Inferiority complex due to home schooling..?
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By fairylover
  • 2 Post By fairylover

Thread: Inferiority complex due to home schooling..?

Blestec Studios is offline Junior Member Newbie

Question Inferiority complex due to home schooling..?

As I am considering home schooling as an option for my children, one thought is coming to my mind.

What happens when my children talk to other children (most of them who go to school) and hear their stories about school? Will they feel inferior in some way? Will they feel that they are lacking something which everybody else has? Will they develop an inferiority complex?

Or will they feel proud of themselves for knowing many extra things which they learn through home schooling?

fairylover is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

I can only speak to my experience. But most of my son's friends are envious of the fact that he does not go to school. They are jealous of the fact that he gets to sleep ate, go on exciting field trips, play video games while they are sitting in school. And the fact is that he does know things that they do not know. He can spend all day focused on something he is excited about and not have to move on to the next subject because the schedule says he has to.

Yes, there will be bullies who will try to put children down because they homeschool. But those same bullies would also pick on them if they were in school. In my experience homeschooled kids are full of confidence and self esteem.
    angeleyes1307 likes this.
    Kathi Homeschooling Mama to Twelve year old Dakota

Linda Colleran is offline Junior Member Newbie

Greetings,
    After school programs and your homeschool community will really help your child feel he has a support system with kids that are schooled like him. There are many homeschool groups and they have fun educational field trips. My son has mild special needs and it is so important he has after school programs to be with peers during the week. The library has free programs for there age group as well. Once you start getting into a homeschool community all your fears will leave- Linda Colleran

fairylover is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

In over six years of homeschooling I have yet to see bullying in the homeschool community except for a few cases of kids who had just left the public school system. In my opinion homeschooled kids are just more compassionate. I remember one homeschool park day. One of the boys in our group was autistic. He also had apraxia, (could not speak). A group of kids gathered around him and were teasing him, calling him names, and things like that. Our homeschooled kids pushed past these kids and surrounded him. My son stood right in front of him and said, "He's my friend. He can't talk but he's my friend. Leave him alone." The schooled kids quickly left and the homeschooled kids stayed close to Brandon the rest of the day.
    vinnys_mom and angeleyes1307 like this.
    Kathi Homeschooling Mama to Twelve year old Dakota

vinnys_mom is offline Junior Member

Hi,
    I was worried about this with our son as well (he's almost 11). What I found was that there are a lot of kids who are homeschooled and I just didn't realize it. There is a family down the street from us whose kids are friends with our son. One of our friends has homeschooled all of her children. We went to a graduation party at their house where our son realized that pretty much every kid there was homeschooled.
    There are also Homeschool Co-ops where your kids can interact with other homeschoolers. Once plugged into the HS community, they won't feel so "different."
    Unfortunately we don't have a co-op to take part in as both of us work, so we make sure that he has other activities with homeschoolers. The youth group he is starting in the fall is about 75% homeschooled!

Ruth_Lanton is offline Member

All the homeschooled kids I've met have been very confident- at least the ones who have been homeschooled for a time. Kids who are naturally shy usually withdraw a lot when pushed into social settings they're not ready for (such as school.) These same kids blossom (often very slowly) when allowed to do so.

There's much more adult interaction with homeschool than in schools. You'll have a bunch of parents sitting and chatting with one another, the little kids playing nearby, the babies and toddlers nursing, the bigger kids running off and pretty much interacting without adult input (getting all the good parts of peer socialization) but if anything starts to go wrong, the parents are THERE to step in, long before anything turns into "bullying." Any big kid who doesn't want to join the other kids is more than welcome to join in with the adults' conversation (these same kids may end up being bullying targets in a school setting if there isn't any "out" at recess time.")

And families can go to as many or as few homeschool meetups as works for their kids. I know that Hannah was overwhelmed in elementary school, seeing peers daily and not getting enough "down time" but she was social and happy when we met with other kids once a week or so.

It's just an overall healthier environment in which to learn about the world and how to interact with others.
    Ruth, single mom to Jack, 13, Hannah, 19, and Leah, 20.