New to Homeschooling - A Few Questions
    HDavison is offline Junior Member

Default New to Homeschooling - A Few Questions

I am new to homeschooling (just signed my boys up officially about 15 minutes ago) and I had a few basic (probably answered before) questions:

1. How do you structure your day? Do you follow a schedule (i.e. math at a certain time, lunch at a certain time, etc)

2. Do you work in a separate room in your house, or in a common living area? (i.e. personal "classroom" or the dining room)

3. Did you purchase specific materials/supplies/furniture for your homeschool, or just work with what you had at home already?

I am searching the Internet for items that could help me organize everything and keep tabs on all their lessons & work. (I have a vindictive ex, whom I *know* will cause problems for me homeschooling once he founds out I have pulled our son from public schools) I'm just wondering if anyone with homeschooling experience could share their infinite wisdom with a newbie like me.

Thanks everyone!

Mandy in TN is offline Senior Member

1. How do you structure your day? Do you follow a schedule (i.e. math at a certain time, lunch at a certain time, etc) This year we have different things going on at different times everyday, so our activities dictate our schedule.

2. Do you work in a separate room in your house, or in a common living area? (i.e. personal "classroom" or the dining room) We school wherever we want- dining room, living room, hearth room, game room, the bed, the car, the deck, the loft house on the swing set, the park, etc.

3. Did you purchase specific materials/supplies/furniture for your homeschool, or just work with what you had at home already? When I first started home schooling I probably purchased some materials and supplies, but not much. I already had art supplies, pencils, and paper. I never purchased any furniture specifically with home education in mind.

I am searching the Internet for items that could help me organize everything and keep tabs on all their lessons & work. (I have a vindictive ex, whom I *know* will cause problems for me homeschooling once he founds out I have pulled our son from public schools) I'm just wondering if anyone with homeschooling experience could share their infinite wisdom with a newbie like me.
    My older 2 are from a previous marriage, so I registered with an umbrella school whose headmaster would come to court with me if I needed him to do so. Surprisingly, my ex never took me back to court. I hope you are pleasantly surprised as well.

HTH-
    Mandy
    ds Doodlebug 11yo
    currently homeschooling with an eclectic mess of stuff

homeschool graduates:
    ds Cashew 20yo
    ds Peanut 22yo

fairylover is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

We're a lot like Mandy in that our day is governed by our outside activities. If we have a field trip or something fun to do, we put that first. Then we fit in T4L around that. Usually I try to do Language and Language Arts almost every day. We try to do Math several times per week. Science and Social Studies are usually only once or twice a week.

We usually work in my recliner in the living room. We have recently installed hookups so we can view the computer on our tv. This means that my son may be lying upside down on the couch or on the floor. If the weather is warm enough, we will work on the porch swing or out on the back deck. We do not have a designated "school" area.

I did not purchase anything specific to use for homeschooling except maybe a calendar.

The records that are kept on TIme4Learning have been great for us. At the beginning of a new course I print out the lesson plan for the course. Each day as my son works I mark down his grades on the lesson plan. Then when he finishes the course I print out the review for the whole course. I keep these in a notebook. If we would ever need the records they are all in one place. This does not take in to account all of our outside activities. I keep these on a calendar. Since I live in a state with no reporting, this is all the record keeping I do.

I hope you will stop over at the New Jersey Parent Forum and introduce yourself.
    Last edited by fairylover; 02-17-2012 at 05:31 PM.
    Kathi Homeschooling Mama to Twelve year old Dakota

antigua mom is offline Junior Member Newbie

i am new to this as well, my daughter is seven and was attendind a private school for some reason she was not doing well she is at a kindergaden level, i decided to try this way god knows i hope it works so far she is doing great , how do i keep her motivated, everything i give her to do she says i dont get this in school,,need help

Blog Entries

Usually the fun cartoony like characters keep the kids interested. If she has been going to school for a while you may need a time of deschooling. This is a time for her to relax and get away from the idea of school being hard and a time for you to get out of the school mindset. As you slowly ease back in to school, focus only on the things she is most interested in at first. Let her lead the way. If she wants to learn about bugs, get books from the library about bugs. Go outside and look for bugs. Do everything you can to learn about bugs. You can then play games like counting the bugs and things like that to bring in other subjects. As she is ready to learn more start doing the lessons on time4learning but only a few lessons a day until she is ready to move forward. Also use the Playground to help keep her interest. If she does 30 minutes of school work she can play the games on the Playground for 15 minutes.

I'm not sure where you live, but there are Parent Support Forums for every state. I suggest you join the one for your area. Also check out the new to homeschool page.

-danielle- is offline Junior Member

Quote Originally Posted by HDavison View Post
    I am new to homeschooling (just signed my boys up officially about 15 minutes ago) and I had a few basic (probably answered before) questions:

1. How do you structure your day? Do you follow a schedule (i.e. math at a certain time, lunch at a certain time, etc)

2. Do you work in a separate room in your house, or in a common living area? (i.e. personal "classroom" or the dining room)

3. Did you purchase specific materials/supplies/furniture for your homeschool, or just work with what you had at home already?

Thanks everyone!
    1. With 6 children I do feel the need to have structure in our day. We try to do all core subjects mostly before lunch. Sometimes we need to finish something in the afternoon, but usually this works. In the afternoon we have time for arts and crafts, extra projects, extra languages, music and sports (either at home or elsewhere).

2. We work mostly in our living room/family room/dining room (all 1 room )

3. We bought some chairs with seats a little higher, so it's easier for the smaller children to write. We have gathered lots and lots of (work)books, text books etc. This is our first year of using an online curriculum for our core subjects, so we have a lot of other materials after 8 years of homeschooling

You may be able to use following links if you want to set up a system of keeping track of lessons etc.
    180 Page Undated Planner - NEW BEGINNINGS and Donna Young's Homeschool Planners & How to Plan Homeschool

Blog Entries

Thanks for the links to those planners Danielle.

Syele is offline Member

I'm a single mom with only one kid. We've been using T4L since 2007. We are pretty relaxed around here so the schedule is loose: get up in the morning and get it done by lunch! Afternoon is mostly reading, going to library, other subjects I want to supplement with etc. She knows how many stars she must do per day on T4L, I don't allow skipping around but if she feels like doing social studies all week and then math all next week I let her.

I work from home and my computer and her computer are in a common room with a TV (we have a google TV and she does work on that sometimes too). That way I can keep an eye on her work and she can quickly ask me questions if needed.

We mostly work with what we have, but she absolutely needed a different computer than me (I need mine for work and taking turns did not work out for us). The google TV box is a new "toy" I bought this year lol but it would have been a good alternative for a separate computer if I had been low on cash for another computer.

Blog Entries

We have a cable that allows us to hook my laptop up to the tv. My son loves to do his work "on the tv".