Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By fairylover
  • 1 Post By fairylover
  • 2 Post By Mandy in TN

Thread: New Pre-K Homeschooler

ChanH is offline Junior Member

Default New Pre-K Homeschooler

Hi,

I'm Chan and I will begin homeschooling my 3 year old son in Jan (2013). Wish me luck!

fairylover is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

Hi Chan. Welcome to Time4Learning and the wonderful world of homeschooling. You don't say which state you are in so I can't refer you to your state forums. If you go to the drop down menu at the top of the this page that says State Forums. Then click on your state. That's the best place to find resources that are close to you.

For a three year old the best recommendation I have is to play, play and more play. Read to him a lot. And then play some more. Let him help you in the kitchen, as you clean up the yard, as you sort laundry. Point out letters and numbers on signs as you walk down the street. Learning should be lots of fun for him. Please let us know if you have any questions or anything we can help with.
    lovehmschlg likes this.
    Kathi Homeschooling Mama to Twelve year old Dakota

ChanH is offline Junior Member

Thanks for the welcome! I'm in College Station,TX currently.

Blog Entries

Check out the Texas State Forum. Also feel free to come back here with any questions you might have.

Blog Entries

Yes, at this age children are not really playing with each other yet. They are playing beside each other. Gradually they learn to actually play with each other as they are around the same kids on a regular basis. This is another reason why I think local homeschool support groups are so important.
    lovehmschlg likes this.

Mandy in TN is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by jollysmith View Post
    I believe it is important for the kids of around 3 years to be with peers so that they can develop social skills and can learn from each other. Though, I don't believe they need a formal education. Letting them to meet twice or thrice in a week in a playgroup is sufficient for developing social and mental development.
    Everyone is entitled to their opinion.

However, this is the starting point for the argument that children need to be in classrooms. I don't buy that attempting to herd children into groups of like age children encourages the acquisition of appropriate social skills. I would in fact argue that without loving guidance and/ or modeling of positive social skills the behavior of a group of children left to their own devices is far more likely to devolve into Lord of the Flies than for the group to on their own instruct one another in how to appropriately handle social interaction.

Really, whoever is leading the toddler/ preschool playgroup would in theory be providing the model for social skills and mental development. In reality the person who presides over these gatherings of like age toddler or preschool children is likely there simply to see that the little people do not hurt themselves. This person has likely not received any guidance from the hiring institution or the parents on what specific social skills should be taught, how they should be taught, and no agreement is typically made between the parent and the institution on the desired longterm goals of this instruction.

For those of us who are deliberate in habit training our children and who are in a position to be at home with our children, we have seen the village and have consciously removed our families from it. When we were not in a position to be with our toddler or preschool children, we in no way assume that the social skills being "taught" in a pack of children is aligned with our longterm goals of appropriate behavior and spend our time with our children undoing the damage done in the time spent with mob mentality.

This, of course, is just my observation and my opinion. ;-)
    Mandy
    jpenn and lovehmschlg like this.
    ds Doodlebug 11yo
    currently homeschooling with an eclectic mess of stuff

homeschool graduates:
    ds Cashew 20yo
    ds Peanut 22yo

Blog Entries

Well said Mandy. Wish I could have thought of all that this morning.