should i slow him down?
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By fairylover

Thread: should i slow him down?

pollyanna is offline Junior Member

Default should i slow him down?

We have been doing T4L since the end of dec. we reviewed 1st grade math took him 4 weeks to go through it. well sencond grade math took him 4 monthes to go through he has 2 more chapters before he is done. yet in this time he has barley done any language arts. Should i slow down his math so he wil do more of his LA? he has finished everything else in second grade but LA.
    Thanks
    Pollyanna

fairylover is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

It's not unusual for a child to do better in one subject than in another. Obviously math is where his interest lies. If he enjoys math I see no reason to slow him down any. On the flip side though you have to look at your state laws. Do you have to report to anyone? Does he have to test on every subject every year? If you have to report or test you may want to encourage him to work a little more on the Language Arts.
    Kathi Homeschooling Mama to Twelve year old Dakota

thanks no i don't have to report to anyone. but i would feel better if he would work a bit more on language. but he is doing better sounding out words when he is looking things up online but after next week he will be in 3rd grade for everything but language arts. in LA extention he is still doing first grade and LA he has started 2nd but hasn't gotten too far.

Blog Entries

I am a firm believer in letting kids progress at their own level. It is not at all unusual for a boy to be slower in language than a girl. My fourth grader is working on 2nd grade language arts extensions. He is in fourth grade for language arts but is pretty far behind it when you compare his work to the other subjects. He has been a very reluctant reader. It has only been in the last few months that he has started reading for pleasure.

You might try having him do language first when he is fresh and ready to learn and then do math as sort of a reward for getting his language finished.
    pollyanna likes this.
    Kathi Homeschooling Mama to Twelve year old Dakota

thanks i will try that. sometimes all i need to hear is it is normal and all my worries disapear

Blog Entries

We all need to hear that from time to time.