New to Homeschooling and T4L- Need help determing starting point for 6th grader
Like Tree8Likes
  • 2 Post By fairylover
  • 2 Post By Mandy in TN
  • 2 Post By Mandy in TN
  • 2 Post By Mandy in TN

Thread: New to Homeschooling and T4L- Need help determing starting point for 6th grader

Ttownyvonne is offline Junior Member

Default New to Homeschooling and T4L- Need help determing starting point for 6th grader

Hi everyone! I am new to homeschooling; never thought I would be here, but here I am! I am an almost 49 year old single mom with 2 daughters; 24 and 11 and I am also a fulltime college student pursuing my BSW. My 11 year old has Juvenile Arthritis, Uveitis and some psychological issues. She goes to the doctor a lot and had to miss a lot of school so I decided to homeschool her and lessen the trauma of her having to deal with public school and people not understanding her; not to mention all the bullying she has gone through. With that said, I need to know how to determine a starting point for my daughter since she was in public school the first half of 6th grade. I want to be finished by early June and when I submitted the info on T4L, I wasn't aware they would start it out from the beginning. I did email them and they suggested for her to take the quizzes/tests to determine a starting point. So, do I start with the first chapter of tests from each subject and we do that first or what? I am overwhelmed more than I thought I would be about doing this. I would appreciate any help/advice anyone has to offer. I look forward to inner acting with everyone. By the way we are from a small town in eastern NC; Tarboro. Thanks to all!

fairylover is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

First let me say that I am so sorry your daughter is struggling with all these issues. I have arthritus myself so I know how painful it can be. Second I want to say welcome to the wonderful world of homeschooling. It is an exciting journey.

The way time4learning is set up you can use the program in whatever way best suits the needs of your child. You don't have to start at the beginning. You don't have to work the lessons in order. And you don't have to finish the year by June in order to take the summer off. You could end your work for the school year in June. Then in September come back and finish the sixth grade work before you start seventh grade. There is no time frame requirement. You also don't have to finish all of the subjects before you move ahead to seventh grade. My eleven year old usually is working on three different grade levels. He struggles with reading so he is on a lower level for language arts extensions. He loves science so he is at a higher level for it.

I would start at the beginning of sixth grade and do the chapter tests. If she scores well on a chapter test then skip ahead to the next chapter test. If she doesn't do well, go back to the beginning of that chapter and work through the lessons. Then retake the test. This is the best way to learn what material she already knows and where she needs help.

You may want to check out the North Carolina forums. That's where you will meet people who have dealt with your state laws and understand all the ins and outs of homeschooling in NC.
    MamaToHerRoo and Ttownyvonne like this.
    Kathi Homeschooling Mama to Twelve year old Dakota

Mandy in TN is offline Senior Member

With the math I think both the old program is still out there, so (if that is still the case) be aware that you don't need to do all the available activities. After looking through what is available and deciding if you want to use the old or new lessons, feel free to skip or have her test out of whatever she already knows and only work through only those activities that cover topics she hasn't covered. If she needs more practice with a topic, you can use the activities from the other program as additional practice.

HTH-
    Mandy
    Last edited by Mandy in TN; 01-04-2014 at 10:07 PM.
    ds Doodlebug 11yo
    currently homeschooling with an eclectic mess of stuff

homeschool graduates:
    ds Cashew 20yo
    ds Peanut 22yo

Elementary school science and social studies are survey subjects. They are subjects where, unlike math, it is not necessary to master a topic in order to move on to the next one. If you like, you could ask her which of the topics she has covered and then choose from the ones she hasn't covered. You could also look at what is required by your state and cover some of the same topics. Anyway, I wouldn't fret over trying to finish everything available for grade 6 science and social studies. When the day you want to call your last rolls around, just stop.

Mandy
    ds Doodlebug 11yo

homeschool graduates:
    ds Cashew 20yo
    ds Peanut 22yo

LA will have several book studies. You could just pick two to read and just complete the activities that go with those two rather than the activities that go with all the book studies.
    ds Doodlebug 11yo

homeschool graduates:
    ds Cashew 20yo
    ds Peanut 22yo

Ttownyvonne is offline Junior Member

Thank you so much! I guess I will learn the ins and outs eventually. I so appreciate your help!

fairylover is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

Feel free to ask as many questions as you need to. We are all in this together.
    Kathi Homeschooling Mama to Twelve year old Dakota