new in NC and need advise -- way behind due to material not covered at Charter School
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Wendy Collins CW is offline Junior Member

Default new in NC and need advise -- way behind due to material not covered at Charter School

Here is my problem, my 9 yr old was in 3rd grade she has passed the whole years 3rd grade LA and 4th grade moving to 5th, passed 1/3 of 3rd grade math, doing great in all other subjects as well average 92% overall and its only been since March 15th but she works long and hard to get done so she can have the evening to play.

EXCEPT Science and S Studies, their charter school must not have followed the state curriculum, I had to move both of them back to 2nd/3rd grade Social studies and science because when I looked at lesson plans for their grade I asked do you know this or this since we came home Feb 29th and March 15th so I would know where to start, my son knew nothing that was grade 6, then 5, then 4, then 3 and so on. My daughter knew very little.

So even though they technically don't have to know about the Olmecs and Vikings I feel they need to go back and do what they were to do the entire school years.

My question is, would it be to confusing to do the lower grade and the next at the same time. The topics are so different I think it is Ok but am not sure.

fairylover is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

I don't think it would be confusing at all to do second and third grade social studies at the same time. as you said, it is different material. The only thing I would be concerned about is the amount of work they have to do. If you see them stressing because they are doing too much work then I would back off a bit. Another thing to consider is that they may have done the material but just don't remember it. What I have done if I'm not sure if my son already understands the material is to skip ahead and let him do the final test. If he passes the test, we skip that unit. If he doesn't pass the test with a sufficient grade, we go back and do the material and then do the test again.
    Kathi Homeschooling Mama to Twelve year old Dakota

Quote Originally Posted by fairylover View Post
    I don't think it would be confusing at all to do second and third grade social studies at the same time. as you said, it is different material. The only thing I would be concerned about is the amount of work they have to do. If you see them stressing because they are doing too much work then I would back off a bit. Another thing to consider is that they may have done the material but just don't remember it. What I have done if I'm not sure if my son already understands the material is to skip ahead and let him do the final test. If he passes the test, we skip that unit. If he doesn't pass the test with a sufficient grade, we go back and do the material and then do the test again.

thanks I asked the school about it due to him saying he did not do South America this year that is part of our core curriculum, I called they explained that they do not and don't h ave to follow the states guidlines like public schools do.

So we did take a few test and scored anywhere from 16% to 46%, so went back to 4th, same thing, 3rd same thing, I just wanted to pull my hair out.

Will keep an eye on time we are required 185 days and 1085 total hours so its really close to 6 hours and we run out of things to do so will add the extra SStudies on those days

again ty

Mandy in TN is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Wendy Collins CW View Post
    EXCEPT Science and S Studies, their charter school must not have followed the state curriculum, I had to move both of them back to 2nd/3rd grade Social studies and science because when I looked at lesson plans for their grade I asked do you know this or this since we came home Feb 29th and March 15th so I would know where to start, my son knew nothing that was grade 6, then 5, then 4, then 3 and so on. My daughter knew very little.

So even though they technically don't have to know about the Olmecs and Vikings I feel they need to go back and do what they were to do the entire school years.

My question is, would it be to confusing to do the lower grade and the next at the same time. The topics are so different I think it is Ok but am not sure.
    FWIW, here are my thoughts- social studies is a survey subject. You will never know all there is to know about history and the topics do not build on each other. A person can be an expert in the the field of ancient Egyptian studies and know next to nothing about the ancient Chinese. There are people who spend their whole lives studying the Civil War. IMHO- just start them at grade level.

If you want them to have some background information/ a short overview, get Gombrich' A Little History of the World and listen to it on audio in the car when you are out and about or at night before bed. If you want a little more detailed information, get Story of the World volumes 1-4 on audio. I wouldn't sweat it.

Science topics in elementary school do not build on each other. Don't worry about it. You are shooting for exposure- exposure to topics in life science, earth science, physical science (chemistry/ physics), and technology. They should also be exposed to scientific investigation within these topics. Some classical schools don't begin formal science until 7th grade and these students go on to do well in college. If you are freaking out, get something like the Glencoe Red Level science text and run through it. Here is a website to give you an idea of the topics in Red Level.

HTH-
    Mandy
    ds Doodlebug 11yo
    currently homeschooling with an eclectic mess of stuff

homeschool graduates:
    ds Cashew 20yo
    ds Peanut 22yo

Blog Entries

You were concerned about the number of hours required by your state. The thing you have to remember is that some of that time can be helping you cook, going to the library, going on field trips, planting in your garden. Even mowing the lawn and washing dishes. Children in schools spend a great deal of time standing in line, waiting their turn, waiting for the teacher, waiting while they take attendance. Those kids are not sitting at their desks actively involved in learning for six or seven hours a day. We should not expect our homeschooled kids to spend that much time sitting learning either. Plus the schooled kids have to share one teacher with 30 or 40 other students. Your kids only have to share you with the two of them. It's just not the same. Sure you have to be a bit creative about how you write the report, but not about how you spend the time. My fourth grader doesn't spend two hours a day on curriculum. But he is learning from the time he gets out of bed until he is asleep again.

flyinglow is offline Junior Member

Kathi,

I couldn't have said that better myself! You are exactly right. Kids are being molded to memorize everything in school...and not to learn it. I can see my kids actually learning the material at home and not just memorizing it to pass a test.
    Arlene

Wife, Mom, Teacher, and Best Friend to my Husband

Our humble home includes: 2 kids, 3 dogs, 6 chickens and 2 fish

thanks for all the info, I even told my son you don't have to remember the Vikings tomorrow, just remember long enough to take the quiz and I wondered about hours, that seemed like so much, Im burned out just trying to find things for them.

Blog Entries

He may not remember the Vikings tomorrow, but when something comes up that involves Vikings in the future, a little bell will go off in the back of his mind to say, "Remember when you studied them before? You can look it up again." That's what's important. It's not important that they memorize facts. It's important that they learn how to find the information when they need it. We sometimes write timelines so my son can see how things fell in to place. I let him use the timeline during a test. I want him to remember how to access information.

thanks, I think I am trying to do too much, our public and charter schools are required 7 hours, home school 5 and from what i have found I have to add to that for lunch so 5.5. so here was
    my normal Monday schedule is
    start at 10am
    45m LA
    45m LA Ext
    30m Grammar
    30m 1 page with small quiz of famous person in time (famous Vikings right now)
    30 min Lunch
    30m Solar System for 8 weeks
    30m S. America

1 hour study skill (time to wrap you anything yo are behind on, 1 book report every 6 weeks etc.)
    which only gives me 4 hours, DSS has already been here about the schedule and that I need to get it to 5 hours of actual academics 2.5 hours to do lunch, snack, study skills, laundry etc to meet the 7/ 2 hours that they Do nothing but wait around

by Tuesday with it being Easter so now I have to have a 5 hour academic schedule

study skill they won't accept so that ship got stuck at the docks so thinking of adding 60 mins reading that they normally do on their time and a short summary of the chapter(s) they read for the upcoming book report.

Mandy in TN is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Wendy Collins CW View Post
    thanks, I think I am trying to do too much, our public and charter schools are required 7 hours, home school 5 and from what i have found I have to add to that for lunch so 5.5. so here was
    my normal Monday schedule is
    start at 10am
    45m LA
    45m LA Ext
    30m Grammar
    30m 1 page with small quiz of famous person in time (famous Vikings right now)
    30 min Lunch
    30m Solar System for 8 weeks
    30m S. America

1 hour study skill (time to wrap you anything yo are behind on, 1 book report every 6 weeks etc.)
    which only gives me 4 hours, DSS has already been here about the schedule and that I need to get it to 5 hours of actual academics 2.5 hours to do lunch, snack, study skills, laundry etc to meet the 7/ 2 hours that they Do nothing but wait around

by Tuesday with it being Easter so now I have to have a 5 hour academic schedule

study skill they won't accept so that ship got stuck at the docks so thinking of adding 60 mins reading that they normally do on their time and a short summary of the chapter(s) they read for the upcoming book report.
    home school 5
    Think outside the box. These hours need not (and IMHO should not) be 5 hours of seat work!

Language Arts
    Read a picture book and linger over the pictures- 45 min
    be sure to have a weekly Teatime poetry session (it doesn't have to include hot tea. it can be cookies and milk. it just needs to be something to make it special!)- 30 min+
    Read through the Ruth Heller World of Language books! and make notebook pages or better yet poster board collages about each book- 1 hr+
    Read aloud a chapter book for any amount of time desired while your child builds with legos or colors- 30 min+
    Play scrabble- (this can go all day!)
    Mad Libs- 15 min+

Math
    Go to the grocery store with a calculator and add up cost as you go- 30 min+
    Count the window panes in the house, the light switches, the electric socks- 15 min+
    Sort socks according to whom they belong, color, etc. and then find mates- 15 min+
    Play card games- 15 min+
    Play dominoes- 15 min+
    Play with pattern blocks- 15 min+
    Play with legos- 15 min+
    Play Monopoly- (this can go on all day!)

Science/ Health/ Technology
    Go to the grocery store and discuss the food pyramid/ healthy eating- 30 min+
    coloring pages covering science information- 15min
    build a science project (think baking soda volcanos, painted models of the solar system)- 1 hr+
    Go on nature walk at the park or elsewhere (maybe use the books in the Take a Walk Series)- 1 hr+
    Go to the science center or natural history museum- 2 hr+
    Plant flowers or a garden, include a trip to the nursery- 3 hr+
    snap circuits- for however long he wants!- 45 min+
    all kinds of science kits! -think slimey and gooey- 30 min+
    doing just about anything on the computer can be technology (webkins has a game in the arcade that teaching typing skills)- 30 min+

Social Studies
    coloring pages covering history information- 15 min
    build a history project (think viking funeral prye out of popscicle sticks, pyramid out of sugar cubes set in a diarama)- 1 hr+
    Go on a field trip to the post office- 1 hr+
    Go on a field trip to the police station- 1 hr+
    Go on a field trip to the fire station- 1 hr+

Fine Arts
    Listen to classical music in the car or during lunch!- 15 min
    Listen to the free shows on Classics for Kids (be sure to print off the activity sheets)- 15 min+
    Go on a field trip to an art gallery- 2 hr+
    Go see a play- 2 hr+
    Play go fish art cards- 15 min+
    ds Doodlebug 11yo
    currently homeschooling with an eclectic mess of stuff

homeschool graduates:
    ds Cashew 20yo
    ds Peanut 22yo

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast