Preparing your children for Quizzes and Tests - New to T4L

Question Preparing your children for Quizzes and Tests - New to T4L

I am wondering how other parents and students prepare for their quizzes and tests? Do you print out material from T4L until/lesson that they are working on as a review? Do parents have their student use a notebook to take notes, do you make vocabulary cards, print past quizzes and review? I am looking for the most efficient way to help my students/kids study for their tests and quizzes on T4L. We just starting homeschooling. I have 6 children (21, 20, 15, 12, 10 and 8) and I am homeschooling the 12, 10 and 8 year old. Any tips or suggestions on how to study with all online classes would be great. We are also going to be supplementing with spelling, sign language, art and physical education. For me as my hardest challenge is how to schedule time and breaking up the weeks lesson plan I printed from Activity Scheduler. Do you have them do a lesson/worksheet and then review and quiz on that short lesson in the same day? Curious on feedback of how others are doing it. My 12 year old is special needs and works efficiently at about a 2nd grade level so tweeking his lessons will take some time as I figure out what level he is truly learning at in each area. My 10 year old is working at 5th grade level and my 8 year old is at 3rd grade level. We are in Michigan (Lapeer County). I am excited about the year ahead just love to hear how others are accomplishing their school year. Thanks - Amy

fairylover is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

Welcome to the forums ACLane. I have an 11 year old son. We work through as many lessons as he will tolerate in a day. Some days his attention span is longer than others. Ideally I would like him to work through the lesson and the quiz in one day. But that doesn't always happen. For subjects like math the only thing you can do to prepare is to work through the lessons. If you think your child is struggling with the material you can go through the lesson again or you can make up problems on your own to add to the lessons. In subjects like social studies we like to make a timeline. The timeline helps to prepare for a test. It also helps you to remember things just by writing them down. Notecards are great for science. We use whichever technique works best for that subject.

One of the great things about time for learning is that you can use multiple grade levels. So if your son does well in math or science but not so well in reading you can put him in different grade levels for each subject. Please let us know if we can help with anything. We're all in this together.
    Kathi Homeschooling Mama to Twelve year old Dakota

Blog Entries

I forgot to mention, you might want to check out the forum for your state. Just go to the drop down menu at the top of this page that says State Forums. Click on that and then click on your state. Enjoy.

Kathi

Thank you for your reply. They do typically take the lesson and quiz in the same day. That doesn't seem to be an issue. The preparing for the test seems to be a bit overwhelming. While their grades are good they are studying an incredible amount of time due to the vast amount a material covered. I am talking about Science and Social Studies mostly. I suppose I could go through the quizzes leading up to the test and create a study guide for them that way. We already are taking notes, printing important facts and writing definitions and key terms. We are new to it this year and just working out the kinks I suppose.

Blog Entries

I think it's all about trial and error. You have to find the methods that work best for your family. You may also find that what works great for one child does not work at all for the other one.