So Confused on the orginazation
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    amycoffey2000@gmail.com is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default So Confused on the orginazation

I have read the getting started and figured out how many lessons in each subject my 4th grader should do a day. Is there any way to make it more clear as to What specific lesson they should do. My daughter opens up her page and literally could just click on dozens of lessons. I would like her to just see what she needs to do that week, or day even without seeing all the others. Is this possible? It just confuses me when I try to find the right lessons, i can only imagine what it will do to her. Help please!!!!!!!

fairylover is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

We start with the first lesson on the first page. After that there are arrows that point you to the next lesson. We just follow them in order.
    Kathi Homeschooling Mama to Twelve year old Dakota

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Amy, after your student logs in, he should select a subject (such as math, language arts, or social studies). When he clicks on the subject icon, he will see a flashing arrow, pointing at another icon. When he clicks on that icon, he will see another flashing arrow. When he clicks on that icon, he will be taken to a lesson activity.

When he finishes that lesson activity, he should select another subject icon (or the same subject icon) and repeat the process. The arrow keeps his place!

He needs to make sure he marks each activity as completed, so the arrow "knows" to proceed.

The arrow doesn't point to quizzes and tests on the text-based lessons, so I tell my kids to take the quiz or test at the bottom of the page immediately upon finishing an entire page of icons. They'll know they've finished, because the icons will all be checked off in some way.

It helps to think of the subject as a textbook . . . the next page of icons as chapters in the textbook . . . the next page as lessons in the chapter . . . and the final page as activities within the lesson.

Sometimes it helps if you print a page or so of the lesson plans and have them in hand as you follow the arrow yourself (but don't mark anything as complete). If's really second nature after a very short while.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

amycoffey2000@gmail.com is offline Junior Member Newbie

Thanks this helps. Kelly do you use this as your main curriculum source for you kids?

Blog Entries

I'm not Kelly but we do use Time4Learning as our main curriculum. We have used it since preK. My son is now starting fourth grade on some of his subjects. We also use Handwriting Without Tears and lots and lots of field trips. We love getting out and spending time with other homeschoolers at tennis, soccer, nature centers, environmental centers, and historical sites. That kind of rounds things out for us.

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

T4L is our core curriculum. I consider us eclectic homeschoolers, so we use a little of everything, and we love to do unit studies when there's time. Time4Learning is the one thing we do every, single day, though. It's fast and efficient and, even when I don't have time for extras, I know the basics (and then some!) have been covered.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

Gracemom is offline Junior Member

So, it goes from subject, to chapter, to lesson, to activities within lesson? So do they finish all the activities for each lesson in one day? I am trying to figure this out! Or does each activity count for a lesson?

Please let me know. I just started using it and have been letting my sons do 1 activity in science and math per day, and 2 activities in LA. If that isn't enough, I need to up it and quick! Don't want them to get used to that. Thank you for information!

Blog Entries

First you need to look at how many activities there are in a subject. For example fourth grade math has 259 activities. Then you need to look at how often you want to do math. If you want to do math for four days per week and for forty weeks during the school year, (to leave ample time for days off, field trips, sick days, and family vacations.) You would first multiply four times forty to see that you have 160 "school" days per year. Then divide the 259 activities by the 160 school days to get 1.6 activities per day. If my son is on a roll I will let him do more than 2 lessons per day. If we are having a bad day, we do less. We may skip work completely some days or even weeks if we have a lot of field trips planned. Maybe one day he is having a blast with math so we will spend all of our time on it and then the next day spend all of our time on science. It is totally up to you how you want to cover the 259 activities. And no one says you have to finish them all by June or even by September. We are behind on science and social studies this year, but we will make them up in the fall.

Mandy in TN is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Gracemom View Post
    So, it goes from subject, to chapter, to lesson, to activities within lesson? So do they finish all the activities for each lesson in one day? I am trying to figure this out! Or does each activity count for a lesson?

Please let me know. I just started using it and have been letting my sons do 1 activity in science and math per day, and 2 activities in LA. If that isn't enough, I need to up it and quick! Don't want them to get used to that. Thank you for information!
    Did you look at this page? It shows you how to plan how much to do.
    HTH-
    Mandy

Blog Entries

Thanks for chiming in Mandy. It's great to see new people joining the conversation.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast