Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Heath Academy
  • 1 Post By Mandy in TN
  • 1 Post By fairylover

Thread: New to Home Schooling, from South Africa

Heath Academy is offline Junior Member

Default New to Home Schooling, from South Africa

Hi,
    I thought I would share with you some of the laws about home schooling in South Africa, if anybody is interested
    Home school has been legal in South Africa since 1996. About 15% of pupils are registered with the education department. Im going to copy and paste some things for you to read

Section 51 of the South African Schools Act 84 of 1996 (SASA) provides that parents may register their children (learners) for education at home. Many education officials interpret this to mean that parents need “permission”to educate their children. This is, of course, not so.

The law does not – and in terms of the Constitution and international law, SASA may not – prevent parents from educating their children. This is true whether the children attend schools or not and irrespective of whether they are registered for home education or not.
    No parent can be prosecuted for educating a child at home or anywhere else. A parent may only be prosecutedif the parent fails without just cause, in respect of a child for whose school attendance he or she is responsible, to cause the child to attend school.
    We have to keep :

• record of attendance
    • portfolio of the child's work
    • up-to-date records of the child's progress
    • portfolio of the educational support given to the child
    • evidence of the continuous assessment of the child's work
    • evidence of the assessment and or examinations at the end of each year
    • evidence at the end of Grades 3, 6 and 9, that shows whether your child has achieved the outcomes for these grades.

I decided to use an "over seas" curriculum because I don't think our curriculum is good enough for our children here anymore. Too much focus is put on apartheid and religion.

I enrolled both of my daughters in home school because they were first in public schools there were on average 35 kids per class. They never got the help they needed, or deserved.
    I then put them both in Private School and that never worked out either. The only thing the teachers could do to help your child was put them in detention and every third detention was on a Saturday from 9-12. If they forgot the PE uniform at home they got detention. If they forgot one sentence from their home work, they were put in detention. If I questioned anything, I was given dirty looks by the teachers. I just couldn't deal with it anymore, after 3 years with the private school, I gave up.

If you have any questions, please feel free to post it?

Thank you for "listening".

Hopefully home school works for us

Loretta

SAHomeschooler9 likes this.

Mandy in TN is offline Senior Member

Good luck on your home education journey!
    Mandy
    Heath Academy likes this.
    ds Doodlebug 11yo
    currently homeschooling with an eclectic mess of stuff

homeschool graduates:
    ds Cashew 20yo
    ds Peanut 22yo

fairylover is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

It sounds like your laws are similar to some states in this country. And yes, the school board will always try to tell you that you have to have permission to homeschool. In this country each school gets money from the federal government depending on how many children are enrolled. They don't want to lose those dollars by having parents homeschool their children. So they will try very hard to convince you that you can not do it. It is common here for public school to have 35, 40 or even 50 students in a classroom. This of course means that there are children who never get their needs met. This is one reason many parents choose to homeschool.

Enjoy your homeschool journey with your children. It is a wonderful experience.
    Heath Academy likes this.
    Kathi Homeschooling Mama to Twelve year old Dakota

Heath Academy is offline Junior Member

Thanks so much guys!

Loretta
    Heath Academy
    South Africa

Mom of
    Macetta grade 10
    Piper grade3

fairylover is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

We're all here to support each other.
    Kathi Homeschooling Mama to Twelve year old Dakota

kelltrill is offline Junior Member Newbie

Hi Health Academy
    I'm from Cape Town myself. I'm 26 and am currently trawling the web looking for high school science material so that I can study it for myself. I never did science in high school and I've always regretted it. I want to go back to university to study engineering and naturally I'll have to jack up on science quite a lot.
    I'm checking out T4L at the moment. I'll probably try the lesson demos when I'm home later today.

How are you finding it so far? Are your kids enjoying it and learning at a pace that you're happy with? How do you find the material personally?
    May I ask what private school your kids were with when you moved over to homeschooling as an option?

Sorry for all of the questions! Learning high school level subjects is quite complicated for an adult because the system isn't designed for learners to go back to school. Any input you might have would be great

Hi, Loretta. it was so good to see your post! i have just started with homeschooling of my kids and so many things. i need to learn! would love to know more aboutwhat you do to assess your kids at end of each year?