So many lessons added... (5th grade math)
    -danielle- is offline Junior Member

Default So many lessons added... (5th grade math)

At the beginning of our schoolyear, we used the T4L lesson plan to make our own lesson plan. For math, there were 210 lessons.
    We divided the 210 lessons by the amount of schooldays planned. So far, so good. My daughter worked really hard and is doing well, even though this is her first year of taking math in English.

Today we check if we are still on schedule. I just found out that there were 230 lessons added to 5th grade math. Needless to say, we will not be able to finish them all.

I am wondering how other parents handle this. It seems that the curriculum is very complete and I really do not want to skip any subject covered by the curriculum.

I can't leave the lessons for next year, because for next year there are almost 600 activities...

Anyone have any ideas on how I should handle this? I do want to cover all the different subjects, but there are just so many lessons...

Something similar happened this year with Social Studies. During the year, a lot of lessons were added. I was able to adjust our plan, but this just seems way too much.

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

When the new fifth grade lessons were added, all of the old lessons were bundled up and placed at the end of the program, in a chapter called "Practice". The student isn't expected to do those lessons unless they are having difficulty with a certain concept, and you decide to assign additional practice. They were put there to avoid wasting some very good content. That's 148 lessons that you don't have to schedule (plus the associate quizzes, tests, and printables)!

This info will soon be added to existing scheduling guides.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

fairylover is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

Thanks for clearing that up Kelly.
    Kathi Homeschooling Mama to Twelve year old Dakota

Thank you for the explanation, Kelly.

It does leave us with 87 more activities to finish in the next 5 weeks, but, at least the workload for next year seems doable. I think we will be able to finish all the activities. We are definitely going to try.

I do love the way T4L math is divided into the different chapters. We have used some of the practice activities as well.

Blog Entries

Danielle remember that some of the new material may cover things you have already done. You could just do the tests to see if your child understands the material. If they can pass the test, skip the material. No one says you have to do every lesson.

Quote Originally Posted by fairylover View Post
    Danielle remember that some of the new material may cover things you have already done. You could just do the tests to see if your child understands the material. If they can pass the test, skip the material. No one says you have to do every lesson.
    That is a great idea! That way we can still cover the material without it taking up too much time.
    Thanks!

Blog Entries

We do that a lot with material that I think my son already knows. It helps cut down on the boredom that school sometimes causes.