new to homeschooling
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Robin
  • 1 Post By fairylover

Thread: new to homeschooling

czamommyof2 is offline Junior Member Newbie

Smile new to homeschooling

Hi my name is Nikki I recently pulled my daughter out of public school, I am very nerous about this whole home schooling thing will time 4 learning be the only curriculum that I have to have for my daughter or do I need to purchase another curriculum also. I pulled her out due to asthma complications and the fact whooping cough is going around in our schools here and also my mother died dec 28th whom my daughter shared a room with for 8 yrs up until october, she is having a very hard time adjusting to the fact of her grandmother dying and also due to my husband walking out in may 2011. He is not helping matters he is making things worse on myself and the kids as I also have a son who has lots of behavior and mental health problems but still at this time attends public school, I guess I am scared because my ex has always told me I was never good enough to do anything and once again he has done it by trying to call the school board and threatening me with saying I am neglecting her by taking her out of public schools even though she has lots of friends from competitive cheerleading and neighborhood friends. thanks for all the help.

fairylover is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

Wow, so many things all at once. First let me say that I am so sorry for your loss. I know it will take time for you to deal with this loss as well as the loss your daughter is going through. I shared a room with my grandmother when I was a young teen. I still miss her very much. You are absolutely doing the right thing by taking care of your daughter at this very difficult time. Don't let anyone tell you that you are not. And she is dealing with the loss of her father as well. Men can be like that sometimes. They have to belittle you to make themselves feel better. I hope you have a good support system for yourself right now as well as for your daughter.

As far as time4learning, we have used this program for five years now. We supplement with fun field trips and lots of activities. We just got home from homeschool bowling. Check out classes at a local nature center, science museum, art museum, etc. I'm sure you'll find lots to do. Also make sure you connect with a good homeschooling group.

Check out the North Carolina Parent Forum. They will be able to help you with state laws and things like that. There is also a link on the forum to NC homeschool resources. Good luck on your journey. Homeschooling is a wonderful way to learn.
    Kathi Homeschooling Mama to Twelve year old Dakota

lisayvonne is offline Junior Member

Hi czamommyof2, so sorry for you lost, too.
    We have been using time4learning. It helps a lot. Besides it, we also uses this website beestar. Since there are two worksheets for math, reading and sience separately every week, DD does these worksheets at weenkend to review knowledge she learned. It turns that this learning way effective. Hope it helps.
    Lisa

Robin is offline Senior Member

My kids are a bit older now, but one thing I learned about teaching them with T4L is to stick with it. Especially when having doubts. I've been homeschooling since 1999 and I've used many different curriculums. When I first started, we used some of the big name, boxed curriculum. We spent a TON, and I spent a lot of time preparing and grading. When we tried Time4Learning I was a huge sceptic. It didn't take as much time, there was hardly any prep, it kept records. I needed more to do. Doesn't that sounds nuts? I always thought I needed more. The kids needed more. Whenever we'd have money issues, I'd cancel T4L. I ended up always coming back! Here's why. I'd be hanging with my kids (even to this day) and they'll mention some fact or something they knew related to what we are talking about or reading/watching. I'd say, I don't remember teaching you that?? The response was ALWAYS, oh, we learned that from T4L. It was so odd because I thought they were barely picking up anything, but they were AND it was sticking for years! My oldest is heading to the 9th grade and she still does this. LOL

I couldn't afford the big named stuff when my son was in kindergarten. I wondered how I would teach him to read because I had always used one particular program. We went through the phonics on the first grade T4L, and I just didn't think it was enough. It may just be my kid, but one day we whipped out a book and he was reading. He's the one kid I really can't say I taught to read. He picked it up with T4L.

I do think you may want to supplement with extra worksheets in writing or math and also some fun things, but it really is an amazing program.

Sorry for rambling. hehe
    Amber Cross likes this.

fairylover is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

Time4Learning does work. We have had similar experiences as you Robin. We will come across something that I think he has had no exposure to and he starts telling me all about it. When I asked where he heard about it he will say, "Time4Learning." I'm so glad that we have never had to spend money on other curriculum. We are happy to spend that money on field trips and fun activities.
    Amber Cross likes this.
    Kathi Homeschooling Mama to Twelve year old Dakota