New - T4L for One full week now!
    DebbyJG is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default New - T4L for One full week now!

I posted a few times over on the "thinking about it" board, but we've now been officially signed up and my daughter (age 6) has been using T4L for a week now. So far, we're happy with it. We're using it as our core, then adding in Bible, read-aloud time, handwriting, science experiments and art projects. I'm still using Math U See for her math, although I've let her play the activities in the math section just for fun. She's at the Grade 1 level, which seems pretty on target so far with all the activities.
    Here's a question for those with more experience at this -- how do you use the additional resource pages? Do you assign these as "homework" after the lessons are over, or do you only use them occasionally? I don't want to make my kid feel overwhelmed with the amount of work, but I want to make sure she's getting it all soaked in, too.

One other question: is there ANY way to go in, as a parent, and mark activities as "completed" even if the system doesn't recognize it as such? There have been several times already in just the few days we've been using this, where, for whatever reason, once we finish, the little arrow doesn't move or mark the activity as complete, so we have to go through and do the whole thing again. Also there have been a couple times when we've come to a lesson that is just way too easy for her and I'd like to be able to mark it "complete" or skip it somehow, but I don't see a way to do that.

Any help would be great! Also, was it just me, or were there problems with the site today? Several times we got "maintenence issue" problems (resulting, a few times, in the completed lesson not being marked as complete, as I wrote about above!) or the page just hung while loading. Is this a common problem with the site, do you know?

Thanks!!
    Debby
    Homeschooling, baby-slinging, mom of three!

DD 6 Natalie - DS 3 Ethan - DD 1 Ella

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Hi, Debby. Welcome!

There were a few issues with the site today. I don't think it lasted very long. Usually, if the site will be down for any length of time (such as for maintenance), there will be a notice posted on your student's log in page.

Unfortunately, there is no way to mark an individual activity as "Complete" without completing it. If you are having trouble with activities not being marked as "Complete", you might read this information.

There are a lot of ways to use the resource sheets ("printables" or "worksheets"). I'll leave it to other forum members to share what works for them.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

Hi Kelly,
    Yeah I think that was probably it (the wrong way exiting). There were a few times that the page seemed to be hanging for a LONG time, so I probably clicked on the window "x" instead of the "exit" button on the page. Thanks for the link; I didn't know that not using the exit buttons would mark the page as incomplete. Hopefully site maintenence won't happen TOO often (at least, not right during the middle of the day!) We have Road Runner, which we just got two weeks ago - woohoo! - so it wasn't an issue of slow loading on our end.

I do wish there was a way to mark some complete, though, for the reason of, for example, it seems my DD age 6 is not quite ready for grade 1 on the math section, but when I dialed it back to the K level, oh my goodness the activities we've done so far feel like a jump back to my 3 year old's level. It's felt like fingernails on a chalkboard, having to go through those lessons (with the so VERY descriptive directions -like on HOW TO CLICK AND MOVE YOUR MOUSE!!!) just to get through the activity. So I have to scroll down and pick out something farther down on the page for her to do, but of course the arrow stays back up there at the first activity. If I could I would mark "complete" up to about, oh, three quarters through the K level math, so that when she goes in to do her math work the arrow would be pointing to the right activity for her to do. I know, I know, I could just go in sometime on my own to go through all those painfully easy activities for her and so they'd all be marked as "complete", but who really wants to sit and do that??

JenninMN is offline Junior Member

I think that, if you take the end of chapter test, it will mark the entire icon as mastered. My son had trouble with the last activity of one chapter, and we had to exit. When he took the test, it marked it as mastered and moved the arrow. Hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by JenninMN
    I think that, if you take the end of chapter test, it will mark the entire icon as mastered. My son had trouble with the last activity of one chapter, and we had to exit. When he took the test, it marked it as mastered and moved the arrow. Hope this helps.
    Wow, that REALLY helps! I'll try that tomorrow with her. Thanks so much!

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

There are no end-of-chapter tests in the core language arts curriculum. I think you were hoping to mark some of the kindergarten language arts activities as completed, and I don't see a way to do this.

In subjects and at levels where there is an end-of-chapter test, you can mark the ENTIRE chapter as mastered by passing the test. Thanks for adding that info, JenninMn.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

I'm actually most interested in marking off chapters in the math area. I moved my daughter's math level down from grade 1 to K, because she was doing so poorly on the math quizzes and it was discouraging her, but much of the early K math stuff is, on the other hand, so DUH for her that I wanted to basically skip to about the second half of the K math. We use Math-U-See as our math core curriculum, which has a different approach than most math programs. It's not a spiral program but a mastery program, and it approaches the topics in a completely different order. So although my daughter is REALLY good a math and she loves it, and is way beyond the "match the patterns" part of K-level math, she hadn't had some of the material at the grade 1 level of this program, so it was causing her to quickly dislike math. Which I didn't want to see, because I remember my own school math phobia!