who've been homeschooling for a few years. Just recently, as my oldest son decided to go to college and contacted local community college, we found out that they don't accept the transcript from the school we used. It's not the problem with the school but the fact that we've done nothing in terms of communicating with local school. We didn't report to local school district and we didn't keep in touch with them. We thought using accredited program from well established school was good enough. They are saying they need either diploma (not transcript)from school or my son needs to take GED which seems like we're totally throwing away the effort my son made. He took BYU online course and it was even advanced course. What can I fix it when I screw up with homeschooling procedure? Please help!

fairylover is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

I would check around for another community college in your area. Many colleges are courting homschooled students. They are pleased with the way homeschooled kids have developed study habits and the desire to learn on their own.

Some parents develop a transcript on their own recording everything their student did. I don't know what part of NY you are from. I know many of the community colleges around the NYC area will allow high school students as young as 15 to take one or two classes at a time to build their college transcript.

The worst case is that your son would have to take the GED test. This does not negate all the work he has done. In fact it will confirm his success when he scores well on this test.

I wish your son well on his journey.
    Pashta likes this.
    Kathi Homeschooling Mama to Twelve year old Dakota

kimiyo is offline Junior Member Newbie

Hi Kathi,

Thank you so much for your reply. They don't have problem taking my son if he'd take GED. I got a little upset because they said they can take his transcript if he is certified by the state he is graduated from which can get a little more complicated because we didn't go through the right procedure. But I know high school score doesn't matter for going community college and he is not that interested in study anyway. So I should take a deep breath and let him take GED. I will check some other colleges near by but I will let him make his decision. It is always hard for first child because everything he does is new for parents. Another fact is my son is already 19 so I don't need to feel I need to fix everything. It's his life

fairylover is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

That's right. He needs to take some responsibility in this too. The GED is really not that big of a deal. I have a GED myself. It didn't stop me from making the Dean's List in college.
    Pashta likes this.
    Kathi Homeschooling Mama to Twelve year old Dakota