Odessy Writer

Thread: Odessy Writer

JMF
    JMF is offline Junior Member

Default Odessy Writer

I'm not sure I am posting this in the right forum but hopefully someone will be able to answer my question.

One of my daughters recent lessons in Language Arts required her to type things using Odessy Writer. She spent a lot of time reading the paragraphs and typing out the answers but when she was all finished it would not allow for her to save it, print it, or do anything else with it. We didn't know where to go from there and ended up loosing all her hard work. Has anyone used this program with T4L and how do we get it to work? Thank you in advance with your help!

hearthstone_academy is online now Administrator
    Blog Entries

I'm so sorry her work was lost! That is frustrating for a child. Odyssey Writer was designed to be used in a classroom; therefore, it's sometimes confusing for individual users at first.

When your student finishes an assignment, they should click "Hand In". This does not actually hand it in to anyone, although they may need to click the name of a (pretend) "teacher" to hand it in to. All this does is save the assignment and make it appear in your student's reports. It will be clickable within the reports, so you can view and print it from there, any time.

Time4Learning is a curriculum; it isn't a school. Therefore, T4L does not employ teachers, and parents are responsible for grading their own children's writing assignments manually (just as parents are responsible for grading the worksheets). I print my kids' writing assignments, and then mark them up for misspellings, poor grammar, etc.

If you are not comfortable assessing your student's writing, you might consider Time4Writing, which offers eight-week writing courses for first through twelfth grades. Students are assigned to a real, live teacher, who personally grades and comments on their writing assignments. The courses are $99 each . . . about twelve dollars a week for a personal writing tutor! I have definitely found it to be worth the price.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

JMF
    JMF is offline Junior Member

Thank you so much! That makes a lot of sense and I will remember that for the next time. =) I really appreciate your help!

fairylover is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

Thanks for stepping in on this one Kelly. I wasn't really sure how to use Odyssey Writer.
    Kathi Homeschooling Mama to Twelve year old Dakota

brill is offline Member

Hi,

My kids don't get odyssey writer when they want to get the lesson of writings in Grade3.Such as:OWR3125V, OTR3125P, OWR3127P, OWR3128I

OWR3131I ,OWR3134I, OWR3136V, OWR3136P ,OTR3139p ,OWR3141V ,OWR3142V ,34230, 34236 ,34239 ,34245 ,34248 ,34254 ,34275 ,34281 ,34257 ,34263

34266 ,34272 ,34283 and 34282.

brill is offline Member

Kindly guide me as I believe these lessons would be beneficial for my kid writing skills.....

hearthstone_academy is online now Administrator
    Blog Entries

Hi, brill. I'm not sure what you are asking. When you say your kids don't "get" Odyssey Writer, do you mean they don't understand how to use it, or that it doesn't pop up for them? If the Writer doesn't pop up for them during the writing assignments, you might have a popup blocker that you need to disable.

If it's that they don't understand how to use it, here it is in a nutshell: Odyssey Writer will pop up any time there is a writing assignment. The student needs to complete the assignment within the Writer, and then click "Hand In". This marks the assignment as complete, and allows you to view or print what they have written from within their reports. You can choose to print it and grade it manually, or just view and discuss it.

I hope this helps. If you still have questions, feel free to ask.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!