Jewish Homeschooling Families?
    Ruth_Lanton is offline Member

Default Jewish Homeschooling Families?

I see there's a whole forum for Christian homeschoolers, and I'm wondering if there are any other Jewish homeschooling families on this board?

I like that I'm able to set my own schedule, and take off for the Jewish holidays without worrying about "falling behind" the rest of the class. We can take off the whole week before Jack's Bar Mitzvah and focus on Bar Mitzvah prep and not get distracted with studying for tests or getting a book report finished. And we can get work done at other times, even if it's a holiday for somebody else.

I'm not sure how much work we'll do next week with Rosh Hashanah starting on Wednesday night. I was planning on taking the whole week off from secular academics, but then Jack was sick yesterday and didn't get any schoolwork done, so we may do schoolwork early next week to make it up.
    Ruth, single mom to Jack, 13, Hannah, 19, and Leah, 20.

monnalu is offline Member

I wish there were a forum for those who are not "Christian." We are more naturalists, but follow a Christian ethic, but are definately not Fundamentalist which is what Christian seems to mean. Why is there not a forum for Wicca home schoolers, or secular home schoolers? That would be a good thing.

MamaToHerRoo is offline Senior Member

The Secular Homeschool Community is a site where secular homeschoolers are the majority. Most of the T4L forums are considered secular. Hope this helps!
    Linda
    Homeschooling one for 8 years and counting!

HennyK is offline Junior Member Newbie

I'm sorry about Jack not feeling well. Would you cram over Chol Hamoed?

I was planning to take off for Chol Hamoed altogether. I was also planning to take this week off, but now I have a list of 4 TFL assignments I want him to do today, plus he still has half an audiobook that I'd like him to finish before Yom Tov. It's due back at the library on Tuesday and I just think it will be nicer if he can finish the story more quickly.

I'll hold off on starting the writing assignments until next week.

I'm getting increasingly frustrated with Jack lately. With the Bar Mitzvah fast approaching, he's spending more time studying with the rabbi, and needs to spend more time practicing each day.

Plus, early on he'd decided he prefers to only "do school" on days Hannah had classes. But he's been sleeping later, so he has less time while she's in school, and then she's been coming home more often (not staying at school every Tuesday when she has a big gap between her classes) and then my Mom scheduled a bunch of party-planning errands on a day that Hannah was away. He can't very well stay home doing school if Bubbie is dragging us out to meet with photographers and caterers!

We have been constantly arguing over everything lately- getting up on time, doing household chores, practicing his Bar Mitzvah portion, doing his schoolwork, doing the SINGLE writing assignment I've assigned him so far this year!

He sits down at the computer, and instead of doing work when he should, I find him playing Roblox! It's not like I can take his computer away from him when he needs it for schoolwork. Nor can I take away his iPod when he needs that for Bar Mitzvah practice.

Strouse House is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

Can you block items on his computer? So that he is not able to use his favorite sites unless you unlock them? Just a thought.
    Brandy - Christian (86), Wife (93), and Mother (boy 99, girl 07,boy 08). Homeschooling since 2003. Come check out our adventures in life and Time4Learning.com at Five in Training For Him.

fairylover is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

This is an emotional, life changing time for him. He is learning a lot from the Rabbi. He definitely has a lot going on in his life. He may need the time with roblox just to unwind from all the pressure. This may be a time to let up on school work for a time. Call it a unit study on Religious Studies if you need to document your hours. The Bar Mitzvah will be over soon and life can get back to normal. Mazel Tov to your soon to be adult son.
    Kathi Homeschooling Mama to Twelve year old Dakota

He's a lot more tech savvy than I am, so there won't be any "locking things on his computer until his work is done." Nor do I really want to parent a teen by "overpowering him." I want to inspire him so he's self-motivated.

We ended up skipping 2 weeks of secular education before the Bar Mitzvah, even though I'd only planned on taking off one. Then he barely did any work last week- so he has to do double this week. It's that or re-calculate the entire schedule and give him more to do every week from now on. The curriculum needs to be finished before the end of the school year, and he hasn't been keeping up with the assignments I've worked out so far.

I'm not too worried. He'll get it done.

Our whole lives are in chaos right now. My ex husband is dying of cancer and is in a hospice facility a 40-60 minute drive away (or longer, depending on traffic.) Every spare day, when we have the energy to "go out and do something" we're visiting him. We're all showing signs of stress and depression. Hannah isn't likely to pass all her classes this semester, and has already decided not to take classes next semester. Leah's home from Israel with no plans to return. She's planning to go to school next semester, plus she's applied for several jobs, but hasn't gotten hired anywhere yet.

In short, the neat little schedule we worked out in October isn't happening. Jack can't just do school on the days Hannah's not home, because she's home more, and even when she is at school, Leah's here. It's hard for me to keep the kids on a regular routine when all this stress is messing up my sleep cycle too.