Question about my 2nd grader doing level 1 math
    Supermom is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default Question about my 2nd grader doing level 1 math

My 2nd grader is doing very well with level 1 math. We started the year on level 2 and it was just too difficult. I didn't want to rock the boat and try it again until she finished level 1 because it was upseting for her at times when she didn't "get it". She seemed to need a better foundation and the easier lessons in level 1.

So with the end of the school year coming up I'm wondering if I should 1) let her simply complete the level, enjoy her summer vacation, and start level 2 in the Fall. 2) have her get started on level 2 over the summer to work towards catching up. Or 3) work towards getting caught up during the next school year by doubling up or combing level 2 and 3.

I guess my question is should I be concerned about her being behind or should I just let her move along at her own pace and not be concerned about levels?

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

I can't advise as to your specific situation, but I can give you a couple of things to consider based on experience with my own children.

Some students need to begin at a lower level when they FIRST start learning on the computer, because they're trying to learn two things at once (i.e. how the program works AND the math concepts). After they are accustomed to a new way of studying, they can move up.

Math is a difficult subject for many children to learn on an imposed schedule. I have always preferred that my own children take time to truly master each concept before moving ahead.

One thing I appreciate about home schooling, and using Time4Learning in particular, is being able to allow my students to progress at their own rate.

Many families do use summers to "catch up" on just one subject.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

julieana is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default behind who

Hi,
    My daughter is also in 2nd grade doing 1st grade math. We started out the year doing 2nd grade math and had to put her down also. We just keep moving ahead and don't worry about catching up. I figure since we homeschool so what does it matter. Also, each child learns to walk , talk , and so forth at a different rate so what what makes this any different. I used to worry about them being behind when I first started homeschooling but I just graduated a 17 and 15 year old so I must have done something right. Don't worry about it..just keep moving forward and your child will let you know when she is ready for more. Have a blessed day!
    Tami
    Wild about Time4Learning

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Default Re: behind who

each child learns to walk , talk , and so forth at a different rate
    This is an excellent point. I have one who has graduated from college and two in high school (as well as three younger children). Each one has had areas where they tended to lag behind and other areas where they excelled.

By the time they're older teens, it evens out. For example, now that they're almost grown, I can't tell much difference in my children who learned to read at three and the one who couldn't read until almost eight.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

Supermom is offline Junior Member Newbie

Thank you so much for your comments. I really appreciate them.
    One of the beauties of homeschooling is that we can move at our own pace so why not take advantage of that?

Thanks again.
    Any other comments are welcome, too.

MaVel is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default "2nd Grader" doing 1st grade math

I tell my soon-to-be 8 yo boy he is in 2nd grade, but he does everything at his own level. His reading is accelerated. He does a lot of electronics and basic physics. But he is doing Level 1 math on Time4Learning and it works great for him. Since we don't follow a school year calendar, he will continue through the Summer, if neccessary, to finish (with time off for our annual vacation trip) and then just start doing Level 2. I am not sure that all public schools do work this difficult at those grade levels, anyway. And it doesn't matter. If he continues at the rate he is going, I figure he will probably finish 2nd grade math by next Christmas at least. Then we can go on to grade three. He may slow down the further he goes, but he will soon be "at grade level" according to Time4Learning, if it matters. As has been said here, we homeschool so we can best meet the needs of our children, so who cares what grade level they are in, if it meets their needs and they are progressing?

Betty is offline Junior Member Newbie

So glad to find this thread! I also have a DD that is in 2nd grade, but doing 1st grade level work. I pulled her out of school half-way through 1st grade. She should have been doing 1st grade work, but was still working at the K level. She was in the wrong placement based on the school system's testing. It's a long story, but she was placed in our home for adoption at age 4, finalized a year later. She was tested at a very traumatic time in her life. We did what the state told us to do that first year, then continued it until she was retested and we began to realize that what the school was doing and wanting to do just wasn't going to get her anywhere. That's when I decided to homeschool.

We have been at it for a little over a year now and she has made great progress, although I've been pretty sporadic with the lessons! I was a real estate agent and finally had to put my career on hold to give her the attention she needs. Just last week, we had her retested independently and this time, they told us she is of average intelligence, not developmentally delayed, as we were previously told. She does, however, have some significant LD in language areas, i.e., math and reading. I'm working on getting her extra help for that.

When I first found T4L, I had tried to put her in 1st grade math, but had to drop her back to K to close up some gaps. She has struggled with the concepts, but is finally "getting it" so we are moving a little faster now. We are also doing 1st grade LA, but she is moving a bit faster in that. We are doing better and getting more organized now that I am not working. I agree with the idea that kids should move at their own pace. We considered just holding her back a grade before deciding to homeschool because, with a June birthday, she is one of the youngest ones in 2nd grade. When you look at it that way, she is not really so far behind. She is actually, in many ways, running at a comparable pace to her cousin who is about 1 1/2 years older and is in accelerated PS classes. She's very bright, but has her struggles, too. That's why I love T4L and homeschooling. Kids can move at their own pace and not have to try to keep up with or be held back by the rest of their class.

momtogrif is offline Member

I have a son who is doing 2nd grade math but should be in 3rd grade! I had chosen the WRONG curriculum for him back in 1st grade and spent way too much time on it as it was a mastery program. So, when 2nd grade started I moved him back to 1st grade with a new curriculum and we haven't caught up yet. He's just starting multiplication while most of his friends are way past that now.
    But, I agree with everyone here. We homeschool to allow our children to grow and learn at their own pace. Right now I'm using T4L as a supplement to his current math program. Eventually I 'd like to just use T4L, but I want him to get both programs on the same page, so to speak. He's still learning how to use this website so I'm starting him in the 2nd grade math and letting him just choose lessons.
    I love the fact that T4L has different topics available that I haven't seen discussed in his current math program. So, we use his workbooks for doing problems and learning the multiplication but we use T4L for supplemental math topics that I don't see being covered(or being covered well) by the other curriculum.
    Hope this helps!
    Bonnie