MY SECOND GRADER
    nolamom is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default MY SECOND GRADER

MY SON IS 7YRS OLD AND IS IN THE SECOND GRADE.. HE WAS NOT GETTING A GOOD FOUNDATION @ THE PUBLIC SCHOOL HE WAS IN. HE READS ON A LOW 1ST GRADE LEVEL..I KNOW THAT WRITTING IS REALLY IMPORTANT AND I HAVE BEEN TRYING TO DO FUN ACTIVITIES W/ HIM W/ WRITTING AND IT ALWAYS ENDS UP ME WRITTING WHAT HE WANTS TO SAY AND HIM COPYING IT (IS THAT BAD?), BUT SHOULD I STOP DOING THIS AND GET HIM TO READING BETTER? HE ALSO (W/ HIS READING) WILL READ A WORD AND THE SAME WORD WILL BE IN THE PARAGRAPH SAY 6 TIMES AND EACH TIME HE COMES ACROSS IT, IT'S LIKE A BRAND NEW WORD TO HIM!!!! ANY SUGGESTIONS? DO YOU THINK HE MIGHT HAVE A LEARNING PROBLEM??

NewLifeAcademy is offline Member Regular

Your son probably fall into the category of a late bloomer. He probably learns best by doing rather than listening and likes to pretend and play rather than sit and hear a lecture.

That's okay. My dd was in 2nd grade too when we pulled her from ps. She was 8yo however and struggles with every subject. It was not as much maturity on her part as it was she just learns differently and the ps teachers just do not have the time nor resources to help a child like that and they fall between the cracks. She's quiet and didn't do well in a crowd either.

Does he like to play games that require him to add or spelling or matching games. Find the way he likes to learn and he will learn more.

Don't be afraid to go back to the first grade level of the LA or Math in T4L. I do not regret going back and finding the holes in my daughter's understanding of phonics and mathematical progressions.

I sometimes notice that my daughter is stalled in her progression (like right now in math) so we are backing up and reviewing for the next two weeks rather than torturing her with new material that just won't stick.

Kim
    Kim is offline Junior Member Newbie

My son is 8, has Aspergers and ADD. He is a very visual learner. He was also having trouble with reading. Do a search on the internet for the dolch words using pictures. It is called Picture Me Reading. My son has improved so much since I started using this. Also a web site called sightwordswithsamson.com is a big help. I am a former teacher who homeschools because it is the best for my son.

Lisa333 is offline Member Regular

Hi,

I'm not exactly sure what sort of materials you are looking for but Time4Learnign includes an amazing amount of educational materials. For instance, you seem to be asking about materials to teach the sight (dolch) words.

In looking at Time4Learning's scope & sequence, I see that are dozens of lessons in 1st grade and more in 2nd grade that teach these words.

You can look these up under High Frequency Words as a user or through the scope and sequence. If you use the scope and sequence, you can directly plug the lesson numbers inot the activity finder.

High Frequency Words -- Activity Number
    and -- LA 003
    blue -- LA028
    can -- LA007
    in -- LA003
    make -- LA045
    said -- LA019
    then -- LA201

Does this provide the materials that your child needs?

thestrobels is offline Junior Member Newbie

My daughter is also in 2nd grade and has trouble with reading and writing. We struggled with it for a long time, knowing there was something wrong but not being able to find anyone to diagnose her. Maybe doctors avoid diagnosing because it gives a child a label?

We're happy to finally have a label! She has Asperger's Syndrome and it just simply explains a lot! Unfortunately, there are many learning disabilities that come with it. But now we're able to see the issues for what they are (dyslexia, SPD, OCD, etc.) and help her to become a successful student.

Consider asking your pediatrician for help. We knew our dd had ADHD long before her doc would write it in her chart (even though he knew it, too...but dd was only 3). We finally saw a psychologist who recommended psychological testing. Many school districts have Child Find programs for homeschooled kids to get services such as speech and other therapies through the district. Saves a lot of money.

If your son has trouble with reading, writing and spelling, etc., don't wait. I wish someone had helped us when we STARTED asking for help, rather than waiting several years until we were about to give up! We know that our daughter has trouble with phonics. She probably always will. But now we know WHY and so I teach her whole-words rather than phonics. She also can read a word one minute and then act like she's never seen it before. I can point back to the last sentence where she just read it, she can see the way the word looks the same, and then somehow it just clicks. It's all just pictures to her.

T4L language has been great for her. She loves the reading portions. She'll read through and get a very low score the first time but by the end she's always well over the recommended reading speed. It's a confidence booster and it's great practice. The more she sees those words, the more chance she has of reading it right the next time.

I have decided to wait on the writing. She does enjoy the t4l writing activities but 99% of the words are spelled incorrectly, even when she's just asked me to spell it for her! I let her have fun with it but I have to just hope that her creativity in writing will come with time. She is very literal and it's hard for her make up a story or to put things in her own words. We'll worry about that some other year!

Keep teaching your son. Encourage his strengths.

Ann