a lot of questions
    evey is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default a lot of questions

Hi- I have a couple questions on my mind. Can anybody answer them? I saw the suggestion for pencil pete for handwriting and that has worked well for my 4 yr old! I would like to do more basic art stuff. Geeart looks nice, but we need younger stuff. I am trying to teach my son how to make basic pictures- of mommy, daddy, a house, etc. Also, I am hoping my son will color inside the lines soon, and not just scribble. I know scribbling is good, but I would like to encourage the next step. Anyone know of simple drawing software or website- he loves the computer?

Also, can anyone offer any encouragement? Some of my friends are homeschooling too, and they are using really hands on stuff. I feel insecure my son might be being robbed being so much on the computer. Like, I am not putting in enough effort. Some people see the computer similar to the tv, just rotting the brain. So, when I say I am homeschooling him this way, I feel a little nervous about it.

On the other hand, my son is not that interested in worksheets, and I am nervous that I'm training him never to like them by learning so much on the computer.

One last question, have any of your kids actually learned to read using t4l. My son knows his phonics, but can't seem to make the leap to sounding out words. I am reading to him, but I am hoping he will have an aha! moment and get it.

As you see, I have a lot of thoughts and questions. Any thoughts guys?

Thanks in advance, Evey

rsmallen is offline Junior Member Newbie

Evey, 4 is young...but not unheard of...to be already decoding words on a regular basis. And it's not necessarily something they move into unguided.

I don't know what the level is you are working on...but I just took a look at the 2nd grade reading yesterday and had some insight into the 1st grade reading in the LArts modules in T4L.....and they very successfully demonstrate blending the sounds to decode the word. It's quite subtle, but quite effective. You might want to investigate at what level in Language Arts the reading program begins and whether or not your son is ready to move up to it.

One of the things I am most impressed with is the Reading Pyramid that is at the foundation of the reading sections...it's based on the latest research into what makes a good reader. Although my grandson was quite successful in school in 2nd grade and is a "decent" reader (average) I was not at all pleased with his fluency. I was working on third grade LA with him in T4L this summer. I went in and looked at the 2nd grade level and decided to stop 3rd grade and take a jump back to 2nd. There are fluency lessons that are unbelieveably good. The read to me aspect is great! Within one lesson he was mimicking what he heard instead of reading haltingly like a robot and was improving his speed as well as his inflection. Additionally, writing is his weakest spot...and there is a nice writing component in those grades' LA modules.

Robin

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Hi, Evey.

Uncle Fred was my 5-year-old's favorite drawing program (and it's free)! There are only twelve lessons, so I limited her to one per week to make it last. I had her do the drawing, step-by-step, but NOT click on the link to "see how Uncle Fred colored his" until she had colored her own. Then, she enjoyed comparing the colors she had chosen with Uncle Fred's choices. Sometimes, she decided to draw a second one to color just like Uncle Fred's.

We mounted her finished drawings on construction paper and displayed them for Daddy. When she had done all twelve, we gathered them together, punched holes in them, and bound them with yarn. They made a neat book!

Later in the school year, she went through the program again. It was amazing to see how much "better" her drawing was the second time around!

I like to use programs like this, but I guide my children's usage. Otherwise, Faith (my daughter) would have blasted through all twelve lessons in one day and not really concentrated on doing "her best" on any one of them.

There are also some drawing lessons at Billy Bear.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

evey is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default thanks for all the feedback

Hi- I appreciate all the feedback! I went to Uncle Fred's site, and my son was able to make a drawing close to what they had on screen. I was really amazed. Then I had him color in a picture and he pretty much stayed in the lines- wow! It was great to see how quickly he reached that milestone. Now, we just have to keep with it. Thanks, Evey

Sonja Philip is offline Junior Member Newbie

thanks kelly!!

I bookmarked that for this fall - the boys love to make comic books, this will help them with their illustrations so much
    sonja

"Train a child in the way he should go, and when he is old he will not turn from it."

wtygart is offline Junior Member Newbie

We just recently had a researcher come to our school district and research the way we are teaching our kids and if we are using succesful methods in our schools. Good and Bad news. We AREN'T teachign the way we should, because kids today ARE so Auditory and Visual in their learning and the old "teach out of textbooks" isn't the way kids learn today.

The good news is that we KNOW this and can continue to change as a district. As far as home schooling, I remember as a kid I was lucky to get one filk a week in any of my classes and it wasn't very interesting. As uninteresting as it was, it was much better then a textbook.

Nowadays kids watch TV yes but with the History Channel, Discovery, PBS, I mean there are some fantastic shows that TEACH yet the kids think they are watching a movie! State standardized testing is becoming more and more of a barometer to childrens success in schools (even though I disagree but thats another subject) and when your chold learns how to constantly TEST ona computer the way this is set up I can see major success down the road.

I use T4L for my High Acheiver (reads college level at 6th grade and does Algebra) , my "normal" child ,a nd my child that needs remediation and they learn more in a shortened day then a school setting or even me teaching at home out of a textbook could do.

You do need various tools of course, T4L isn't a stand alone but then again neiother is a public school, you must always suppliment and offer variety. I have found www.cosmeo.com and www.number2.com has worked well in conjunction with T4L (though my kids are older) but I would never feel ashamed for having your child work on a peice of machinery people were having to go to school for just 10-15 years ago so they could compete for a decent job.

O.K. off my soap box, onto bed for me!