Multiple Grades, One Student
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By MamaToHerRoo

Thread: Multiple Grades, One Student

MamaToHerRoo is offline Senior Member

Default Multiple Grades, One Student

My daughter is in 3 different grades. How did this happen? Well, she drags her feet miserably on some subjects, on some subjects she is exactly on grade level, and in other subjects she is zooming ahead. As you can imagine, keeping up with which course is for what grade, and where to record it is getting a bit confused. On top of that she is skipping a grade of math, and a grade of social studies. Anyone have any ideas on how to keep the record keeping from becoming a tangled mess? Thanks in advance!
    Mandy in TN likes this.
    Linda
    Homeschooling one for 8 years and counting!

fairylover is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

My son is the same way. He is in three different grade levels. I print out the lesson plans for each subject when he starts that subject. Each day as he does his work I write his score on the lesson plan. When he completes a subject I print the report for just that subject. I put this report in a notebook along with the lesson plans that I have been using. This notebook is divided into grade levels even though he is working on different levels at any one time. Then I print the lesson plan for the next grade level and we move on. He may complete math in January and move on to the next level. Or he may complete language arts in June. Whenever he completes that subject we move on to the next grade level in that subject.

I hope I explained this so it can be understood. Hopefully others will chime in to let us know what they do.
    Kathi Homeschooling Mama to Twelve year old Dakota

Mandy in TN is offline Senior Member

I usually just keep everything in an excel spreadsheet. With T4L information, you can view the info as a PDF file and then copy and paste the portions that you want to keep for your records into the excel spreadsheet. Then, you can add whatever additional grades or information you want to include. You would have separate sheets for each subject, so it doesn't matter if different subjects are at different levels. You could start a new workbook each year. If a subject isn't finished just cut and paste that subject into the next year.

On the child's transcript, record the credit during whatever year the subject is completed. High school credits completed prior to high school are usually recorded simply as pass credits- meaning that grades earned in those classes are not averaged into the student's high school GPA. For example, if a child took Alg1 in junior high in a state that required Alg1 for high school graduation, then the child's transcript might have a section for credits earned prior to high school where Alg1 will be listed with a P (pass) listed for the grade. Some states, umbrella schools, etc. have guidelines for these things where they don't let any or only a few specific credits earned in jr high be recorded on high school transcripts. Also, some colleges only want to see credits earned in the previous 4 years, so you should check with any group/ institution you report to or send a transcript to and ask them what they want to see. However, I don't suppose any of this matters as far simply recording the information in order to have it just in case.

HTH-
    Mandy
    ds Doodlebug 11yo
    currently homeschooling with an eclectic mess of stuff

homeschool graduates:
    ds Cashew 20yo
    ds Peanut 22yo

fairylover is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

Great ideas Mandy.
    Kathi Homeschooling Mama to Twelve year old Dakota