Kids have the Public School Blues
    Dearheart is offline Junior Member

Default Kids have the Public School Blues

Hello everyone, I pulled my two kids from public school around October, and have been homeschooling them since. Everything is going fine, we are finally adjusted and everything seems to be going smoothly. We can even see improvements that I don't think I'd be seeing with the normal school system by this time.

That being said, both my kids do miss public school. My son has a severe form of Autism but was participating 80% of the time in a normal 4th grade class. He has never been able to make any friends (and both last year and this year it was starting to REALLY bother him). What he misses is all his teachers and aids that would come see him (they were all really nice people, he always tended to luck out with having just great teachers that really do care).

My daughter was in the 3rd grade herself. This year was her first year attending a school where basically all of her classmates speak english. The school system in this area is heavily populated with Burmese, and her previous elementary schools she was basically the only non-Burmese kid (same with her brother), and also about the only kid able to fluently speak english enough to get by. That being said, it wasn't until this year that she was finally able to make some real friends, because previously there was the language barrier and they couldn't talk to each other very well. So, my daughter both misses her friends she DID make, as well as her teachers (from this year and past).

They go through streaks with the PS Blues, last one was last week and they both ended up crying. It breaks my heart to see it, but of course we are not about to send them back to public school for various reasons. Is there anything we could do to help them with these blues, or will it just take a bit of time? My son mainly just misses his teachers, where my daughter misses friends and teachers. There is a way for my kids to continue interacting with their friends from school online (a thing called My Big Campus.. even though they are homeschooled the school allowed them to stay functioning on it. Kind of like a kid-school centered facebook/myspace) plus my daughter does call and play online with her friends.

Just me and my husband are worried. We see them sad like this, and hope we can help them get over this hurdle a little better. Is there anything we could do? Unfortunately at this time we are unable to get them involved in any activities outside of the home to interact with other kids. Is there anything we could do in the meantime? Thank you.

Mandy in TN is offline Senior Member

Dearheart-
    The only suggestion I have for moving on is bonding with the local homeschool community. Without leaving the house, that may prove difficult.
    Sorry
    Mandy
    ds Doodlebug 11yo
    currently homeschooling with an eclectic mess of stuff

homeschool graduates:
    ds Cashew 20yo
    ds Peanut 22yo

fairylover is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

If you are homebound the only real advice I can think of would be to invite members of your local homeschool group to come to your home for a playdate. If your children have special interests such as legos or things like that, have a lego playdate. Whatever thing you can offer to bring people in. My son is the only child in our neighborhood who does not go to school. He often gets bored being home with just me all day. He likes to skype with his friends. They are on a computer program called Mindcraft. One of the kids has a server so they all go on his server and play Mindcraft. Several of them Skype at the same time. This gives my son interaction with other kids and I don't have to leave the house because of it.
    Kathi Homeschooling Mama to Twelve year old Dakota

Dearheart is offline Junior Member

We, too, have minecraft (two accounts actually because we have two computers). They also like to play Club Penguin, Wizards 101 and Pirates 101 with their friends. With my son it is hard to get him to interact with other kids, or vice versa. Plus I am the only one who can drive (father is legally blind), and I am gone 5 days a week and my days off are mondays and tuesdays, but soon it will be switching to sunday, monday and tuesdays. Between doctors appointments (my husband of late, my son, etc) it is hard to try and figure something outside of the home to do. Tomorrow we will do the library, but for now that is about all I can do.

fairylover is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

So they are getting some interaction. Do they Skype?
    Kathi Homeschooling Mama to Twelve year old Dakota