REfusing to re-enroll back into Public School after Homeschooled
    pj54669 is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default REfusing to re-enroll back into Public School after Homeschooled

Hi everyone ,

I am new here so thank you for any information you may be able to give me I am wondering if anyone know if your residential school can refuse to allow your child enrollment back into their school after pulling them out and homeschooling for the last part of the year? He is dyslexic and I feel public school and getting his diploma is very important to him. He is 16 and in his junior year. The school said and I quote :"He is credit deficiant at this point and is no longer on a credit based track, we would have no basis on which to re-enroll him as traditional student. As with other students that are on HSED track we would send him to WTC anyway. If that is not the best option now,in your mind, you could continue to homeschool him and re-enroll him when you think he is ready to commit to the HSED coursework at WTC. Other options would be to open enroll to any surrounding alternative schools (Challenge Acadamy, SAILS in Sparta or Lacrosseroads"- end of quote. That is what they sent back to her. Now they know he is dyslexic and there is no mention of his IEP at all. They did not inform her of any problems with his IEP and online schooling either!!! Any ideas here?? He is not a troubled youth, he does not get into trouble with the law, he was simply a teen rebelling on a couple minor things like his cell phone. He knows that he needs to comply with school rules and get his education, and is heartbroken that his school won't allow him back in. HELP!!!! and Thank you

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Default Re: REfusing to re-enroll back into Public School after Homeschooled

I can't help you with the law, as each state's homeschool laws are different. All of mine have graduated from my family's home school, so I'm responding to let you know about that option.

All fifty states allow a parent to issue a homeschool diploma to their own child. As long as you have followed your state's homeschool laws and are homeschooling legally, employers are required to treat a homeschool diploma the same as any other diploma. Colleges are more interested in a student's test score exams than in how they learned what they know (whether that was homeschool, public school, or private school). Many colleges actively recruit homeschooled students.

When you homeschool, YOU decide what your child needs to do to graduate from your home school. When you have been dealing with public school requirements, it can be hard to wrap your head around the idea that you decide what equals a credit, you decide how many credits your child needs and in what subjects, you decide if their part time job will be worth half a math credit and half a life skills credit, etc.

Of course, it's a good idea to design your requirements so your child will succeed in life. I looked around online to see what various high schools required and modeled my requirements after those. They are all VERY different. There is simply no consistency, so don't worry whether yours is acceptable or not.

Here is an article called Defending the Diploma. It's on the Let's Homeschool High School site, which is the best place to learn about homeschooling high school. There are transcript and diploma templates there, and a wealth of advice and encouragement.

If you use Time4Learning, there are also transcript and diploma templates within your parent dashboard.

Good luck as you explore options for your son!

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!