New - Question about hours/attendance. HS student
    rjsmom is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default New - Question about hours/attendance. HS student

Hi all..new here, hoping maybe someone might be able to help. I live in Ky. and according to the home school laws here, with regards to attendance, the requirement states "(KRS 158.080, KRS 158.070): 185 days, including no less than the equivalent of 177 six (6) hour instructional days or 1062 instructional hours". Would anyone know if this means as long as the hours total 1062 at the end of the school yr or if it has to be 6 hours a day, mon-fri..the same as PS? For instance, can we split up the hrs between days some times - say if we had a weekday where we did 4 hrs and then 2 hrs on a Sat/Sun? Also, for anyone who lives in Ky or could give their opinion, do you mark down attendance by putting the hours each day, as present/p, or maybe both?

Appreciate any help, and ty in advance

fairylover is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

I'm not sure how it works in Kentucky. In other states as long as the total number of hours is there over the course of the school year it's okay. Your best bet would be to check with the Kentucky Parent Forum. You can find it by going to the drop down menu at the top of this page that says State Forums. Click on that and then click on Kentucky.

Don't forget to include library time, walks outside, setting the table for dinner, helping with chores around the house, and other things like that in your hours. Those are all learning activities.
    Kathi Homeschooling Mama to Twelve year old Dakota

Thank you!

Thanks for your help! and for the suggestions on activities.

Brook Simmons is offline Senior Member

Form what I have read from other homeschoolers when researching planner its an "or" most of them decided just to keep track of there teaching days. They just made a chart some wrote the number of hours for the day and some just put an x for attendance. your just keeping it for records to show you are following the law.

I think laws like that are funny because people are innocent until proven guilty which means they actually have to prove that you broke the law. You are basically doing it for them to show good faith.

Blog Entries

I think you're right Brook. It does not have to be a certain number of hours and a certain number of days. It can be either one.

Polly Ann Gulley is offline Junior Member Newbie

I live in Missouri and it is my understanding that for the time to count it has to be a learning experience. You can't count regular chores that a child is used to doing.

Blog Entries

To me a child is learning while they are doing regular chores. They are no different than what would be taught in a home economics class. My granddaughter uses a boxed curriculum. Part of her curriculum is "home life." She does projects all the time like planning and cooking a meal or planting a garden. It is a required part of her curriculum.

But, as I have said before, each family has to decide what works for them. You have to decide what you consider learning activities and what is not. That's the wonderful thing about homeschooling.