Looking for Math advice
    Jan-Lyn is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default Looking for Math advice

Hi,

I am going to start my daughter, grade 6, on Monday. We will be using the LA and Math subjects. She has really completed her LA book for the year, and I am mostly concerned about her math skills.

Looking for any advice from hs moms here. Jenna-Kim has always been a good student with the exception of math, and I do not think it is necessarily her fault. I find that what I teach her through the week and she seems to understand and is successful at practicing, she looses by the following Monday. I reteach and she "gets" it again. So, lots of repetition is necessary.

We have used Math U See for 2 years now. I thought it best so that she could "see" the concepts, work on one at a time and is not pages on end of work. She hated it. I bought her a cheap workbook...an Modern Curriculum Press, which she liked better, but I hated.....as it packed WAY too many problems and small type for her on one single page. We were getting no where.

I looked for a good starting place for her. We are on long division now. I could just start up there. I also was thinking, I hate to make her do MORE work, but how bad would it be to have her start at the beginning, gain review, and be SUCCESSFUL. She does not feel successful. OR......should we just skip around a bit and do a handful of lessons for review and then find our place.

I am obviously fumbling around with my words here, but I think you seasoned mom's know what I mean. I am most concerned that she experiences some success at this point, keeps the frustration level down and gets the basics very well, before moving on to grade 7 next year.

My husband feels it would take too many lessons per day for her to start at the beginning, being we lost a full year. I was wondering how possible it would be to give one lesson for homework each evening, as we were doing that. (It gave some measure of recall for the next day.) I sappose we could work in the summer too, but my children tend to feel angry and resentful if I give them review or work. My son being in public school, I like to keep them on a similar schedule and would not want to single this daughter out, especially when the youngest does not need extra help at all.

Sorry so long! Any thoughts here? I look forward to hearing some ideas and thank you so much ahead of time. I am thrilled to have this forum!

Jan

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

I am most concerned that she experiences some success at this point, keeps the frustration level down and gets the basics very well,

My usual advice is to start the student a bit lower than what you think she is capable of. (This is advice based on experience with my own children. Time4Learning does not have recommendations, other than to use the curriculum in the way that best suits your child.) Because of your concern, stated above, I would especially recommend that you not push her too hard in the beginning. It takes some time to become accustomed to a new curriculum, and there is a learning curve for the parent also.

Time4Learning introduces division in third grade, but goes into a bit more detail (still very basic) in fourth grade. Have you seen the Lesson Plans?

I tutor my nephew, who is in ninth grade, and I started him in fourth grade math, so your daughter isn't alone.

If your daughter started with fourth grade math during her sixth grade year and completed one math level each year, she would be finished with Time4Learning's basic math at the end of eleventh grade. For twelfth grade, she could do Time4Learning's algebra. Not bad for a student who struggles with math!

To do that, she would need to do a little more than two lesson activities in math a day for the remainder of this school year, and approximately two math lesson activities per day during the following years.

There are unlimited possibilities here. I've given you one suggestions and hopefully others will pop in with more ideas.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

Jan-Lyn is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default Thanks for Math Advice

Hi Kelly,

I never even really considered starting her a year or so back. Interesting idea. Perhaps I will start at the beginning of grade 6, see how it goes, and keep in mind that I can do just that. I never really thought about how it could be made up eventually.

My daughter really responds to working on the computor, so I am hoping this will be good for her and I am excited that there are some printable sheets for reinforcement of concepts learned. That is very important for her.

Pleased to "meet" you and congratulations on 11 years of homeschooling. That is wonderful.

Jan

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Jan, let us know how it goes.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!