New Home School Parent
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: New Home School Parent

mommyandtwoboys is offline Junior Member

Default New Home School Parent

Hello Everyone.

This will be my first year home schooling. My son will be in the 5th grade. I selected this curriculum based on all the reviews I read and thinking since my son LOVES being on the computer, this would be a great combination for him. I am planning to start his school year August 26th. Is there anyway I can print off somethings for him to do over the summer? I was thinking maybe just have him read two of the recommended books and do book reports. Any suggestions/help you can give me will be greatly appreciated!

fairylover is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

Welcome to time4learning and the parent forums. There are some great learning activities at Learning Games For Kids. They are divided by grade level. That might be a good thing for him to work on over the summer. I think it is great to continue to work on reading skills. My son has to do a reading log every day. He reads for 20 minutes. Then he writes a sentence or two about what he read that day. You might also want to look at some of the activities at Spelling and Vocabulary City. You will get a membership there when you sign up for time4learning. But there are many activities you can work on without a membership. It sounds like you guys are already off to a great start. My 11 year old loves his computer as well so I understand what you're talking about. We have used time4learning as our primary curriculum since preK.
    mommyandtwoboys likes this.
    Kathi Homeschooling Mama to Twelve year old Dakota

mommyandtwoboys is offline Junior Member

Thanks Kathi. I am excited and nervous! Funny you mention reading log as I just printed one for him to do over the next few weeks. We went to the book store a month or so ago and he picked out 2 books that he wanted to read so I thought that was a good start for him. Thanks also for the supplemental links. I will be sure to check those out today.

Blog Entries

Often the bookstores will have summer reading programs. You can earn free books by reading. Many libraries also have summer reading programs.

elliotterae is offline Junior Member

How do I find out more about the membership to spelling city with my Time4Learning?

Blog Entries

I think you should be able to log on to Spelling City with your time4learning login information. But let me double check on that for you. I'll get back to you as soon as I get an answer.

Hi, I'm new to homeschooling, and this forum. I have 1st and 3rd grade. Lets see how it goes

Blog Entries

Hi Nbrown. Welcome to the forums. Please let us know if you have any questions or anything we can help with. You might want to log in to the forum for your state as well. Just click on the drop down menu at the top of this page that says State Forums. Then click on your state.

Blog Entries

I am so sorry I forgot to get back to you Ellioterae. I was told that the Spelling City membership was a short term incentive that was offered a few months ago. Depending on when you signed up for t4l you may be entitled to this membership or maybe not. You should check with member services to find out if you have this membership.

Hi, Everyone! We are new to homeschooling also. I am a stay-at-home mom with 2 boys. ages 8 and 5. Chris will be starting the 3rd grade, with Erik in Kindergarten. I am new to Time4Learning, and am excited to start this new journey. My husband is excited as well. This is a great supplement to what we have already taught them. We are always looking for educational opportunities for our children & I have been reading to them since they were infants.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast