Need info on how to get started.
    Niasdaddy is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default Need info on how to get started.

Hello, My name is Ryan and im new to these forums. My daughter is 6 and she has some special needs (On the spectrum for autism, and a language processing dissorder.) She is currently at a school which is not working out at all. We had her there last year and the staff they had worked wonders, She was learning and was progressing so well and we were quite pleased. As of this year, all new staff, She has degressed so much it has become very stressful for us. The school is very pricey and we and a group of other parents feel we are paying almost a thousand dollars a month for a daycare rather then a school. So me and my wife have both decided that we want to pull her out and try the home schooling route until we can find something that will fit her needs. I just need a little guidence as to how i go about doing this process. So if anyone here could help us, we would really appreciate it. Thank you in advance.
    Ryan

Mandy in TN is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Niasdaddy View Post
    Hello, My name is Ryan and im new to these forums. My daughter is 6 and she has some special needs (On the spectrum for autism, and a language processing dissorder.) She is currently at a school which is not working out at all. We had her there last year and the staff they had worked wonders, She was learning and was progressing so well and we were quite pleased. As of this year, all new staff, She has degressed so much it has become very stressful for us. The school is very pricey and we and a group of other parents feel we are paying almost a thousand dollars a month for a daycare rather then a school. So me and my wife have both decided that we want to pull her out and try the home schooling route until we can find something that will fit her needs. I just need a little guidence as to how i go about doing this process. So if anyone here could help us, we would really appreciate it. Thank you in advance.
    Ryan
    Hey, Ryan-
    I am not in FL, so I am not knowledgeable regarding homeschool law in FL. You may want to ask questions over on the FL forum about things specific to FL regarding where, what, and to whom you need to file. There may be state aid for children with autism. I just have no idea.

As far as homeschooling a child with special needs, you may want to look at tutors in your area or check into whatever programs were used with her last year that you liked. It may be that the company offers parent training to help you teach her.

HTH-
    Mandy
    ds Doodlebug 11yo
    currently homeschooling with an eclectic mess of stuff

homeschool graduates:
    ds Cashew 20yo
    ds Peanut 22yo

fairylover is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

Hi Ryan, it is so nice to meet you. Many many people do successfully homeschool children with special needs. My son is probably ADD. I know he is dyslexic. And probably a few other things. But we have been homeschooling since the beginning. For him the thing that works best is to do the work in short time periods and then do something physically active in between. I also find that he does better with hands on learning rather than with hours of sit down learning. You have to learn what works best for your child. As Mandy suggested, take your questions to the Florida Parent Forum. They would be able to help you figure things out as far as your state laws. Unfortunately every state is different. You might also benefit from the Special Needs Forum. Feel free to come back with any questions you might have. Or ask them in the state forum. Best wishes on this journey.
    Kathi Homeschooling Mama to Twelve year old Dakota