Kindlefire Hd/Nexus 7 for homeschooling..........
    brill is offline Member

Default Kindlefire Hd/Nexus 7 for homeschooling..........

Hi all,

I am a homeschooling mom of two kids outside US.

I am planning to buy any 3g/4g(preferrably) tablet for homeschooling my kiddos ,on which kids can open pdf and word document files,read e

books of kindle

account,can access to flash based videos,youtube educational videos

and Time4learning online video tutorials,wordlywise online version along with skype,e-mail and facebook access.

I also travel a lot, it would be very convenient for hsing my kids. I also want to read aloud. and I think tablet would be my only option.

I hope someone can help me out. I was also thinking of a ipad but its expensive and what do you think buying a kindlefire hd tablet would be

beneficial to me as

it is not available for buying at my country of residence.

If anyone has kindlefire hd 8.9" or Google Nexus 7 ,kindly tell me so if I hav to ask any specific queries regarding devices,could contact further.

Thanks for your time and efforts.

fairylover is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

Hi Brill. I'm afraid I don't know much about any of these devices so I'm not going to be of much help. I would suggest that you contact our technical support department and ask them. Hopefully someone with more experience with these devices will chime in here.
    Kathi Homeschooling Mama to Twelve year old Dakota

rwaaslance is offline Junior Member

Brill,

We just bought a Kindle Fire HD with the most memory we could afford... but only the 7" screen. We're still getting used to it, but so far it's been great. We are going to be traveling very soon and I knew it would come in handy to have the Kindle. Two things I've found already:

Consider it another computer; you have to put the same safety features on it that you would your regular computer.
    It's a gaming console as well; I find my son playing games instead of reading his books : )

I love that I can use my local library system (with OverDrive) to borrow Kindle books. I'm also an Amazon PRIME member so I can borrow from their library (one title a month) as well. The downside is that I'm finding VERY few instructional apps or learning systems. Kindle is owned by Amazon and they don't allow you to use anything from the Apple App Store. Unless you "jailbreak" the device, you'll only be able to buy from the Kindle store at Amazon. Also, be aware that you can buy and download apps from the Amazon store that are for an earlier version of the Kindle and they won't work. Be sure to search for apps using "Kindle Fire HD" in the search toolbar.

If you find any great ones, let me know. I'm looking for them too!
    Robin

Blog Entries

Thanks Robin. It's good to hear from someone who has some experience with a Kindle Fire. I have a Kindle Touch but I only use it to read books and to store my recipes.

Pashta is offline Junior Member

Hi Brill,

I got my 7 and 6 year old a Kindle Fire HD for Christmas to share. I am also an Amazon Prime member and I added on the "Free Time Unlimited" subscription service. It allows the kids to have full access to a large library of books, videos and apps all for their particular age. The regular Free Time on the Kindle Fire HD is free but it's just for the parental controls. Either way, it's been great for us. Amazon has one free app every day and that's a pretty big plus.

I haven't signed up for this program yet so I don't know if the lessons work on it, sorry.

Blog Entries

I am on a couple of email lists that give me free or nearly free downloads every day for my kindle.
    Ereader News Today
    Pixel of Ink

You might want to check these out.