Lesson Planning

Thread: Lesson Planning

noodlebugs2 is offline Junior Member

Default Lesson Planning

Does anyone have any great lesson planning software that they love?

This is how I'm currently doing it, in longhand, and I would like to be able to organize it better online. This is done for two students.

Weekly overview, by subject.
    Ex. Math: Chapter: Time Lessons 1-5 and Chapter test
    Lang Arts: Sequencing
    Science: living and non-living things,amphibians,slimy swamp animals
    Handwriting: Handwriting without tears pages 50-55
    Other:

And then, I also write out a daily lesson plan for each student, breaking down what needs to be done that day.

Ex. Math Time,Calender,Keeping Track of Time : Resource page (highlighted)

Etc...the Daily planner is very detailed (trying to make it kid-proof). In addition, I do two sessions a day, so I do the core subjects twice a day.

I'm spending a lot of time on this, with the goal of not only having a record, but also to provide my son's with the opportunity to work independantly and be self-motivated, instead of goofing off and then them telling me "I didn't know what I was supposed to be doing".

I have been giving them their daily schedule with the resource pages and any other worksheets stapled together by session. I don't know how I can make it any more simple for the kids, but it's so much work for me! Especially when I can only do daily plans a day or two ahead in case for some reason we skip our afternoon session or the computer goes down or soemthing. I then have to re-write everything out to shuffle it over.

I have been googling around all morning and I can't seem to find a planner that is flexible enough. They seem to be divided out in hourly increments--I don't care how long the lessons take them, I just need them to complete a certain set in a day.

Just thought I'd see how other people are doing it!

DWest is offline Junior Member Newbie

Hello, My name is Debra, I am currently using Home School, Inc. It is working out great and it is free. They have some books you can buy, but you don't have to. You can set up your time and lessons and quizzes, grade lessons... And you can add as many students as needed. So far it has been working great for me. Has sved me lots of time and keeps me and my kids organized. Go to hhtp://www.home-school-inc.com/

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

I tend to be somewhat of a "techie", but all I do for planning is print out the lesson plans and then scribble on them in pencil. I print the worksheets ahead of time and keep them in a binder. My kids know to look for one when they see "Resource" under one of their lesson icons.

I say, "In Time4Learning, Do at least two math learning activities, at least three language arts learning activities, and one each of science and social studies. Read for half an hour. Write in your journal. Do your weekly subject. (Monday is Bible, Tuesday is music, Wednesday is penmanship, Thursday is Spanish and Friday is art.) Then watch the Brainpop or Cosmeo video I've chosen for you."

We don't count Time4Learning quizzes and tests as lesson activities. When a quiz or test follows a learning activity, we take it immediately so we don't forget.

If I keep it simple, it actually gets done. It's pretty much the same every day, except for one weekly subject, so my kids can work fairly independently (although I usually sit with them for math).

Some people like http://www.homeschooltracker.com/ and the basic version is free.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

noodlebugs2 is offline Junior Member

i found homeschool inc today, I started to use that one, but I got frustrated with setting it up. I quit when I couldn't get around having to schedule out the day by hourly increments. This one seemed a little too structured--unless that's just the initial setting up.

I used homeschool tracker a year or so ago. I wanted to try it again, but for some reason I couldn't get the download to work this time.

Maybe I"ll just try again tomorrow.

adelenpaul is offline Member Regular

We organize similarly to Kelly. Dd knows to do 2-3 math activities and one social studies section a day. Then I simply write out her daily details in a steno book. This takes me just a few minutes a day and gives her boxes to check off. I used to have a Word document that had a full week printed on one page and then I penciled in the details. I mean, so much stays the same: reading, math, grammar, science, Bible, etc. The only thing that actually changes is the specific page numbers or activities.

I also have the year sketched out so I know that Jan 3 we supposed to start 1840-1860 in US history and Rifles for Watie in Language arts. That way I know about where we should be and can easily adjust during the week and/or weekend. Dd is 5th grade so occasionally having some work to do over the weekend isn't unreasonable.

This is our 8th year of homeschooling and this has allowed me enough flexibility and structure. We're basically on schedule in history for the first time ever (yeah T4L!) but it is completely manageable for me. I want my planning tools to be just that: tools that assist me and don't enslave me to managing them.

I would encourage you to keep searching until you find something works for you. I generally spend a big chunk of time over the summer planning, rearranging, thinking, changing but then during the school year I don't spend all that much time managing and maintaining it. I just don't have time plus it's not my favorite thing to do.

Blessings as you research,
    Adele

DWest is offline Junior Member Newbie

Hey noodlebugs2, I guess it would be frustrating if you are trying to put in time increments. Your best bet would be to put these in when editing his lessons. I do not do time limits on subjects. I let my son take as much time as he needs on a subject, as long as he finishes the lessons I planned out for him. This way he doesn't get stuck in the middle of a lesson when time is up, or have too much "extra" time to get off course. Sometimes this is not such a great thing, but since we don't have a lot of activities outside the home it works for us. As long as he finishes his work for the day I don't worry. And this allows us extra time for helping him with difficult concepts. I probably should be more structured, but the truth of the matter is that I don't like the fuss when something doesn't get done on time. My son is ADHD and doesn't do well with time schedules.