Previous grade level review.....
    4ofharts is offline Junior Member

Default Previous grade level review.....

Hi, I'm new here so, like most others, I have a TON of questions!! I am starting my boys (3rd and K) on T4L next week after I have had the chance to become more acclimated with the site. I would really like my oldest to "review" the second grade curriculum before starting his new, 3rd grade, curriculum. How many weeks/months should I use when generating his activities. I would also like my kinder kiddo to have an introduction to Pre K before starting K. Both boys are very smart and I'm sure will roll their eyes at how easy it is for them, but I still want the review or at least introduction. My oldest son attended ps for K-2 and struggled the whole time. I was told that he was doing fine and that it was the "new" curriculum that the district introduced. I called the new curriculum the "if you didn't get it the first time, tough, we're moving on" curriculum!!! Hence the need I have for walking through 2nd with him. Anywho, any suggestions on how much time I should spend with this "review" would be greatly appreciated. Also, on his activity schedule, will it affect his grade if while during the review, we come across something that I feel he is well versed in and I skip the activity. If you CAN skip an activity?? Still getting to know how this works.... Again, any advice would be much appreciated!! Thank You!

fairylover is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

Welcome to Time4Learning 4ofharts. We love questions. I have often said that if you have a question you can believe that 6 other people have the same question and are too shy to ask.

I think a review is a great idea. If you want to spend a month or even two reviewing before you move on to the next grade level that is fine. Skipping lessons is also fine. Your final report at the end of the year will not even mention the lessons that you skip. It only gives you a report of the actual lessons that you do. Many parents do a review by going through the chapter tests. If your child does well on the test they obviously understand the material. The only time you really can't do this is with some of the language arts lessons. Some of these the final test is based on the story that is read. You have to read the story at least one time in order to answer the questions on the test.

In Texas you are basically not accountable to anyone so how you chose to homeschool is up to you. If it were me, I would do the chapter tests and then move on. If it looks like he is consistently doing well on the chapter tests, then I would just move him on to the next grade level. I would not use the activity scheduler until you finish the review. Then put in the number of months or weeks that you have left in your school year to figure out how many lessons your child will need to do each day to complete them in your time frame. I have had times when we did not finish a level in one school year. We just finished it up in the fall before we moved on to the next level.

I would suggest that you check out the Texas Parent Forum. You can find it by going to the drop down menu at the top of the page that says State Forums. Click on that and then click on Texas. Also I think that it is so important to connect with a local homeschool support group. They can help you the most with issues that come up locally. They also will be the schoolmates for your children. Most local support groups have a variety of activities from field trips to park days and everything in between.

Please fell free to come back and ask any other questions you might have.
    Kathi Homeschooling Mama to Twelve year old Dakota

4ofharts is offline Junior Member

Thank you for the information! You answered my question completely and that's greatly appreciated!!

Kimberlym7 is offline Junior Member Newbie

I didn't ask the original question but I was wanting too, thanks for the answer.. I have an eleven year old son who struggles in ELAR, he was in fifth grade this year but they want to hold him back due to not passing the STAR reading.. But he passed the Math, so he is on two different levels.. I'm glad to know that I can arrange the grade levels to suit his needs.

fairylover is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

I always say that if you have a question five other people have the same question. I'm glad we could help.
    Kathi Homeschooling Mama to Twelve year old Dakota