New to Homeschooling, advice?
    Hailee'sMom is offline Junior Member Newbie

Question New to Homeschooling, advice?

Hello all,
    I enrolled my 5 year old daughter into this program a few weeks ago. She absolutely loves it and always wants to do more. However, I am new to homeschooling and I want to make sure that I'm giving my daughter the most out of this program. Do any of you have advice? Also, if anyone has any suggestions on ways to help a kindergartner learn how to write please let me know. Lastly, I would like to know if any of you have found any useful resource sites that I could download and print out things for her to do. I would really like to have more hands on work for her to do.

Sorry for all of the questions in one thread, but I figured this was the best place to find answers.

If any of you are(or have been) homeschooling your kindergartner I would love to speak with you. Anyone who home schooled their children at one point and later placed them in a public school, I would love to speak with you as well.

Thanks so much and I hope to hear back from some of you soon,
    Amanda.

fairylover is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

Welcome to the forum Amanda. I'm so glad your daughter likes the program. We have been using time4learning for over 5 years now and still love it. We used the Kumon workbooks for practice in handwriting when my son was that age. They helped a lot. You can usually get them at your local bookstore. Sometimes even the grocery store and I know stores like Target have many workbooks available. You can also use some of the free online learning sites like learninggamesforkids.com or starfall.com to add to your child's learning experience. My favorite thing is to read. Read to your daughter. Give her access to picture books that she can read to you. (Actually let her tell you the story about the pictures.) Let her see you reading. You would be amazed at how this simple thing can encourage your child to read.

You might want to join the Kentucky State Forum. Just go to the drop down menu at the top of this page that says State Forums. Click on that and then click on Kentucky. Please let us know if there is anything else we can help with.
    Kathi Homeschooling Mama to Twelve year old Dakota

rickvon2010 is offline Member

Amanda, I started homeschooling my daughter in July. She is 5 and also a kindergartner. She loves this program too, but I found it was not enough to meet her needs. She has almost completed the kindergarten T4L program in less than 2 months. I added the Timberdoodle basic curriculum, which includes geography, handwriting, reading, language, phonics, and visual perception worksheets to prepare the children to read. Along with this I added in bible, and P.E. I also make sure that I print all the T4L worksheets associated with the lessons. With all this combined it seems like my daughter is no longer floating through the lessons and is grasping the concepts being taught. I usually start off with worksheets or handwriting and she earns time on T4L with appropriate behavior. This is what works for us. Every child is different and you will be able to tell what pace your daughter will work at after a couple of weeks with T4L. In her spare time my daughter likes completing activities on Nick Jr, PBSkids.org, or national geographic for kids. If you have any additional questions let me know!
    Rick Von Linsowe, MS
    Air Force Family
    Homeschooling Dad of one 1st grade Princess

Blog Entries

You are so right Rick. Every child is different. My son would not have tolerated that much work at 5. He barely tolerates a couple of hours at a time now at 11. We each have to figure out what works best for our child. Have you found the forum for military families yet. Just go to the link at the top of the page that says State Forums. Click on that and then click on Military Families.

Hailee'sMom is offline Junior Member Newbie

Where do I find the timberdoodle curriculum? thank you for the suggestions.

Blog Entries

I have not heard of this curriculum before. Perhaps try a google search for it.

ContentWritings is offline Junior Member Newbie

Dear Hailee's,
    I am new here in this forum and I want to participate in this forum for provide help to all regarding academics and much more.
    Regarding your Question, I found timberdoodle website where you can get all the information you want.
    Hope this should help you !

Blog Entries

Hi ContentWritings. Welcome to the forum. Please introduce yourself a bit. How many children do you have? How long have you been homeschooling? I have an eleven year old son. I also have five adult children. I started using time4learning with my son in preK.

kins87 is offline Junior Member

An adivice that I like to give is: you should have - if it is possible - a certain room for teaching. Better not in the children's rooms or in the living room. If it is in a separate room the kids will feel more like.. it is a.. "ritual" and not part of their spare time that they spend in their rooms.

Blog Entries

kins87 that certainly sounds like a great idea for some families. Maybe if you don't have a spare room you could put special placemats on the table for school time. Some families light a candle to start their school day and then blow it out at the end of their school day. Whatever works for your family to make school time special.