K wording on Lesson Quizzes
    Irondale is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default K wording on Lesson Quizzes

I dont know if its just my boy, but he is having a really hard time with the word Fewer. Like for instance, "Find the box below that has FEWER daisys than the group above" I would think at that age the word lesser would be used. JMO
    Dont they learn "more and less" at that stage? I also think the wording itself on many of the lessons is confusing for them at that age. Again, JMO...what do u all think? Im speaking of K only...as they get older, they can grasp it, but at K, I think its a bit rambly

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Hi. Time4Learning's curriculum is based on national and state standards. One of the math standards for the kindergarten level is "Compare two groups of ten or fewer objects as having more, fewer, or the same number of objects".

If your son is already familiar with the term "less" and is now adding the word "fewer" to his math vocabulary, he's doing great!

A fun thing to do is incorporate the new word into your daily conversation. "Hey, Johnny, which cereal bowl contains fewer Cheerios?"

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

Irondale is offline Junior Member Newbie

LOL...
    Ok, Ill try to work on incorporating that word. He gets really frustrated with the wording on the quizzes but I assume they still need adult help even tho its being read to them right?

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

At this age, especially, there are huge variations in children's abilities. Some will be able to work independently. Many will need the parent nearby to answer questions.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!